Still Troubleshooting Cooling Issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

elbowcarey

Hey guys, 543 with a possible cooling issue..... My temp gauge does not get high but.......... I had a slight leak and since then I have been checking the cooling system and I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.....Need your guys help!!!!!!! The water pump pulley does not feel loose, does not leak, the belt is new, and I just put a new thermostat in.... but here's my worry, when I run it the hose going from the radiator to the water pump gets hot hot, the hose coming from the water pump going back up to the radiator is not hot at all. I'm worried that I will overheat the engine and cause bigger problems, how do I troubleshoot this issue? Any help would be great I have a lot of work I need to do and this is stopping me from doing it...........ThX Craig

jerry

Could be a clogged radiator not letting the coolant flow or the water pump has internal damage, loose impeller.
Buy a infrared thermometer first. It will cost between 20 and 30 bucks and then you will know what the temperatures really are in different spots it will eliminate a lot of guesswork.

OP
OP
E

elbowcarey

Buy a infrared thermometer first. It will cost between 20 and 30 bucks and then you will know what the temperatures really are in different spots it will eliminate a lot of guesswork.
I'm going to try and run and use the machine and watch the temp to see if the gauge shows temps climbing.... There was no problem prior and this is just an assumption that there's a problem... I have a thermoscan camera to use but as far as taking the outside temps of things not really sure how that helps find the issue, what is acceptable and what is not? The radiator on the thermostat side flows because when the thermostat was changed the fluid level dropped in the radiator, but I would have to check the other side cause that has not been checked yet. Water pump pulley does not have any in/out play to it but it appears to be original so ????? if it has an internal issue........I would rather work on the hydraulics vs. this bs!!!!!!!!!!

antfarmer2

I'm going to try and run and use the machine and watch the temp to see if the gauge shows temps climbing.... There was no problem prior and this is just an assumption that there's a problem... I have a thermoscan camera to use but as far as taking the outside temps of things not really sure how that helps find the issue, what is acceptable and what is not? The radiator on the thermostat side flows because when the thermostat was changed the fluid level dropped in the radiator, but I would have to check the other side cause that has not been checked yet. Water pump pulley does not have any in/out play to it but it appears to be original so ????? if it has an internal issue........I would rather work on the hydraulics vs. this bs!!!!!!!!!!
Best to take the info given to be sure if you fry the engine you can not play with the hydros

jerry

Best to take the info given to be sure if you fry the engine you can not play with the hydros
The camera is probably too general compared to the non-contact thermometer. If you check the t stat housing above and below the t stat and they are the same temp the t stat is open. You should also see a temp change on the rad side as it opens. I don't think you have posted any actual temp numbers yet so that would help if you knew what the temps really are in different places.

farmshop

The camera is probably too general compared to the non-contact thermometer. If you check the t stat housing above and below the t stat and they are the same temp the t stat is open. You should also see a temp change on the rad side as it opens. I don't think you have posted any actual temp numbers yet so that would help if you knew what the temps really are in different places.
Loosen hoses and possibly thermostat housing could be airlocked. Temp sensor wont read if there is no coolant on it

OP
OP
E

elbowcarey

Loosen hoses and possibly thermostat housing could be airlocked. Temp sensor wont read if there is no coolant on it
Thanks guys, I'm going to try warming it up and loosening some of the hoses once I know its hot enough for the thermostat to be open to make sure its not air locked......Hopefully thats it...Otherwise I will get the thermoscan next week and take some shots with temps to see where everything is at once warmed up to see if that will help figure out whats up.....Thanks again

OP
OP
E

elbowcarey

Thanks guys, I'm going to try warming it up and loosening some of the hoses once I know its hot enough for the thermostat to be open to make sure its not air locked......Hopefully thats it...Otherwise I will get the thermoscan next week and take some shots with temps to see where everything is at once warmed up to see if that will help figure out whats up.....Thanks again
Thanks Guys!!!!!
All the info is appreciated.... I'm not a mechanic so when something unfamiliar arises I do need help and you guys always pull through with an answer.............. In this case I was freakin' cause I thought there was a cooling problem, however at this time I think that this was a bad calll on my part and that it was nothing.... Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know when I have the next problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaahahaha Hey I only paid 1700 for my machine and at this point, "She's part of the family now" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Guys

bronkobillie

Thanks Guys!!!!!
All the info is appreciated.... I'm not a mechanic so when something unfamiliar arises I do need help and you guys always pull through with an answer.............. In this case I was freakin' cause I thought there was a cooling problem, however at this time I think that this was a bad calll on my part and that it was nothing.... Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know when I have the next problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaahahaha Hey I only paid 1700 for my machine and at this point, "She's part of the family now" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Guys
you might want to check the bottom of the resivoure for the coolant I have found mine plugged with fine dirt so it is unable to flow when needed.