small skid w/truck tires.. inner-tubes a must?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

I took the wheels off my small skid (case 1816) to have the rims sandblasted/painted and have these new snow tires put on. This is a very light skid and only minimal use around home here. I noticed upon taking old tires off each had a inner-tube. Do the thires have to have inner-tubes? if so, any make (I/E walmart,Napa..) or best to get certain ones from certain place? P.S. they look like regular tubes.. But been years since I ever had anything with tubes.

Tazza

Staff member
Only need them if they leak any will do
As long as the tube size is correct, brand doesn't matter.
Ideally, tubes are not needed if the rim/tyre is in good shape. It makes small punctures easy to repair, with a tube, the tyre needs to be removed to get to the tube....
As you say it's just home use, tubes are fine if they leak.

ancomcabs

I have an S-130. I put together a dedicated set of rims/truck snow tires for the winter plowing. Used narrow skid steer rims and the appropriate sized truck snow tire. No tubes, they work excellent and I can notice the difference in traction vs. the wider typical skid steer tires. They are getting a workout here in New England this winter

mark18mwm

I run two different skids steers in the winter, both use tubes with truck tires. The reason we use tubes is on the ice and snow we run lower air pressure for traction. The lower air pressure makes tubeless more susceptible to popping the bead when turning when there is good traction, a tube will not go flat if the bead opens up and seems to helps keep the tire seated to the wheel and prevent the bead leaking or popping loose loosing the air. Also, I don't believe what tubes you use. we use the cheapest tubes from a local farm supply store (Mill's Fleet Farm). I like the tubes, they make life easier for us, even though they are a bit harder to mount.

lesgawlik

I run two different skids steers in the winter, both use tubes with truck tires. The reason we use tubes is on the ice and snow we run lower air pressure for traction. The lower air pressure makes tubeless more susceptible to popping the bead when turning when there is good traction, a tube will not go flat if the bead opens up and seems to helps keep the tire seated to the wheel and prevent the bead leaking or popping loose loosing the air. Also, I don't believe what tubes you use. we use the cheapest tubes from a local farm supply store (Mill's Fleet Farm). I like the tubes, they make life easier for us, even though they are a bit harder to mount.
I don't use inner tubes. The 1816 I bought that had truck tires didn't have tubes. I do my plowing on steep driveways. Last year I bought a set of tire chains. Best investment I made on that machine in years. I go anywhere with little wheel slip and very little/no damage to the asphalt. And for the cages, they're out there. I crushed my cage when a tree fell on the machine, and I found one on Fleabay. It may take awhile, but the cages are out there.