skipping?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I recently purchased a ls170 that apears to be in very nice condition. It has over the tire solideal tracks. the tires are rather bald underneath. first time trying it out pushing snow and trying to climb a snowbank.. I noticed a skipping. I assumed that the chain on the right hand side needed to be tightened. this weekend I brought the machine into a heated shop and let it warm overnight. I jacked up each side to check for play. but both tires are tied together with the tracks. the left side seemed to have no play or at least next to what it is suppose to have. checked the other side and found about an inch of movement on the track. I ended up taking the track off. the rear wheel slid and tightened up to spec without any problem; however the front did not want to slide. I got the slack to about a 3/4 inch of wiggle.down from about 1 inch. not as tight as it is suppose to be. For some reason it was held by something in the centre. it would rock the top and the bottom but it would not slide ahead. I even used a porta power to try to get it to slide forward, but was unable. It felt like the chain was holding it but the tire still had slop. i I ended up putting the track back on. I think that I may be getting slippage between the tire and the track as the tires are rather bald. it was a mild day and I am sure the tracks were wet from melting snow. What could have prevented me from tightening the front chain? and still have wheel slop. Is it possible that the front spocket be that loose? that would give me that slop while the chain was still tight.