Skid steers should only be operated at full throttle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Yoda

Is this true, I am new to skid steers and bought a Case 1845c last summer, I am getting better at operating it, but still find it much easier and smoother to operate at half throttle. One reason I can come up with in my head, is maybe you need the engine at full throttle so the fan pushes enough air through the hydraulic cooler. Thoughts?

jerry

the drive pumps are variable displacement piston type so to go a certain speed at lower rpm each piston has to take in a larger volume of oil than it would at a higher rpm to go the same speed. I think too low a rpm could in some cases starve the pump but myself for the work around home hardly ever go over 2/3-3/4 throttle. The book probably says run it at max governed speed though.

hotfish

the drive pumps are variable displacement piston type so to go a certain speed at lower rpm each piston has to take in a larger volume of oil than it would at a higher rpm to go the same speed. I think too low a rpm could in some cases starve the pump but myself for the work around home hardly ever go over 2/3-3/4 throttle. The book probably says run it at max governed speed though.
Never run my machine at full throttle, just never felt the need to. Never had an issue. i usually run between 1/2 to 3/4.

nate379

Never run my machine at full throttle, just never felt the need to. Never had an issue. i usually run between 1/2 to 3/4.
Usually run my machine at idle to maybe at most about 1/2 throttle. Mostly gets used with a log grapple to load logs on a firewood processor. We generally load about 20 cords of logs on it a week. If I need the speed or power I'll kick it up to WOT, but usually don't. Have done some heavy digging or snow removal before that I stalled out the machine a few times. Nothing wrong with running it wide open, but it's louder and burns more fuel.

SkidsDeereMech

Usually run my machine at idle to maybe at most about 1/2 throttle. Mostly gets used with a log grapple to load logs on a firewood processor. We generally load about 20 cords of logs on it a week. If I need the speed or power I'll kick it up to WOT, but usually don't. Have done some heavy digging or snow removal before that I stalled out the machine a few times. Nothing wrong with running it wide open, but it's louder and burns more fuel.
I can't speak for all brands but John Deere skidsteers should be operated with the hand throttle at 1/3 to 1/2 minimum. Why the heck would I do that?!?!? Well one of the reasons is that many of them now come with a foot throttle in the unit and many operators use this in the way they would a cars throttle. Power on demand. Diesel engines need a second to "develop power" this can result in a little over fueling every time as the engine will "lugg" for a second or have "speed droop" this intern can end up coking or sooting up your valve resulting in poor power and eventually low compression and a no start. Most new units have an auto idle feature keep it activated and enjoy long engine life.

ReRide

I can't speak for all brands but John Deere skidsteers should be operated with the hand throttle at 1/3 to 1/2 minimum. Why the heck would I do that?!?!? Well one of the reasons is that many of them now come with a foot throttle in the unit and many operators use this in the way they would a cars throttle. Power on demand. Diesel engines need a second to "develop power" this can result in a little over fueling every time as the engine will "lugg" for a second or have "speed droop" this intern can end up coking or sooting up your valve resulting in poor power and eventually low compression and a no start. Most new units have an auto idle feature keep it activated and enjoy long engine life.
My S650 has plenty of power at 1,600 - 2,000 rpm. They tell me the new Tier 4 engines require to be run at full throttle when a sensor collects a certain amount of carbon from exhaust gases. I have run mine at full throttle in high range, to move from one place to another when it is too close to load up and haul, but so far I haven't needed full throttle for any work I've done with it.

Tazza

Staff member
My S650 has plenty of power at 1,600 - 2,000 rpm. They tell me the new Tier 4 engines require to be run at full throttle when a sensor collects a certain amount of carbon from exhaust gases. I have run mine at full throttle in high range, to move from one place to another when it is too close to load up and haul, but so far I haven't needed full throttle for any work I've done with it.
I wonder how true that is.
My understanding of diesel engines is that they need a set percentage load to prevent carbon build up. Increasing the revs means you have less load, so the lower you have it, the cleaner the engnine should burn (to an extent).

mmsllc

I wonder how true that is.
My understanding of diesel engines is that they need a set percentage load to prevent carbon build up. Increasing the revs means you have less load, so the lower you have it, the cleaner the engnine should burn (to an extent).
I'm pretty sure that if you run any machine at wide open throttle, you will find yourself needing a new engine (or a new job, if you work for someone else) very soon. I like to suit the engine speed to the job I am doing. If the machine seems weak, I'll give it a little more engine speed / RPM. However, I mainly run every machine I have at around 40% to 60% throttle. Can you imagine sitting in a machine all day with the throttle all the way up?? Wow!! I think I would either be totally deaf or out of my mind!! I going to say that this is a huge MYTH! It was most likely started by some well-intentioned guy & that it was taken out of context over many years.

Farmall450

I'm pretty sure that if you run any machine at wide open throttle, you will find yourself needing a new engine (or a new job, if you work for someone else) very soon. I like to suit the engine speed to the job I am doing. If the machine seems weak, I'll give it a little more engine speed / RPM. However, I mainly run every machine I have at around 40% to 60% throttle. Can you imagine sitting in a machine all day with the throttle all the way up?? Wow!! I think I would either be totally deaf or out of my mind!! I going to say that this is a huge MYTH! It was most likely started by some well-intentioned guy & that it was taken out of context over many years.
Well, if it's an air cooled mower and you're mowing you should be running at or very near WOT or you'll be buying a new one sooner! Mower air to cool/more power to handle the load it was spec'd to take. I could see this for skidsteers, tho I rarely run the 85XT over half, if even. Not sure but I'm guessing the M444 will need most of it! Whenever a contractor is running a skidsteer they're balls to the wall.

7LBSSMALLIE

Well, if it's an air cooled mower and you're mowing you should be running at or very near WOT or you'll be buying a new one sooner! Mower air to cool/more power to handle the load it was spec'd to take. I could see this for skidsteers, tho I rarely run the 85XT over half, if even. Not sure but I'm guessing the M444 will need most of it! Whenever a contractor is running a skidsteer they're balls to the wall.
run em full bore . and grunt em down. the byproduct of baby a unit is glazed rings. she will eat oil and smoke. in tier 4 and 5 . the results will be take to dealer and have them force a regen. seirosiouly guys run them like you stole it. that is how were engirneeded. you cant baby a diesel without causining damage to internal componets. run it hard run it long lug it down and it will live long and prosper.. dont? rings glaze . carbon buildup. etc. about the worse thing you can do to these engs. is extendet idle or half throttle.