SHOVEL

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DANNP

Has anyone used one of these before ? How well do they work ? Has anyone seen a similar product or has anyone made something similar ?
[TR]
[TD]
shovel.jpg
[/TD]
[/TR]

perry

I saw that while surfing the other day and immediately thought...how lame!. Man!, you can build something much better than that. Besides, you can't see what your digging with that contraption.

OP
OP
D

DANNP

I saw that while surfing the other day and immediately thought...how lame!. Man!, you can build something much better than that. Besides, you can't see what your digging with that contraption.
I agree about the visual problem but they make it so you put it on forks you have slid together and this is the way they put it on a bucket with an attachment that mimics forks on the bucket. I would like to make something simple to dig with until I can build a backhoe any ideas. DANNP

triad

I agree about the visual problem but they make it so you put it on forks you have slid together and this is the way they put it on a bucket with an attachment that mimics forks on the bucket. I would like to make something simple to dig with until I can build a backhoe any ideas. DANNP
I use a stump bucket, roots are no problem and you have good visibility. Of course depending on your width you can make the bucket to the size you neec.

perry

I use a stump bucket, roots are no problem and you have good visibility. Of course depending on your width you can make the bucket to the size you neec.
Seems to me if you slide your forks together you wouldn't need the shovel.

skidsteer.ca

Seems to me if you slide your forks together you wouldn't need the shovel.​
My thoughs too, just use your forks, won't work great for gravel or sand, (run back in the hole too easy) but for dirt or clays would be just as good.
I could see those clamp on spades or forks busting you cutting edge on a bucket.
Ken

OP
OP
D

DANNP

My thoughs too, just use your forks, won't work great for gravel or sand, (run back in the hole too easy) but for dirt or clays would be just as good.
I could see those clamp on spades or forks busting you cutting edge on a bucket.
Ken
Yes sliding the forks together would work but the homemade forks that came with my skidsteer do not move they are welded in place .
[TR]
[TD]
PIC_0021.JPG
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]
spacer.gif
[/TD]

[TR]
[TD]
bottom-left.gif
[/TD]
[TD]
spacer.gif
[/TD]
[TD]
bottom-right.gif
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
(Copyright 2002-2009) Owens Consulting​
[/TD]
[/TR]

perry

Yes sliding the forks together would work but the homemade forks that came with my skidsteer do not move they are welded in place .

Return To Gallery

(Copyright 2002-2009) Owens Consulting
Tons of forklifts go to the salvage yards everyday, I found one and the guy cut the slide bar off with the forks and I got it for $40. They pay $0.10 lb. and sell for $0.14 lb. A little welding and $80 for forks. There should be a salvage yard close to you?. I would call and let them know what I was looking for.

Triad,
Just trying to get your opinion on your stump bucket when compared to this one.
CAL-1SBGSXD50-2.jpg

Construction Attachments just came out with this model,(which can be purchased at
www.everythingattachments.com) and although it is a little pricey, those plasma cut teeth seem to really do a number on cutting thru roots.
Here is what their engineer said about it.
The bucket body parts are of 3/8" A572 plate steel. The side cutters are actual ½" X 4" 1065 milled cutting edge material that has been cnc plasma cut for the teeth. Using the hard milled cutting edge material gives these side cutters the ability to cut, as well as, grab.
This should be a decided advantage over comparable buckets that have merely had teeth cut into the hot rolled steel sideplates. The flat cut teeth on the competitor's models may grab, but it will be more difficult to drive them through roots. I have ¾" A572 on the grapple arms and ¼" cap plates that are broken out as you can see in the photos with a ¼" doubler with teeth at the front of the grapple. The grapple caps are reinforced by 2"X2"X1/4" tubing and 2"X3"X1/4" tubing. Pivot pins are 1 ½" on the grapple and 1 3/16" on the cylinder.
The teeth cut into the grapple arms are in line but at an angle to the flat runs of the grapple arm to help them to get a bite. They are aggressive and should bite very well, but they are only cut in pockets of teeth instead of along the entire arm, so that if you get more bite than your machine can handle you can roll forward and open the grapple to release and get a more advantageous angle or simply disengage from the stump.

The folks I have talked to seem to be looking at this as a beast of an implement for the more robust machines, but I would point out that the smaller machines on rubber tires may need the grapple as much or more than the large track mount machines. The smaller machines with less ground weight and traction have a harder time using the stump bucket with no grapple because they don't have the weight, horsepower and traction to drive into a stump and cut enough roots to pop it out of the ground as well as a more robust track machine.

Using the grapple to snap off the stump while the bucket teeth are indexed at the roots is a way to use the hydraulics, where these machines have plenty of available power, to get the same work out of the smaller rubber tire machines.
What do you think of this design?

mllud

Triad,
Just trying to get your opinion on your stump bucket when compared to this one.

Construction Attachments just came out with this model,(which can be purchased at www.everythingattachments.com) and although it is a little pricey, those plasma cut teeth seem to really do a number on cutting thru roots.
Here is what their engineer said about it.
The bucket body parts are of 3/8" A572 plate steel. The side cutters are actual ½" X 4" 1065 milled cutting edge material that has been cnc plasma cut for the teeth. Using the hard milled cutting edge material gives these side cutters the ability to cut, as well as, grab.
This should be a decided advantage over comparable buckets that have merely had teeth cut into the hot rolled steel sideplates. The flat cut teeth on the competitor's models may grab, but it will be more difficult to drive them through roots. I have ¾" A572 on the grapple arms and ¼" cap plates that are broken out as you can see in the photos with a ¼" doubler with teeth at the front of the grapple. The grapple caps are reinforced by 2"X2"X1/4" tubing and 2"X3"X1/4" tubing. Pivot pins are 1 ½" on the grapple and 1 3/16" on the cylinder.
The teeth cut into the grapple arms are in line but at an angle to the flat runs of the grapple arm to help them to get a bite. They are aggressive and should bite very well, but they are only cut in pockets of teeth instead of along the entire arm, so that if you get more bite than your machine can handle you can roll forward and open the grapple to release and get a more advantageous angle or simply disengage from the stump.
The folks I have talked to seem to be looking at this as a beast of an implement for the more robust machines, but I would point out that the smaller machines on rubber tires may need the grapple as much or more than the large track mount machines. The smaller machines with less ground weight and traction have a harder time using the stump bucket with no grapple because they don't have the weight, horsepower and traction to drive into a stump and cut enough roots to pop it out of the ground as well as a more robust track machine.

Using the grapple to snap off the stump while the bucket teeth are indexed at the roots is a way to use the hydraulics, where these machines have plenty of available power, to get the same work out of the smaller rubber tire machines.
What do you think of this design?
Good looking bucket. How Much does it cost? Shipping Charges are? Mike

Good looking bucket. How Much does it cost? Shipping Charges are? Mike
Mike,
There are two different models (with and without grapple). We offer Free Shipping within 1000 mile radius of 28658 zipcode. See Free Shipping Map below for the graphical version.
shippingmap2.gif

The Wicked Stump bucket non-grapple version is $1,195.00 and I know that seems like a lot of money for a stump bucket, but this bucket is made for repeated use, and really is engineered beyond the capability of the skid steer it is mounted on.

The Wicked Stump bucket w/ grapple runs $2,375.00
Not the cheapest in the world, but if you do some research on Construction Attachments, i.e Google Construction Attachments, they aren't trying to build the cheapest, but the toughest. Their slogan is, "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten". I think we all have learned that lesson a time or two.
Feel free to give us a call 1-866-581-5818 or go to our website if you want to see more pics or you have any questions! Thanks for the interest!

mllud

Mike,
There are two different models (with and without grapple). We offer Free Shipping within 1000 mile radius of 28658 zipcode. See Free Shipping Map below for the graphical version.

The Wicked Stump bucket non-grapple version is $1,195.00 and I know that seems like a lot of money for a stump bucket, but this bucket is made for repeated use, and really is engineered beyond the capability of the skid steer it is mounted on.
The Wicked Stump bucket w/ grapple runs $2,375.00
Not the cheapest in the world, but if you do some research on Construction Attachments, i.e Google Construction Attachments, they aren't trying to build the cheapest, but the toughest. Their slogan is, "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten". I think we all have learned that lesson a time or two.
Feel free to give us a call 1-866-581-5818 or go to our website if you want to see more pics or you have any questions! Thanks for the interest!
I agree with you about cheap equipment can be a bitter lesson. I alway look at the best, most expensive and can see why the cost is there. I dont always buy the best ,most expensive. I look at how much/often I will use it. I like to feel like the tool paid for itself.
Im sure your bucket would give a fair return on the investment for someone that works it for hire. I have seen some poor examples of these buckets on e-bay. I alo have seen some nice home built buckets on this forum. Mike

I agree with you about cheap equipment can be a bitter lesson. I alway look at the best, most expensive and can see why the cost is there. I dont always buy the best ,most expensive. I look at how much/often I will use it. I like to feel like the tool paid for itself.
Im sure your bucket would give a fair return on the investment for someone that works it for hire. I have seen some poor examples of these buckets on e-bay. I alo have seen some nice home built buckets on this forum. Mike
Mike,
I always like to feel like my personal attachments should pay for themselves too. This particular bucket is made for someone that would use it repeatedly, so if someone bought it just to do one job, it would be almost impossible to justify the cost (unless they had so much money that they bought attachments like they were toys) .
On the flip side of the coin, if someone bought a lesser bucket with the intention of using it a lot but it didn't perform up to expectations or worse, let's say it broke. Now they are dissapointed at the performance, angry at themself because they didn't buy a tougher one, and the mad at the manufacturer of the one they bought, and now have to spend more money again on the same attachment because they have pursued the stump removal business trying to make money.
If we are going to put our name on the line, then we want the people who purchase our attachments with the intention to really using and abusing the attachments we sell to never have a reason to come back to us and tell us we sold them junk. We never want to be that guy.

OP
OP
D

DANNP

Mike,
I always like to feel like my personal attachments should pay for themselves too. This particular bucket is made for someone that would use it repeatedly, so if someone bought it just to do one job, it would be almost impossible to justify the cost (unless they had so much money that they bought attachments like they were toys) .
On the flip side of the coin, if someone bought a lesser bucket with the intention of using it a lot but it didn't perform up to expectations or worse, let's say it broke. Now they are dissapointed at the performance, angry at themself because they didn't buy a tougher one, and the mad at the manufacturer of the one they bought, and now have to spend more money again on the same attachment because they have pursued the stump removal business trying to make money.
If we are going to put our name on the line, then we want the people who purchase our attachments with the intention to really using and abusing the attachments we sell to never have a reason to come back to us and tell us we sold them junk. We never want to be that guy.
I think your bucket is one of the best I have seen and looks very able ,but i would fall into the category of use very little and although it looks worth the price is more than I am willing/able to spend also i live in Canada and shipping would not be cheap ,besides duty etc. I was looking for some ideas to build a inexpensive bucket or attachment to dig small holes for myself . I need to dig a few ditches to put in piping and wires , some posts and maybe a few raised garden beds into a 45 degree bank. Dannp

skidsteer.ca

I think your bucket is one of the best I have seen and looks very able ,but i would fall into the category of use very little and although it looks worth the price is more than I am willing/able to spend also i live in Canada and shipping would not be cheap ,besides duty etc. I was looking for some ideas to build a inexpensive bucket or attachment to dig small holes for myself . I need to dig a few ditches to put in piping and wires , some posts and maybe a few raised garden beds into a 45 degree bank. Dannp
Dan
There are a few homemade stump buckets on here that are more then capable for a part time user. Not sure one the build costs. But most steel supplier can help with that and may be able to cut the steel in the shape you want to save you alot of work. I'm not aware of anyone that sells them ready made in Canada, but there must be some.
If the forks thing would work for you may want to consider upgrading yours as having the tines adjustable side to side makes them much more useuable and they are vary strong. My father used mine for popping rocks up to 1000 lbs out of the pasture to prepare it for discing.
If you see somthing in the US you want I may be able to help you get it to Canada. I live near the border and have a network of freight companies I work with on either side. Also I do my own customs paper work to save broker fees. Most items come through with gst only. It just a matter of figuring out freight.
Ted, that is the best looking stump bucket I have seen and a grapple would be a handy addition to one.
For your type of use a piece of heavy wall pipe split length ways and welded to a QA plate with a few gussets could do the jobs you have in mind. Go check you scrap dealers for something the right shape a weight. The plate that QA to the loader can be purchased several places or can be home made too.
Ken

OP
OP
D

DANNP

Dan
There are a few homemade stump buckets on here that are more then capable for a part time user. Not sure one the build costs. But most steel supplier can help with that and may be able to cut the steel in the shape you want to save you alot of work. I'm not aware of anyone that sells them ready made in Canada, but there must be some.
If the forks thing would work for you may want to consider upgrading yours as having the tines adjustable side to side makes them much more useuable and they are vary strong. My father used mine for popping rocks up to 1000 lbs out of the pasture to prepare it for discing.
If you see somthing in the US you want I may be able to help you get it to Canada. I live near the border and have a network of freight companies I work with on either side. Also I do my own customs paper work to save broker fees. Most items come through with gst only. It just a matter of figuring out freight.
Ted, that is the best looking stump bucket I have seen and a grapple would be a handy addition to one.
For your type of use a piece of heavy wall pipe split length ways and welded to a QA plate with a few gussets could do the jobs you have in mind. Go check you scrap dealers for something the right shape a weight. The plate that QA to the loader can be purchased several places or can be home made too.
Ken
Thanks Ken I will keep you in mind . I have enough metal gathered up to build a simple backhoe that you use the loader hydraulics to move and use your auxiliary control to move the bucket . but I still need to find a cylinder . This may do all I want to do . What do you think? I don't know about the U.S. but up here in Canada metal is through the roof great if you are selling scrap but not so good if you are buying stock. Salvage yards do not keep equipment around here they concentrate on autos. Also with the high price of steel all the yards in the past few years have crushed or sold anything that is made of metal making it hard to find stuff. But I just keep my eyes open you never know what you'll find. It also makes it a little harder that I live in a rural part of Nova Scotia , there are many guys who can make something out of nothing and old equipment if you can find it is usually picked clean. DANNP

sterlclan

Thanks Ken I will keep you in mind . I have enough metal gathered up to build a simple backhoe that you use the loader hydraulics to move and use your auxiliary control to move the bucket . but I still need to find a cylinder . This may do all I want to do . What do you think? I don't know about the U.S. but up here in Canada metal is through the roof great if you are selling scrap but not so good if you are buying stock. Salvage yards do not keep equipment around here they concentrate on autos. Also with the high price of steel all the yards in the past few years have crushed or sold anything that is made of metal making it hard to find stuff. But I just keep my eyes open you never know what you'll find. It also makes it a little harder that I live in a rural part of Nova Scotia , there are many guys who can make something out of nothing and old equipment if you can find it is usually picked clean. DANNP
my stump bucket was 300 for steel...........4 years ago.......Jeff