S205 oil usage problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Garry

Hi newbie here,i have just one question if anyone is able to hopefully answer. I bought a new S205 11 months ago with the new tier 3 motor,brilliant machine but the motor uses a lot more oil than the our previous machine,2litres every 250 hours. Bobcat Australia has told me that this is acceptable because of the pollution control setup. Is any one elses machine using oil?It has 800hours on it now,but has used oil from day one. Any comments welcome for ideas as what might be problem all appreciated. Thanks

Fishfiles

No , I have not noticed any comsumption of oil on the Tier 3 engines or heard of anyone complaining about it , and if you think about it , Bobcat of Australia's answer doesn't make sense that a new pollution efficent engine , which is suppose to burn cleaner burns a 2 liter of oil into the air every 250 hours of use , I'd look for a second opionion -------------as far as why it could be doing it , it could have a broken ring from assembly , the rings never did seat , bad valve guide seals , bad turbo seal , I doubt very seriously it is the nature of the beast , for if it is then their new Tier 3 engine is a flop

Iowa Dave

I also bought a new 205 last June, and it is still full when we change it (every 100 hours due to dusty environment). Never uses any oil.

Tazza

Staff member
I also bought a new 205 last June, and it is still full when we change it (every 100 hours due to dusty environment). Never uses any oil.
I know its normal to use a little when bedding in, but i'd have to agree, 2 litres seems a little much. I can't see how the polution control could allow it to burn off oil, for for them to say its acceptable for it to do so.
They are probably looking up in the book what they feel is acceptable. On a good engine it should use no oil, but they feel that as long as it doesn't pour out smoke or run dry its ok.
I'd try calling another dealer, see what they say. I wouldn't tell them you bought a new maching off X dealer, just say you have a new engine with 250 hours, its using 2 litres of oil, is that normal?