S130 vs S150 or 160

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ancomcabs

I've got an S130, 2010 model with low hours, 370 +/- excellent condition, I'm the second owner and purchased it with 260 hours, love the machine with one exception the short wheelbase makes it very tippy. Thinking of looking for a 150 0r 160 and am hoping to get an opinion from anyone if the extra wheelbase makes a significant difference. For my needs I don't really need more capacity as I mostly use it for snow removal at my business and then other projects that most people use a shovel and a wheelbarrow for :) I'm a little tentative since this machine runs so well and I tend to take good care of my stuff. Any thoughts would be welcome as well as an opinion on what you think the 130 is worth?

reaperman

Remember, if you choose to upsize a larger bucket could offset the extra wheelbase. They sell a counterweight that's about 100lbs that mounts inside of the rear door, that can offset some forward tipping. Overall, you would notice some difference if the bucket was the same size but not night and day. Keep in mind a s150 is only rated 200 lbs more than the s130, in all reality 200lbs is only about 3, five gallon buckets of dirt. It sounds like you have a good reliable machine that was practically new when you got it. Knowing your machines limitations, which they ALL have, is overall most important.

OP
OP
ancomcabs

ancomcabs

Remember, if you choose to upsize a larger bucket could offset the extra wheelbase. They sell a counterweight that's about 100lbs that mounts inside of the rear door, that can offset some forward tipping. Overall, you would notice some difference if the bucket was the same size but not night and day. Keep in mind a s150 is only rated 200 lbs more than the s130, in all reality 200lbs is only about 3, five gallon buckets of dirt. It sounds like you have a good reliable machine that was practically new when you got it. Knowing your machines limitations, which they ALL have, is overall most important.
Reaperman, thanks for your comments I'm not so concerned with lifting capacity but the extra 5-6" length of the wheelbase center to center making the machine more stable, not looking for adding weight to the back, I think that is part of the problem with the heavy Kubota sitting way behind the relatively short wheelbase S130

reaperman

Reaperman, thanks for your comments I'm not so concerned with lifting capacity but the extra 5-6" length of the wheelbase center to center making the machine more stable, not looking for adding weight to the back, I think that is part of the problem with the heavy Kubota sitting way behind the relatively short wheelbase S130
If your tipping backwards, you need more weight in your bucket, if your tipping forward, you want more weight in the rear. I basically have the same machine you have a 753g with a counterweight (it was on when I bought it). I find my machine very stable. What varies from machine to machine is there is no standard for bucket size. My bucket is 60" but extends out further than a lot of 60" buckets and is somewhat high in the back so its relatively heavy. So it aids in keeping the front end down. I can measure it if you want. I remember when the first 753's came out ('91) we got one. It had a short bucket and the front wheels were always in the air. Then we jumped to the 7753 when they came out, the wheelbase and extra width made a big difference in stability. I'm not saying a longer wheel base isn't more stable, it is. But when I bought my machine I was surprised how stable it was, I know its a lot more stable than that '91, 753, I'm sure its the bucket size making the difference, maybe some engineering upgrades too (?). What you should do is test another machine out and feel for yourself. Just don't hop in a track machine or you will want one!

OP
OP
ancomcabs

ancomcabs

If your tipping backwards, you need more weight in your bucket, if your tipping forward, you want more weight in the rear. I basically have the same machine you have a 753g with a counterweight (it was on when I bought it). I find my machine very stable. What varies from machine to machine is there is no standard for bucket size. My bucket is 60" but extends out further than a lot of 60" buckets and is somewhat high in the back so its relatively heavy. So it aids in keeping the front end down. I can measure it if you want. I remember when the first 753's came out ('91) we got one. It had a short bucket and the front wheels were always in the air. Then we jumped to the 7753 when they came out, the wheelbase and extra width made a big difference in stability. I'm not saying a longer wheel base isn't more stable, it is. But when I bought my machine I was surprised how stable it was, I know its a lot more stable than that '91, 753, I'm sure its the bucket size making the difference, maybe some engineering upgrades too (?). What you should do is test another machine out and feel for yourself. Just don't hop in a track machine or you will want one!
Thanks again Reaperman. I have a 60" bucket but it's probably not as deep (front to back) as some. My S130 has a 35.5" wheelbase, not sure what yours is. The S150/160 series is 40.6", does not sound like a lot but it is about 15% longer. I know the weight in the bucket makes a huge difference but there are many times you need to drive up and down hills empty, or even loading on the trailer or in the storage container Thanks

jerry

Thanks again Reaperman. I have a 60" bucket but it's probably not as deep (front to back) as some. My S130 has a 35.5" wheelbase, not sure what yours is. The S150/160 series is 40.6", does not sound like a lot but it is about 15% longer. I know the weight in the bucket makes a huge difference but there are many times you need to drive up and down hills empty, or even loading on the trailer or in the storage container Thanks
If you get the longer wheelbase I don't think you will ever regret it. I had two short bobcats and now a New Holland with 42 inch wheelbase, I can drive forward up almost any slope and load it onto the trailer with no hint of tippiness. I would not go back to a short machine unless the maneuverability was a issue.