rusty fuel tank on M600

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Second question was the configuration of the fuel 'up take' tube. It is simply a steel tube welded at the top and ends about an inch short of the bottom of the tank. Any rust holes or cracks will suck air and no fuel will be available below that point. He tells me there is a simple way to remedy this. He drills a hole in the fuel tank about one inch above the bottom of the tank, places a (fine thread) elbow in the hole connected to a steel tube up to the (electric) fuel pump. He welds a stud or two to the body to support the steel tube from vibration.
Mounting a tank to the outside of the frame is a little risky as it is exposed.
How weird of a shape is the fuel tank? is it possible to get one made out of sheet metal?

6brnorma

Mounting a tank to the outside of the frame is a little risky as it is exposed.
How weird of a shape is the fuel tank? is it possible to get one made out of sheet metal?
As I recall….I've only seen one M-610 with an "outside" tank….I bought it for a couple hundred as a "parts" machine. I couldn't possibly put employees in such a machine and risk being sued should some one be burned badly.

Tigerhaze

Second question was the configuration of the fuel 'up take' tube. It is simply a steel tube welded at the top and ends about an inch short of the bottom of the tank. Any rust holes or cracks will suck air and no fuel will be available below that point. He tells me there is a simple way to remedy this. He drills a hole in the fuel tank about one inch above the bottom of the tank, places a (fine thread) elbow in the hole connected to a steel tube up to the (electric) fuel pump. He welds a stud or two to the body to support the steel tube from vibration.
Thanks for the response- as luck would have it I hadn't gotten around to this so your answer is timely. This approach seems like a good time to flush the tank through that opening as well since I know I have some rust and crud on the bottom.

6brnorma

Thanks for the response- as luck would have it I hadn't gotten around to this so your answer is timely. This approach seems like a good time to flush the tank through that opening as well since I know I have some rust and crud on the bottom.
Tiger……I have a machine apart right now and looked at how this would be done. I guess I'm a little confused. He told me to go as far forward before hitting the hydraulic compartment but that doesn't make sense as you would still be above the 4 gallon portion of the tank (under the engine) and you would not have access to that fuel. If you go to the back……the body/tank angles upwards and once again you would not have access to all of the fuel. It appears to me that you would be best served to tap into the 4 gallon section (under the engine), front side and as close to the side wall as possible…..then a slight bend in the tube to take it up the sidewall. What do you think?

Beekeeper

Tiger……I have a machine apart right now and looked at how this would be done. I guess I'm a little confused. He told me to go as far forward before hitting the hydraulic compartment but that doesn't make sense as you would still be above the 4 gallon portion of the tank (under the engine) and you would not have access to that fuel. If you go to the back……the body/tank angles upwards and once again you would not have access to all of the fuel. It appears to me that you would be best served to tap into the 4 gallon section (under the engine), front side and as close to the side wall as possible…..then a slight bend in the tube to take it up the sidewall. What do you think?
I did something like you described to my old International 574. I inserted a new fuel pick up line in the tank which was about one inch from the bottom. The end had a very fine wire screen attached that filtered out any rust particles and solved my clogged fuel line problems. You can do the same thing in this scenario.

Tigerhaze

I haven't figured out optimal placement, but what I was going to do was siphon/drain what I can out of the tank, remove vapors, and then stick one of those flexible video inspection cameras down there to see what is going on for placement.

Latest posts