repower 530 options/ opinions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ryantowry_81

so I have realized I have been spending more time tinkering and fixing the old Kohler motor in my 530 than I have running it and I have decided to start looking into repowering options as one cyl has very low compression and I don't feel rebuilding the old motor is the best option with the hard to find parts. that being said, I have found a couple websites offering kits for repower usually with the Honda or vanguard motors for 2000-2500 dollars and I was wondering if anyone had any opionions good or bad about which is a better unit to choose? I know I could probably fab my own conversion parts but time is an issue for me so I would rather just spend a little extra and make the swap quicker to get back to using the tractor rather than fixing it all the time.

Tazza

Staff member
It depends on why that cylinder is low, if it's just rings or a bad valve, i'd repair that instead. If you give the low cylinder a squirt of oil, check if the compression gets better.
Honda is a good way to go, they are excellent engines if still made in Japan, but these days, most are chondas, chinese hondas....

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

It depends on why that cylinder is low, if it's just rings or a bad valve, i'd repair that instead. If you give the low cylinder a squirt of oil, check if the compression gets better.
Honda is a good way to go, they are excellent engines if still made in Japan, but these days, most are chondas, chinese hondas....
yeah I tried the oil trick and it did not help. I have a bore scope I stuck in there and tried to look and I saw what looked like some good wall scoring. also the exhaust manifold has a crack I have had to repair multiple times, the points on that thing are a PITA to keep right and the wiring has been hacked 7 ways to sunday. I am thinking tearing it all out and starting over might be in order. I would love to convert it to a small diesel but I feel that would be more work than it is worth for such a small machine, and inevitably it would need to switch to water cooled which would add more complexity.

Tazza

Staff member
yeah I tried the oil trick and it did not help. I have a bore scope I stuck in there and tried to look and I saw what looked like some good wall scoring. also the exhaust manifold has a crack I have had to repair multiple times, the points on that thing are a PITA to keep right and the wiring has been hacked 7 ways to sunday. I am thinking tearing it all out and starting over might be in order. I would love to convert it to a small diesel but I feel that would be more work than it is worth for such a small machine, and inevitably it would need to switch to water cooled which would add more complexity.
Ok, if the cylinder is scored up, it may be the best option.
You can get a small air cooled diesel, but the issue may be price.
You will need to start looking around for what will fit. The biggest issues seem to be matching shaft sizes. Especially ones that had a taper. You will find something i'm sure.

SkidRoe

I was in the same position with my 440B. I looked at the various repower kits available, and decided to build my own repower kit. Looking at the 530 kit from Small Engine Warehouse, it does look like a pretty simple kit to build.
I went with a Honda Clone (Chinese-built GX620), and it has been great. Running for 9 years now, and only routine maintenance. I picked the engine up cheap, the entire conversion was done for less than $1000 Canadian.
Harbor Freight offers a 22hp twin that looks appealing: https://www.harborfreight.com/22-hp-670cc-v-twin-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-61614.html
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

I was in the same position with my 440B. I looked at the various repower kits available, and decided to build my own repower kit. Looking at the 530 kit from Small Engine Warehouse, it does look like a pretty simple kit to build.
I went with a Honda Clone (Chinese-built GX620), and it has been great. Running for 9 years now, and only routine maintenance. I picked the engine up cheap, the entire conversion was done for less than $1000 Canadian.
Harbor Freight offers a 22hp twin that looks appealing: https://www.harborfreight.com/22-hp-670cc-v-twin-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-61614.html
Cheers - SR
you know I actually saw that engine at HF the other day and was wondering about the reliability. Good to know it has worked well for you. being my machine is only really for home use and helping friends it would probably last a good long time . I know I could build the mounting adapter for under the motor and the exhaust would be pretty easy to make work, but the shaft adapter would probably be the toughest past to figure but I could always use the kits from Small Enigne warehouse as direction to go in. the mad scientist/ fabricator in me wants to build one but I need another project like a hole in my head. might be worth it to save 1000 bucks though.