pusher box vs. plow.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Muddin_Mavric

i got a 853 that i need to use to plow snow in the winter. not only at my house but also at my grandmothers just up the road. i have tire chains on the rear tires only and it will push any pile of snow i can put in front of it. the snow will just go up and over or around my 6' bucket and it has no traction problem at all so i think i need sonthing way bigger than 6' once we get 5" or more it starts to go around my bucket and leave a trail. so its time to get either a 7.5' plow from a truck and rig up the tilt to my aux. hyd. or else im going to build a pusher box in the 8' to 8.5' range. everything i plow is more of an open area. nothing real long and skiny. i was thinking a pusher box would be better but my dad says i should go with a plow. what do you guys think?? i can get a plow for $250 or else i work in a machine shop and have a welder so building a pusher box should not be to expensive. what do you guys think???

thetool

I don't much operate, but everybody I know that went from blades to boxes on a skid-steer say they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Jeffscarstrucks

I don't much operate, but everybody I know that went from blades to boxes on a skid-steer say they're the best thing since sliced bread.
I wonder what would be better on a long rock drive. I thought a blade would do a better job given the uneven nature but I have never been around a box to make a decent evaluation. JEFF

aaron

boxes are great for moving (carrying) snow from one area to another. They work great for parking areas because you can carry a much larger load in front of the machine. The disadvantage to them is, in a situation such as a road or driveway, you are carrying the whole snow load with you, and the further you advance, the more material you pick up. Unless the area is real short in length, you will eventually have to push your load to the side, because you machie wont be able to carry any more material. This will also be determined by other factors such as, how wet and heavy the snow fall is, how deep it is etc. One thing is for certain, the box will put more ware and stress on your machine, either way, because by design, (the whole reason for using one) is to move or carry the most material, with less spillage. Both blades and boxes have there advantages. Personally I run a box on my 930 cat loader, I do not own one for my skidsteer because I know myself, and I'd probably use it in the heaviest of snow conditions, and put more stress on my machine, than I'd be getting compisated for $$ by my customers. I do however have a V-plow on my skidsteer and it works great, because, you can do everything with it, from using it like a box, to operating in a V on your first pass in heavy wet snow. You can pick up a used 7ft-6 boss fairly cheap at a boss dealer, and retrofit it to your skidsteer. The older, 7'-6" boss V's are too heavy for the newer model 1500 chevy or F150's They are too narrow, for the bigger trucks, so U can get them at a descent price. Thats what I did. You'll need to repalce the cylinders with dual action, and plumb in an elect. selonoid to control both sides independently.

skidsteer.ca

boxes are great for moving (carrying) snow from one area to another. They work great for parking areas because you can carry a much larger load in front of the machine. The disadvantage to them is, in a situation such as a road or driveway, you are carrying the whole snow load with you, and the further you advance, the more material you pick up. Unless the area is real short in length, you will eventually have to push your load to the side, because you machie wont be able to carry any more material. This will also be determined by other factors such as, how wet and heavy the snow fall is, how deep it is etc. One thing is for certain, the box will put more ware and stress on your machine, either way, because by design, (the whole reason for using one) is to move or carry the most material, with less spillage. Both blades and boxes have there advantages. Personally I run a box on my 930 cat loader, I do not own one for my skidsteer because I know myself, and I'd probably use it in the heaviest of snow conditions, and put more stress on my machine, than I'd be getting compisated for $$ by my customers. I do however have a V-plow on my skidsteer and it works great, because, you can do everything with it, from using it like a box, to operating in a V on your first pass in heavy wet snow. You can pick up a used 7ft-6 boss fairly cheap at a boss dealer, and retrofit it to your skidsteer. The older, 7'-6" boss V's are too heavy for the newer model 1500 chevy or F150's They are too narrow, for the bigger trucks, so U can get them at a descent price. Thats what I did. You'll need to repalce the cylinders with dual action, and plumb in an elect. selonoid to control both sides independently.
I use a 8 ft straight blade with hyd angle. I put forward swept wings on it making it 10' wide overall. The wings angle forward at 30 degrees, which still allows angle plowing but when the blade is straight it will carry twice the volume as a straight blade.
The wings have rubber cutting edges that can compress so the trip function on the blade will still work. Sort of the best of both worlds imo.
Also say your pllowing a flat drive way and the ground in front begine to fall on the right hand side the plows center pivot point should allow the blade to follow the ground while the loader is still back on the flat area. My old meyers was worn enough to allow this to happen, Erskine blades are built to allow this movement.
I had a 8' snow bucket but did not like it because the outside corners were always digging in because it was locked solid to the loader boom. A pusher would be the same. However if your areas are relatively flat this may not concern you
If you want a pusher be sure your plowing area has vary few obstacles that could hook the pusher and snub you up. For my yard I consider the trip a must.
If you convert a truck plow you will need a flow restrictor in the hyd lines unless your 853 has proportional flow or the angle will be way to fast.
I'd try to chose a more heavy duty blade and only have to convert it once.
Here
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Snow%20Plow%20Meyers%20pickup%20conversion%20to%20skidsteer
is a link to the 7' meyers I made into a 9', I later sold it and converted a 8' Erskine blade. Which is a fair bit more heavy duty, 4 trip springs, more overall weight, then a pickup could handle
Our snow is dry and my 773 or Ls 160 handles it fine.
If you go to the top and put the arrow on media and select the photo tab from the drop down menu, there are other blade projects in the photo section
Ken

I have a Dozer blade now for two years that I used once in the dirt. to make a cut with an air tire tractor the front end loads up and soon you end up over cutting. The only way to run one efficienty in dirt is to build some training wheels infront to keep the blade from over cutting. In dirt, a box scraper uses the side runners as your cut guide. they become a skid to help from loading the blade up too deep. A dozer blade on a track machine is way diff and would work good in dirt. In snow the only way to go is with a snow blade. My dozer blade has a pivot to allow the blade to tilt if it hits a manhole cover or the like. it needs a spring in the third position for snow. The dozer blade is for sale. $1500. ,951-830-5997, 92585 . http://www.pbase.com/gregoryoc/bobcat GregoryO'Connor ScotsBobcatLandscape SoCal

I have a Dozer blade now for two years that I used once in the dirt. to make a cut with an air tire tractor the front end loads up and soon you end up over cutting. The only way to run one efficienty in dirt is to build some training wheels infront to keep the blade from over cutting. In dirt, a box scraper uses the side runners as your cut guide. they become a skid to help from loading the blade up too deep. A dozer blade on a track machine is way diff and would work good in dirt. In snow the only way to go is with a snow blade. My dozer blade has a pivot to allow the blade to tilt if it hits a manhole cover or the like. it needs a spring in the third position for snow. The dozer blade is for sale. $1500. ,951-830-5997, 92585 . http://www.pbase.com/gregoryoc/bobcat GregoryO'Connor ScotsBobcatLandscape SoCal
http://www.pbase.com/gregoryoc/bobcat