Propylene Glycol antifreeze

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Philosaw

So, I know this must have come up at least once before, so I apologize in advance for not being able to find it. My question is this: why wouldn't replacing the factory propylene glycol with ethylene glycol be ok? I had to search all over to find a propylene antifreeze and it cost an arm and a leg. Love to here what you guys think.

Bobcatdan

Drain, flush and fill witth green. Only reason Bobcat uses the purple stuff is it is environmently safe.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Drain, flush and fill witth green. Only reason Bobcat uses the purple stuff is it is environmently safe.
Yeah, when I googled it and saw that there is a food grade PG, I thought it might be environmental. While I think this is an appropriate concern, I can't fork over $75 for 3 gallons of 50/50. Make it competitive and I'm all in. Thanks BCD.

Hotrod1830

Yeah, when I googled it and saw that there is a food grade PG, I thought it might be environmental. While I think this is an appropriate concern, I can't fork over $75 for 3 gallons of 50/50. Make it competitive and I'm all in. Thanks BCD.
Did you price it through Bobcat? I dont remember it being that much from them. Im wanting to say $12-13 a gallon. Not bad.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Did you price it through Bobcat? I dont remember it being that much from them. Im wanting to say $12-13 a gallon. Not bad.
Since our dealership moved to 3 hrs away it adds shipping and time which doesn't work, so that's why I'm always looking for alternatives to bobcat

Rental stop

Since our dealership moved to 3 hrs away it adds shipping and time which doesn't work, so that's why I'm always looking for alternatives to bobcat
I bought Sierra Antifreeze from the local NAPA. They got it from the warehouse overnight. $15 or less. It was green but it's Propylene Glycol. Bobcat brand was purple. But should be okay.

Hotrod1830

I bought Sierra Antifreeze from the local NAPA. They got it from the warehouse overnight. $15 or less. It was green but it's Propylene Glycol. Bobcat brand was purple. But should be okay.
Not sure if kubota's/Bobcat Diesels require the Nitrite additive, but you better check. That can possibly be a nasty deal if not maintained.

Bobcatdan

Not sure if kubota's/Bobcat Diesels require the Nitrite additive, but you better check. That can possibly be a nasty deal if not maintained.
I have never seen any coolant caused cooling problems on Kubota's. Water pumps and thermostars rarely fail. Even when doing heads, never saw any real corrosion to be worried about.

7LBSSMALLIE

I have never seen any coolant caused cooling problems on Kubota's. Water pumps and thermostars rarely fail. Even when doing heads, never saw any real corrosion to be worried about.
so A,F GETS CHANGED AT 1000 HRS . oem recomendes. P/G. 1JUG =17$ 1 ENG = 10K. MINIMUNM. SO 34$ BUCKS. EVERY THOUSAND HRS. AS PER THE S/M. so yes do what ever you want. but do the math. if you really think youre smarter than hundreds of people who devolped this disregard

Hotrod1830

Bobcatdan, Cavitation is what I am refering to. It puts pinholes in the cylinder liners if the coolant isnt compatible. Has nothing to do with corrosion. It could be mistaken for a blown head gasket that nobody can fix.

Bobcatdan

Bobcatdan, Cavitation is what I am refering to. It puts pinholes in the cylinder liners if the coolant isnt compatible. Has nothing to do with corrosion. It could be mistaken for a blown head gasket that nobody can fix.
Only coolant problem I have seen is when somebody dumps stop leak in the system. Nothing funner then pulling a head and spending three hours chiseling bars leak out of the block. Kubota's have rather small coolant passages. Bobcat went as far as putting a service bulletin out about putting pure coolant in a system that pure coolant is thick enough to plug the passages. This in regards to putting a gallon of coolant in the a gallon of water in to let it mix in the system. The legendary 20,000 hour S220 has run green for 19,000 hours and still runs better then the 4000 hour Deere 326D.

djack

I`ve drained all ours and changed to ethylene glycol if no other reason than its the same as everything else we have, been doing it for years, we have some 5-6000 hour machine never a problem... well at least not coolant related