Power (12V) for attachment (dozer blade)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

newhollandaviator

I have an almost brand new New Holland dozer blade that came with an old John Deere skid steer. It works fine on that machine and I want to use it on my C232 (with an all important enclosed heated and air conditioned cab). All I need is a 12V connection to power the solenoid and a button in the cab to activate it. It can't take too much power (after all it is just a solenoid and will only be use intermittently). Do you think I could pull power from the cigarette lighter? Most automotive lighters are fused at 5amps, but I can't see a fuse for the lighter in my machine. The JD machine is connected with 18gauge wire, so I wouldn't think the dozer is drawing much over 5-10 amps.

foton

to find out exactly what it is pulling a normal vom amp range is 10 amps , some rated at 20 amps but just get a battery and hook the vom in series not parallel to the attachment circuit and read. It would not be as accurate but a old school automotive amp meter could work too.

Ivan

Might work but if it was me I would run a seperate feed wire from the battery wit h a heaveir wire

ddbackhoe

to find out exactly what it is pulling a normal vom amp range is 10 amps , some rated at 20 amps but just get a battery and hook the vom in series not parallel to the attachment circuit and read. It would not be as accurate but a old school automotive amp meter could work too.
I have an almost brand new New Holland dozer blade that came with an old John Deere skid steer. It works fine on that machine and I want to use it on my C232 (with an all important enclosed heated and air conditioned cab). All I need is a 12V connection to power the solenoid and a button in the cab to activate it. It can't take too much power (after all it is just a solenoid and will only be use intermittently). Do you think I could pull power from the cigarette lighter? Most automotive lighters are fused at 5amps, but I can't see a fuse for the lighter in my machine. The JD machine is connected with 18gauge wire, so I wouldn't think the dozer is drawing much over 5-10 amps.
yep, a solenoid coil should draw about 1.7 amps. A standard cigarette lighter element is rated for 120 watts (10 amp fuse). So running a diverter off the lighter shouldnt be a problem. Getting in and out of the cab without tripping over the wire, that may be tough.

OP
OP
N

newhollandaviator

I appreciate everyone's comments. I think will proceed as planned and do a quick check as suggested with a separate battery. My NW miniX actually has a 10 amp lighter-style outlet labeled "accessory-power", so I assume that this is not an atypical application. Thanks

MX727

If it does, that is your answer. Then you will control the blade by using the buttons on your joysticks.