Please help, last resort!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Over here Tazza
Deutz engines aren't my strong point.
It could be the belt, but as there is blow-by it sounds like a gasket or cylinder wear. Get your compression tester on it and see what you get. Get your values then go back and one by one give each cylinder a squirt of oil and see what compression you get. If the figure goes up, you have cylinder to piston wear.

jerry

Over here Tazza
Compression check will tell more but since it had that dirt in the air cleaner I would guess the rings are shot.
I bought a tractor that the air cleaner hose had disconnected and it was dusted. Had to resleeve and rering it and valve job but everything down below was good so even if it needs overhaul it may not be severe. good luck with the project.

OP
OP
J

jcowling

Compression check will tell more but since it had that dirt in the air cleaner I would guess the rings are shot.
I bought a tractor that the air cleaner hose had disconnected and it was dusted. Had to resleeve and rering it and valve job but everything down below was good so even if it needs overhaul it may not be severe. good luck with the project.
I've decided to sell it for $5000 cash this weekend. If it doesn't sell on craigslist...I've found someone on dieselenginetrader.com called mdb aircool, they will take my engine, rebuild it, send it back for $4250. Thats everything. He said if it doesn't need a new crank or things like that...like my injectors because I already replaced them...it will be cheaper. I'm thinking I'll go this route. Only question I have is what else major could be wrong. Some of those hydraulic pumps and valves seem pretty complex. I am a little concerned that it isn't driving straight. I don't have the same steering system as I saw on here where the cams wear out. I've got linkages to ball joints on the hydro pumps. I can push the port lever forward all the way and it creeps, stbd I must barely push forward or it goes left quickly. Port goes reverse very quickly, as stbd needs pulled a bit more. Sounds like a bit out of adjustment, and I am reading up on it. How would I do a good check of the chains, and drive belt before I dig toooooooo far into this with a new engine? Ant told me the chain check I think....any other things you'd look at. I'm looking at about $9000 into 1996 863C series with a fresh engine with 0 hours on it, newer bucket , and decent tires....What do you think? Worth $10000 if I wanted to sell it? Thanks for all your help guys!

antfarmer2

I've decided to sell it for $5000 cash this weekend. If it doesn't sell on craigslist...I've found someone on dieselenginetrader.com called mdb aircool, they will take my engine, rebuild it, send it back for $4250. Thats everything. He said if it doesn't need a new crank or things like that...like my injectors because I already replaced them...it will be cheaper. I'm thinking I'll go this route. Only question I have is what else major could be wrong. Some of those hydraulic pumps and valves seem pretty complex. I am a little concerned that it isn't driving straight. I don't have the same steering system as I saw on here where the cams wear out. I've got linkages to ball joints on the hydro pumps. I can push the port lever forward all the way and it creeps, stbd I must barely push forward or it goes left quickly. Port goes reverse very quickly, as stbd needs pulled a bit more. Sounds like a bit out of adjustment, and I am reading up on it. How would I do a good check of the chains, and drive belt before I dig toooooooo far into this with a new engine? Ant told me the chain check I think....any other things you'd look at. I'm looking at about $9000 into 1996 863C series with a fresh engine with 0 hours on it, newer bucket , and decent tires....What do you think? Worth $10000 if I wanted to sell it? Thanks for all your help guys!
I have seen them going for 12 to 14 thou with hours on them if you pick it up pull on the tires for end play and front to back for chain slop