perkins 4.108 liner removal.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

7LBSSMALLIE

at wits end, in garage not at shop, tryining to do without pulling crank. got a three jaw on em have ground and filed to within a 1.000, pb blaster, ice. heat. etc, not budging, gettining ready to cut a relief in em , and beating out.or chipping as #1 has startded to do.(moved to # 2 after dialing in tool) my question being , anybody been here done this. 25 years of carbon build up i suspect, but on the verge of, crackining block.(cast iron),PLEASE ADVISE::

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

quid pro quo. sorry dudes aint been on in a while. going to check now to see if i can be of any help to the other .dudes, struggling, the 709 thing embarresed me to know end. now im looking and see mexico parts every where,on a good note there doesnt seem to be any correlation between failures and, where there made, QC seems tight. there i go ramblin again.

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

quid pro quo. sorry dudes aint been on in a while. going to check now to see if i can be of any help to the other .dudes, struggling, the 709 thing embarresed me to know end. now im looking and see mexico parts every where,on a good note there doesnt seem to be any correlation between failures and, where there made, QC seems tight. there i go ramblin again.
come on guys anybody been here don this? share please,you may not have a soultion but did you run into this to and what did you do?need a little help here, before i go into get it done mode, already chipped #1 they are goining to break easy. trying not to go that route. got threebweekends tied up in tryining to do it right, and im done. spent last two hrs refinining tool for tolerance. im spot on. still wont budge. is it time to back up and punt? answer will not be held accountable. just need opinions

Tazza

Staff member
come on guys anybody been here don this? share please,you may not have a soultion but did you run into this to and what did you do?need a little help here, before i go into get it done mode, already chipped #1 they are goining to break easy. trying not to go that route. got threebweekends tied up in tryining to do it right, and im done. spent last two hrs refinining tool for tolerance. im spot on. still wont budge. is it time to back up and punt? answer will not be held accountable. just need opinions
i have never heard of someone managing to pull a liner out, mostly they machine it out.... At least for all dry liners they do, wet ones they pull out pretty easily
Why don't you want to pull the crank? Is it really that big of a job?

OldMachinist

i have never heard of someone managing to pull a liner out, mostly they machine it out.... At least for all dry liners they do, wet ones they pull out pretty easily
Why don't you want to pull the crank? Is it really that big of a job?
Two different ways.
Pack cylinder with dry ice and try pulling before block gets cold.
Run a small bead of weld 2 or 3 places down the liner, it will shrink the liner and they'll come right out.

mrdeere1959

Two different ways.
Pack cylinder with dry ice and try pulling before block gets cold.
Run a small bead of weld 2 or 3 places down the liner, it will shrink the liner and they'll come right out.
for dry liners I just use a small thin chisel and drive it down between the liner and the block splitting the liner. drive it all the way down to the bottom. then just do a little honing to clean up the block, freeze the new liners, tap them in and you are good to go. good luck. don't get to rebuild many engines now day. its always remans.

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

for dry liners I just use a small thin chisel and drive it down between the liner and the block splitting the liner. drive it all the way down to the bottom. then just do a little honing to clean up the block, freeze the new liners, tap them in and you are good to go. good luck. don't get to rebuild many engines now day. its always remans.
thanks man thats basicly what i ended up doing. split it with a saws all all and chipped it out, made a godawfull mess, but do able, the problem here is im not chargining a $1,53. a minute, it for my son in law .so the hundred hrs i got in in are free. if today was yesterday would of pulled and sent,, as it stands waiting on parts. got to admit though been kinda fun ,havent got to do old school in awhile. no longer cost effective.

Tazza

Staff member
thanks man thats basicly what i ended up doing. split it with a saws all all and chipped it out, made a godawfull mess, but do able, the problem here is im not chargining a $1,53. a minute, it for my son in law .so the hundred hrs i got in in are free. if today was yesterday would of pulled and sent,, as it stands waiting on parts. got to admit though been kinda fun ,havent got to do old school in awhile. no longer cost effective.
The other thing you can keep in mind is that now you can hold this over the son in-law so he will do work for you when required :)
I admit it is fun when things work out right, even better when you get the end result. Different to what i suspect you do at work, remove/replace.

mahans7

The other thing you can keep in mind is that now you can hold this over the son in-law so he will do work for you when required :)
I admit it is fun when things work out right, even better when you get the end result. Different to what i suspect you do at work, remove/replace.
Hey Smallie, I didn't realize a sawzall would cut a cylinder liner. What did you do to keep the metal filings from falling all over the crank? Boy that machine must really be looking up with a 100 hours of your labor, what else have you done to it? Pics?. I bet your SIL and daughter are very happy about it.

melli

Hey Smallie, I didn't realize a sawzall would cut a cylinder liner. What did you do to keep the metal filings from falling all over the crank? Boy that machine must really be looking up with a 100 hours of your labor, what else have you done to it? Pics?. I bet your SIL and daughter are very happy about it.
Didn't know what you were talking about for half the thread, until I realized you were talking about sleeves...lol. ...............this guy makes it look easy....too easy....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtsVlj3n-OQ Anyways, pics would be nice. Anything wrenched by you ought to be worth posting pics...;)

Fishfiles

Didn't know what you were talking about for half the thread, until I realized you were talking about sleeves...lol. ...............this guy makes it look easy....too easy....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtsVlj3n-OQ Anyways, pics would be nice. Anything wrenched by you ought to be worth posting pics...;)
smooth , well worth $1.53 a minute , looks like he spent about 2 minutes poppping it out - $2.06 worth --------I have found out how and why on so many subjects on Youtube , I love it , recently put up servailance cameras at the house , my alarm guy wanted $1,500 for equipment and labor , found out what brand of equipment he was using and got prices for the equipment off the internet , had to run 8 wires thru a fire break in the wall and thru two headers in a 10 ft celling , Youtube it and spent about $80 for a flexible bit and a fiberglass wire pulling rod , did the system in about 5 hours of work by myself and spent $700 , he would have been faster than me on my first try at it so I figure he was going to make $200 an hour on me , thats $3.33 per miniute ------------- there is a fine line between when it is time to call in a professional or wing-ing it on your own ---------- I see you are up for a 1 year anniversry on Skidsteer 'smallie , may I be the first to wish you a happy one

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

smooth , well worth $1.53 a minute , looks like he spent about 2 minutes poppping it out - $2.06 worth --------I have found out how and why on so many subjects on Youtube , I love it , recently put up servailance cameras at the house , my alarm guy wanted $1,500 for equipment and labor , found out what brand of equipment he was using and got prices for the equipment off the internet , had to run 8 wires thru a fire break in the wall and thru two headers in a 10 ft celling , Youtube it and spent about $80 for a flexible bit and a fiberglass wire pulling rod , did the system in about 5 hours of work by myself and spent $700 , he would have been faster than me on my first try at it so I figure he was going to make $200 an hour on me , thats $3.33 per miniute ------------- there is a fine line between when it is time to call in a professional or wing-ing it on your own ---------- I see you are up for a 1 year anniversry on Skidsteer 'smallie , may I be the first to wish you a happy one
thanks guys . day late dollar short. but just the same thanks, as to the mess was care ful to not rotate anythining, goining to use a lot o dskill in a venturi sprayer and brake clean, and rethinkin. son in law ordered kit that includes crank brgs and frt and rear,seals, problem is backed into garage, was going to do on the cheap, unit is worth what 35 total, origanl plan was to stop it burnining oil. sent the head out was goining to liner and ring and be done. can o worms, yes it goes against the the grain, shouldda pulled it stripped it sent crank cam and block , and head out, GETTINING BRIGHT SHINY EXACT SPECS BACK) putting more money into than unit is worth, the boat anchor anolgy, so here i am kit about 700. he kind to my grand babys, kind to me and never asked to borrow money.

mahans7

thanks guys . day late dollar short. but just the same thanks, as to the mess was care ful to not rotate anythining, goining to use a lot o dskill in a venturi sprayer and brake clean, and rethinkin. son in law ordered kit that includes crank brgs and frt and rear,seals, problem is backed into garage, was going to do on the cheap, unit is worth what 35 total, origanl plan was to stop it burnining oil. sent the head out was goining to liner and ring and be done. can o worms, yes it goes against the the grain, shouldda pulled it stripped it sent crank cam and block , and head out, GETTINING BRIGHT SHINY EXACT SPECS BACK) putting more money into than unit is worth, the boat anchor anolgy, so here i am kit about 700. he kind to my grand babys, kind to me and never asked to borrow money.
Wow Melli, that Kent Moore sleeve puller kit is a neat tool although for $738.30 a little pricey for me. Smallie sounds like you have a great SIL and he's gonna enjoy the BC when you guys finish it.

Fishfiles

Wow Melli, that Kent Moore sleeve puller kit is a neat tool although for $738.30 a little pricey for me. Smallie sounds like you have a great SIL and he's gonna enjoy the BC when you guys finish it.
you've seen the kit , looks simple enough , duplicate it

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

Looks very simple actually. Never thought you'd get enough force with a piece of threaded rod to pull a liner out, but apparently you can :)
LESSONS LEARNED HARD ARE LESSONS LEARNED WELL. any machine shop could have saved me days . back in the the day when eng rebuild was cost effective. we would tear em down send crank block and cam to local machine shop. (and head) get back ready to assy. assy and done. ( i forgot) . hand worked liners out hand worked liners in. came out perfect except for the time i got into it;; then on assy found out liners need not only cross hatched but bored and finished and hatched. its in the back o truck now going in tomorrow. tried doing it by hand . old m could probally do it. probally has?

Fishfiles

LESSONS LEARNED HARD ARE LESSONS LEARNED WELL. any machine shop could have saved me days . back in the the day when eng rebuild was cost effective. we would tear em down send crank block and cam to local machine shop. (and head) get back ready to assy. assy and done. ( i forgot) . hand worked liners out hand worked liners in. came out perfect except for the time i got into it;; then on assy found out liners need not only cross hatched but bored and finished and hatched. its in the back o truck now going in tomorrow. tried doing it by hand . old m could probally do it. probally has?
Mechanic work is like a game of cards , Kenny Rogers sang " you got to know when to hold them , know when to fold them , know when to walk away and know when to run " , Gramps use to always say " being penny wise can make you dollar foolish , that just happened to me with one of my Honda ATv's , it needed a bore job and a new piston so I took it to a shop and had it bored and bought a new piston and ring for it , then I found a kit that came with brand new sleeve , piston , rings , and gaskets for less than I had into it , bummed me out all the money , time and gas I wasted

Tazza

Staff member
Mechanic work is like a game of cards , Kenny Rogers sang " you got to know when to hold them , know when to fold them , know when to walk away and know when to run " , Gramps use to always say " being penny wise can make you dollar foolish , that just happened to me with one of my Honda ATv's , it needed a bore job and a new piston so I took it to a shop and had it bored and bought a new piston and ring for it , then I found a kit that came with brand new sleeve , piston , rings , and gaskets for less than I had into it , bummed me out all the money , time and gas I wasted
I thought most liners like that were only semi-finished, hopefully you can get the machining work done at a good price. When it's done, it will be the best running perkins in the area.
Fishfiles - that would bug the crap out of me too, but was the kit you found the same quality? never know, you may still have done the right thing, or at least best to think that way :)