Pedal Locks LS180

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fritz

I got a good one, foot pedal locks randomly lock up for no apparent reason. When I first showed up they would unlock then after a few minutes theyd lock up. I found the power wire coming from the EIC to the solenoids to be grounding out on the drive motor, bare wires and only 3 strands left hanging on. Repaired the wire with a butt connector. Then just sitting in the machine with the key on and buckled, the solenoids would engage and disengage like a machine gun. Rapidly in and out, then theyd pull in and then out then in then out then back to rapid in and out. Cleaned the ground wires at the bell housing, replaced the brittle ground from the engine to the chassis and cleaned all those connections. I have power at the EIC coming from the seat switch and the seat belt switch, power from the battery and from the key on. Parking light and seat belt light goes off and engine starts. So I sent the EIC out for repair $800 and plugged it in, same result. The new holland dealer said to send it back for warranty. I got it back and still it only works intermittently. Funny thing, when its not working, some of the times theyll relase for a split second when I turn the key switch off. But when they do work, I cant make them fail! I get off the seat, they lock, sit down and they release. Unbuckle the seat belt and they lock buckle it back and they release. It worked great for a day then they quit. Oh, before I installed the EIC i used my power probe to confirm they worked. I connected my probe to the harness at the EIC and tested the whole harness to the solenoids. They worked. The following day when it wouldnt work I power probed again and they were shorted to ground. Changed the solenoids and it worked for 2 days. Now its back to not working again. I am very frustrated! I have power where I should but the EIC is not sending power to the solenoids. Every time it fails, there is no power from the EIC to the solenoids and there is no fault code!! Help!!!

Mike10

Did you check the grounds at the left rear cab mount? Depending on the year there may be a ground location in the upper right side of the cab. Remove the headliner and look forward of the fuse block for a stud welded to the side of the cab. Also check all connections at the ignition switch. There is also a grounding strap under the left or right fender I believe to ground the cab. When it fails unplug one of the solenoids and see if the system will then work. If not, plug that one back in and unplug the other solenoid. If the electrical load is too high the system will stop sending power to the solenoids. You could also still be having an issue at your repair. Did you power probe the harness with the solenoids disconnected? If yes then you still have an issue with the harness.

OP
OP
F

Fritz

Did you check the grounds at the left rear cab mount? Depending on the year there may be a ground location in the upper right side of the cab. Remove the headliner and look forward of the fuse block for a stud welded to the side of the cab. Also check all connections at the ignition switch. There is also a grounding strap under the left or right fender I believe to ground the cab. When it fails unplug one of the solenoids and see if the system will then work. If not, plug that one back in and unplug the other solenoid. If the electrical load is too high the system will stop sending power to the solenoids. You could also still be having an issue at your repair. Did you power probe the harness with the solenoids disconnected? If yes then you still have an issue with the harness.
I installed a new ground strap from the engine to the frame. Installed a new ground strap from the frame to the cab. Found the post in the cab by the service switch. Cleaned that. Power probed with the solenoids connected. They still work perfectly today. Ran the EIC self diagnosis setting today to check function of seat switch and seat belt and they all worked. Still no power leaving the EIC to the solenoids. From what I've read and verified, the power goes thru the seat switch to the seat belt then to the EIC. If their not supplying power,the engine wont crank. And I verified that so I can eliminate those 2.

Mike10

I installed a new ground strap from the engine to the frame. Installed a new ground strap from the frame to the cab. Found the post in the cab by the service switch. Cleaned that. Power probed with the solenoids connected. They still work perfectly today. Ran the EIC self diagnosis setting today to check function of seat switch and seat belt and they all worked. Still no power leaving the EIC to the solenoids. From what I've read and verified, the power goes thru the seat switch to the seat belt then to the EIC. If their not supplying power,the engine wont crank. And I verified that so I can eliminate those 2.
If you have a high load on the circuit to the solenoids the instrument panel will stop sending power. If you know someone or dealer that has a lx or ls series loader, plug your panel into their harness to see if the panel works. You just need to plug the panel and not mount it, sit in seat, fasten seat belt, turn key on and see if the pedals are free.

OP
OP
F

Fritz

If you have a high load on the circuit to the solenoids the instrument panel will stop sending power. If you know someone or dealer that has a lx or ls series loader, plug your panel into their harness to see if the panel works. You just need to plug the panel and not mount it, sit in seat, fasten seat belt, turn key on and see if the pedals are free.
I don't know of any others in the area. I even cut the wire from the computer and ran a new wire from the computer to the solenoids. Still nothing. I soldiered the factory wire back in, a tech from New Holland will be out. I'll let you know what they find. I'll be there watching.

OP
OP
F

Fritz

I don't know of any others in the area. I even cut the wire from the computer and ran a new wire from the computer to the solenoids. Still nothing. I soldiered the factory wire back in, a tech from New Holland will be out. I'll let you know what they find. I'll be there watching.
Sure enough. The tech confirmed it's the computer. It's BS because we've paid over $800 for it to get "rebuilt". Ended up tapping into the seat belt switch to power the solenoid. This way we still have the safety function. But crap. The tech said he'd do what he can about the price of the computer repair but I ain't expecting anything. But at least it works now. Heck I could've done that 20 hours ago! I was trying to fix it properly.

Latest posts