NH L555 Perkins shutdown, won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GLWelder

Unit has been running great. Started unit this morning to move my tiller, started and ran strong for 10 minutes, when moving into barn, the engine hesitated, then as I tested throttle it died. I am very diesel illiterate, but I believe the issue may be related to the throttle/fuel mechanism: The mechanism went from very tight and able to hold any throttle/rpm setting, to where over the last month I could either only run at idle or full throttle. If I set it anywhere less then full throttle, the machine would regulate back to idle. The unit cranks strong, but will not start. The throttle mechanism feels very binding and not smooth as it it did when working. I hope this is clear.........Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, George

OP
OP
G

GLWelder

Update: I unpinned the boom cylinders and jacked up the boom arms to get to the engine. I messed with the throttle linkage for 30 minutes or so, trying to figure out why it was binding and not smooth........Cranked it over and it started up. I ran it for an hour or so putting it back together, I turned it off multiple times and it started right back up. The throttle still only seems to work at low idle and max throttle, if I set it in between it will slide back to idle in just a minute or less. I might take it in to have an experienced mechanic look at it while its running and before I get stranded in some difficult place on the property..... Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks, George

mfyock

Update: I unpinned the boom cylinders and jacked up the boom arms to get to the engine. I messed with the throttle linkage for 30 minutes or so, trying to figure out why it was binding and not smooth........Cranked it over and it started up. I ran it for an hour or so putting it back together, I turned it off multiple times and it started right back up. The throttle still only seems to work at low idle and max throttle, if I set it in between it will slide back to idle in just a minute or less. I might take it in to have an experienced mechanic look at it while its running and before I get stranded in some difficult place on the property..... Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks, George
I have an L785 with a Perkins in. Is your throttle on the left? I little handle the pivots? There is a friction disc that hold the throttle in place. Unbolt the throttle handle. Behind the handle is a spring that puts pressure on the friction disc. The disc holds the throttle in place. Tighten up the spring. That should hold the throttle in place. I assume your problem is a linkage problem and not a pump problem.