NH L455

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GLWelder

Took my 1986 L455 Diesel version into my woods for a quick job and of course at the very furthest point on my small acreage away from the barn the hydrolic drive on the right side stopped working completely. I checked the linkage, it is ok. It won't move either direction, so I don't think it's a relief valave? Also I'm sure the chain is ok, I can feel resistance when I rock the tires. Any suggestions? Thanks, George

Mike10

You will need to remove the chain case side cover and look at the chains. There are two chains in each side. The small one drives the reduction sprocket and the large chain runs the axles. The axle chain may still be on the axle sprockets and wedged against the case which would make it appear the chain is connected.

OP
OP
G

GLWelder

You will need to remove the chain case side cover and look at the chains. There are two chains in each side. The small one drives the reduction sprocket and the large chain runs the axles. The axle chain may still be on the axle sprockets and wedged against the case which would make it appear the chain is connected.
Thanks for the feedback Mike! I need to tow it back to the shop tomorrow. I didn't think it was mechanical because there isn't any hydrolic noise when trying to move that right side. I would expect that if the chain was wedged or some other mechanical obstruction the hydraulics would whine and strain when attempting to move? I'll try to get the loader to the shop tom. and take a look at those chains and give some feedback at that Thanks, George

OP
OP
G

GLWelder

Thanks for the feedback Mike! I need to tow it back to the shop tomorrow. I didn't think it was mechanical because there isn't any hydrolic noise when trying to move that right side. I would expect that if the chain was wedged or some other mechanical obstruction the hydraulics would whine and strain when attempting to move? I'll try to get the loader to the shop tom. and take a look at those chains and give some feedback at that Thanks, George
Mike was right about the chain failing; The right side chain must have gotten too slack and broke a link. I drained the hyd fluid, opened the inspection plate and found the long drive chain broken. I bought a couple of 60H repair links and hope to install tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes! George