NH Ignition interlock relay

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

urhstry

For the third time in as many years, my ignition interlock relay has gone bad. I suspect a bad starter as well. Is there any place we can buy these relays cheaper than the stealer?

mfyock

If you google NEW HOLLAND START INTERLOCK RELAY you will find a couple aftermarket sources. There has been discussion as to if the aftermarket ones last as long as the OEM ones. I use aftermarket without any problem.

mhs1492

If you google NEW HOLLAND START INTERLOCK RELAY you will find a couple aftermarket sources. There has been discussion as to if the aftermarket ones last as long as the OEM ones. I use aftermarket without any problem.
Howdy, I have been having start/run issues and have wondered if the start interlock relay could be to blame. can you share the issues you had when it went bad? What is the actual function of this relay? This should be a link to my thread..if I can paste on here. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=99595 thread is called "Starter won't stop" Any info is better than no info, thanks folks

OP
OP
U

urhstry

Howdy, I have been having start/run issues and have wondered if the start interlock relay could be to blame. can you share the issues you had when it went bad? What is the actual function of this relay? This should be a link to my thread..if I can paste on here. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=99595 thread is called "Starter won't stop" Any info is better than no info, thanks folks
I had that same problem when I bought the machine. Starter would crank after key was off and battery would be drained all the time. Replaced the relay (9601073) and it solved the problem. HOWEVER, I am now sure my starter has seen better days and needs replaced. I think the load of the worn starter has killed the relay all over again.

OP
OP
U

urhstry

I wonder if this would work on our machines? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-SGP38-Car-Audio-80-Amp-12V-Dual-Battery-High-Current-Relay-Isolator-/401071129977

Tazza

Staff member
I wonder if this would work on our machines? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-SGP38-Car-Audio-80-Amp-12V-Dual-Battery-High-Current-Relay-Isolator-/401071129977
It seems a bit big, you only need a few amps to the starter solenoid. If you were talking about using it to run power to the main high current terminal on the starter, i don't think 80 amps is enough.

OP
OP
U

urhstry

It seems a bit big, you only need a few amps to the starter solenoid. If you were talking about using it to run power to the main high current terminal on the starter, i don't think 80 amps is enough.
Acco0dring to Messick's site, the relay is 12V 80Amp. Thats why I singled this one out. Is there a better one that would fit the application?

mhs1492

Acco0dring to Messick's site, the relay is 12V 80Amp. Thats why I singled this one out. Is there a better one that would fit the application?
Thanks for the info. I just replaced that relay and it did fix the starter winding problem. However that relay is not the start interlock relay 86521256. You mentioned start interlock relay in you earlier post. Do you happen to know the function of this relay? So after replacing the start relay 9601073 that fixed the starter winding problem, I am left with other issues. First, it won't stay running. It will run all day if I hold the key turned to the start position. but when I let go and it moves to the run position the machine dies. And second, I have no dash gauge lights at all. have you ever dealt with these issues

OP
OP
U

urhstry

Thanks for the info. I just replaced that relay and it did fix the starter winding problem. However that relay is not the start interlock relay 86521256. You mentioned start interlock relay in you earlier post. Do you happen to know the function of this relay? So after replacing the start relay 9601073 that fixed the starter winding problem, I am left with other issues. First, it won't stay running. It will run all day if I hold the key turned to the start position. but when I let go and it moves to the run position the machine dies. And second, I have no dash gauge lights at all. have you ever dealt with these issues
You are correct. I meant the start relay not the interlock relay. Not sure what to do to fix your issue but I also had to put a new ignition switch in (NAPA) and I took my dash out and washed the dirt off it and looked it over for any hot spots or loose connections. It was crusted with dirt. You might want to address both those spots.