NH 985 hydraulic problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rodger

Hi , This is an impressive forum with very nice members . I have read thru the forum & thru all 27 pages of the NH section . I bought a 4000 hour 985 that is rough cosmetically . Runs great & seems to have been mechanically maintained . It has control board issues ( every NH I have owned has had them :) ) . The boom goes up slow & stops sometimes . If I engage the bucket , the boom goes up much better at instances . The bucket has plenty or speed & power , but the boom has almost none . I don't think it is the hydraulic pump because the bucket works perfect . I am going to see if the boom cylinders are leaking internally . I read where a way to check that is to power down , identify the pressure line to power down , then remove the opposite hyd line & engage . If hydraulic fluid comes out the cyl , that cyl is bad or if hyd fluid comes out of the line , the opposite cyl is bad . I have to identify some solonoids . There is a 885 4-sale close by . It has drive motor problems etc & I have been thinking of buying it for parts . Does anybody know if there are many parts that interchange ? ( sheet metal , radiator gaurd ) . Thanks for any help or advice , Rodger Myers

Mike10

The lift cylinders is probably where your problem is. As for the boom raising faster when the bucket is stroked it is because the exhausting oil from the bucket cylinder is added to the oil going to the lift cylinders. I think it only works when the bucket is dumped. There is also a plug or valve on the back side of the control valve that has some orings on it. Occasionally these orings blow. The plug is directly above the valve spool.
The sheet metal is different between the 885 and the 985. Most of the drive components I believe are the same and much of the electrical system. Most of the struff that could be used may not justify the investment unless you get it dirt cheap.

OP
OP
R

Rodger

The lift cylinders is probably where your problem is. As for the boom raising faster when the bucket is stroked it is because the exhausting oil from the bucket cylinder is added to the oil going to the lift cylinders. I think it only works when the bucket is dumped. There is also a plug or valve on the back side of the control valve that has some orings on it. Occasionally these orings blow. The plug is directly above the valve spool.
The sheet metal is different between the 885 and the 985. Most of the drive components I believe are the same and much of the electrical system. Most of the struff that could be used may not justify the investment unless you get it dirt cheap.
Thanks Mike . The 885 has a drive motor & " wheel cylinder " bad . Asking $4500 OBO , but seems VERY motivated to sell . He has another machine in a shop & needs to pay the bill . I agree , not worth buying for parts & not cheap enough to buy to resell . If the cylinders being rebuilt doesn't fix it , is there any electrical stuff that would cause the problem ?

Mike10

Thanks Mike . The 885 has a drive motor & " wheel cylinder " bad . Asking $4500 OBO , but seems VERY motivated to sell . He has another machine in a shop & needs to pay the bill . I agree , not worth buying for parts & not cheap enough to buy to resell . If the cylinders being rebuilt doesn't fix it , is there any electrical stuff that would cause the problem ?
There is nothing electrical that would cause the problem. The only electrical involved is the control valve solenoids and if you can move the pedals electrical is not the cuase of your problem.

Latest posts