newbie with a 170 skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bigcam

Thanks for that information, I apologize for not monitoring this post, I didn't get any notification of replies. I am now looking for a drive belt, the variable speed belt. Mine broke yesterday. I do have the John Deere number, GG020-30843, and the parts manual says substitute for GG020-18058. From searching here and the net i may have found other numbers but I can't compare the dimensions because I can't find any for the John Deere part and my belt is so worn and stretched that I can't rely on it's dimensions. I think 2926v686 will work. The dimensions are 1 13/16" wide x 68.6" long. But the actual contact area, thickness, is half of the john deere part and I'm not sure I want to try it. I think the 2926v686 will fit the OMC 1200, do they use the same belt as the JD170, JD24, Owatonna 1700 ?? My variable speed front pulley isn't even hooked up, I set the speed and left it alone. I think a previous owner removed the hydraulic line and rotating coupler because the pulley leaked hydro oil. I have a grease fitting in the end and just pumped some grease in it while rotating the pulley to allow it to squeeze together and bring the belt to the outside or top of the pulley to get the most speed out of it. It's now really close to a 1 to 1 ratio so if I could find the parts to do it, I may just put a large chain and sprockets on it. I don't need the variable drive anyway. But, for simplicity I'd like to just replace the belt for now. In other news, the replacement engine is running great! I'll get some pics up soon. Crazy power, so smooth, starts right up, just incredible. I was able to fix a few hydraulic leaks while the engine was out as well and one was between the filter housing and pump so it was drawing air in while running causing slow hydraulics, now its so much faster and smooth bucket operation. Just for info, if you decide to use the V465 engine, the mounts need to be modified. I didn't know the previous owner had to do this until I removed the engine. Both mounts had to be ground or milled down to half the thickness for the crankshaft to line up with the drive shaft to the gearbox. I just used one mount from the old engine for the front mount since the cross member is welded in, but the rear cross member is bolted in so I flipped it to under the mounting tabs to lower it the required 1/2 inch and used the unmodified mount. Thanks for any help you can provide, and I will post any more info I find.
belt part number 2926V686 does for sure fit the 1200. I bought it and installed it. works great now. OMC part number is 020-26433. so i would guess not the same belt being different part number. all you do to convert OMC part number to john deere is ad GG in the front of the number. So you will probably have to dig and find the correct length and width of your belt and look up by size to the belt part number such as the 2926V686. if you dig around you will find a chart and or the way to DEcode the part number to find your size. Also yes this new belt is not as thick but it works perfectly fine without slipping. I don't have the driven clutch tight or anything. actually it is as loose as i can possibly make it and it don't slip. so don't worry about it not being as thick as the factory belt.

OP
OP
F

frank b

belt part number 2926V686 does for sure fit the 1200. I bought it and installed it. works great now. OMC part number is 020-26433. so i would guess not the same belt being different part number. all you do to convert OMC part number to john deere is ad GG in the front of the number. So you will probably have to dig and find the correct length and width of your belt and look up by size to the belt part number such as the 2926V686. if you dig around you will find a chart and or the way to DEcode the part number to find your size. Also yes this new belt is not as thick but it works perfectly fine without slipping. I don't have the driven clutch tight or anything. actually it is as loose as i can possibly make it and it don't slip. so don't worry about it not being as thick as the factory belt.
Thank you for the reply. Was your old belt the same length? I'll just get some more measurements from the machine and get into to fit.

bigcam

My old belt was extremely stretched lol If i tried to go to low speed the belt would just flop on the pulleys. also the belt was 1/2 inch narrower then it was when new. The 1200 is setup a bit different then yours tho. My drive pulley is right off the crank shaft and i am able to slide the engine to get proper belt adjustment. But it flopped with engine moved as far as it could trying to keep the belt tight. Actually i now have 2 of these omc 1200s. The other one wasent as bad but still pretty bad lol Also i noticed not having the driven clutch so tight like it had to be for the old belt not to slip has made going to high speed not pull the engine down so much. The one driven clutch was so tight to keep from slipping i was eating up nearly all the power the engine had. The throttle was nearly wide open just sitting still on the high speed. New belt and backing off the driven pulley it hardly pulls the engine down. I can now spin on a dime on the highest speed with about half throttle. Before it wouldn't turn at all on the highest speed even wide open throttle.

OP
OP
F

frank b

My old belt was extremely stretched lol If i tried to go to low speed the belt would just flop on the pulleys. also the belt was 1/2 inch narrower then it was when new. The 1200 is setup a bit different then yours tho. My drive pulley is right off the crank shaft and i am able to slide the engine to get proper belt adjustment. But it flopped with engine moved as far as it could trying to keep the belt tight. Actually i now have 2 of these omc 1200s. The other one wasent as bad but still pretty bad lol Also i noticed not having the driven clutch so tight like it had to be for the old belt not to slip has made going to high speed not pull the engine down so much. The one driven clutch was so tight to keep from slipping i was eating up nearly all the power the engine had. The throttle was nearly wide open just sitting still on the high speed. New belt and backing off the driven pulley it hardly pulls the engine down. I can now spin on a dime on the highest speed with about half throttle. Before it wouldn't turn at all on the highest speed even wide open throttle.
Thanks for the info. I was reading up on the 1200 and looking at pictures online to see how it was set up and the pulleys are closer on my JD170. I could see where the belt was on the pulleys and measured as best I could. I just bought a 2926v534 on eBay for $20 so it's cheap enough to take a chance. It's close to the same length as my old one whichay not have been stretched. There where three cuts in it and the pulleys where misaligned. I push and rip a lot of brush so something must have came thru and hit the belt. Thanks for the replies, and I'll get more pics when I get the new belt.

bigcam

Thanks for the info. I was reading up on the 1200 and looking at pictures online to see how it was set up and the pulleys are closer on my JD170. I could see where the belt was on the pulleys and measured as best I could. I just bought a 2926v534 on eBay for $20 so it's cheap enough to take a chance. It's close to the same length as my old one whichay not have been stretched. There where three cuts in it and the pulleys where misaligned. I push and rip a lot of brush so something must have came thru and hit the belt. Thanks for the replies, and I'll get more pics when I get the new belt.
Rereading your post here i seen something about rebuilding a hydraulic cylinder to. heres where i got a couple rebuild kits from. Cost me $20 a cylinder. https://www.baumhydraulics.com/home.php?cat=22 Atlest for me they shipped it super fast.

OP
OP
F

frank b

Rereading your post here i seen something about rebuilding a hydraulic cylinder to. heres where i got a couple rebuild kits from. Cost me $20 a cylinder. https://www.baumhydraulics.com/home.php?cat=22 Atlest for me they shipped it super fast.
Thanks, that may be where I got the kits from, I can't remember but it wasn't expensive. I rebuilt the lift cylinders and it was a lot easier than I thought.

OP
OP
F

frank b

Thanks, that may be where I got the kits from, I can't remember but it wasn't expensive. I rebuilt the lift cylinders and it was a lot easier than I thought.
Well, i got the belt and went to put it on, but I had to figure out why the front variable pulley was wobbling first. I had a hell of a time getting it apart, one set screw broke off and i had to drill it out. there's still some of it left in the shaft. There's supposed to be a bolt and lock washer holding the pulley on the shaft but it's not there. It didn't break, it's just not there. I guess someone had this apart at some point in the past and forgot to put it back it. Everything else is there and OK, but the inside of that half of the pulley system is shot. The inside, where the lock washer would be, is corroded badly. It's pitted so bad that a new lock washer and bolt isn't going to fix it. I had hoped that the bolt was just loose, or I could modify the pulley system to stay in one position so I could still run the machine. But by the looks of it, I'm going to need parts. The belt, 2926v534, should work on the JD170 and JD24. I found out that the effective length of the JD GG020-30843 is 52.5 inches, and the 2926v534 is 53 inches, so it should work. I may never find out unless I get some parts. In the parts manual, the entire front pulley is called a motor, GG260-19554 or GG260-32178 depending on the machines serial number, they must have changed it during production.

bronko

Well, i got the belt and went to put it on, but I had to figure out why the front variable pulley was wobbling first. I had a hell of a time getting it apart, one set screw broke off and i had to drill it out. there's still some of it left in the shaft. There's supposed to be a bolt and lock washer holding the pulley on the shaft but it's not there. It didn't break, it's just not there. I guess someone had this apart at some point in the past and forgot to put it back it. Everything else is there and OK, but the inside of that half of the pulley system is shot. The inside, where the lock washer would be, is corroded badly. It's pitted so bad that a new lock washer and bolt isn't going to fix it. I had hoped that the bolt was just loose, or I could modify the pulley system to stay in one position so I could still run the machine. But by the looks of it, I'm going to need parts. The belt, 2926v534, should work on the JD170 and JD24. I found out that the effective length of the JD GG020-30843 is 52.5 inches, and the 2926v534 is 53 inches, so it should work. I may never find out unless I get some parts. In the parts manual, the entire front pulley is called a motor, GG260-19554 or GG260-32178 depending on the machines serial number, they must have changed it during production.
I have a John Deere 170 skid steer. There seems to be oil slinging off of the variable speed drive pulls and soaking up the belt. The belt is slipping now. Has anyone encountered this issue before? How can I fix it? Thanks for your thoughts.