Newb Looking to Buy - Need Recommendations

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skeet

I've rented and run SS before but not enough to really know the pros and cons of a given size, model, brand, etc. I've decided I can afford something in the 5K to 10K range and will be using it as follows: 1. Move Dirt/Rock on hilly terrain 2. Dig up small stumps after felling tree 3. Grading/leveling for building pad 4. Bucket Forks to move building material/hay What type bucket, controls, size, brand, model, mfg would you folks recommend in this price range. I can handle most mechanical repairs as long as it is not a deep motor issue. I'm sure there are models that are easier to work on than others. I really appreciate any advice you provide. Thanks Skeet

Tazza

Staff member
You won't get much for 5k. I'd personally stick with something around the 753 range, stay away from hand controls, when they go bad, you are up for big money. Its a good sized machine too, its rated at about 1,500lbs. Heaps of power and parts are easy to get. Easier of you go for an older non G series, the G series has a computer, the older ones have BICS. To complicate things even more, there is a BOSS series too, it has a LED display, they can be spendy on parts too.
If you want something for around the yard, a slightly over machine like a 743 is great, no electronics, parts are still available. The engines are a little smaller than the 753, but they still have enough power, you just may need to go a tad slower.
You just need to do some looking around to see what is available, then test drive a few and go from there.

OP
OP
S

Skeet

You won't get much for 5k. I'd personally stick with something around the 753 range, stay away from hand controls, when they go bad, you are up for big money. Its a good sized machine too, its rated at about 1,500lbs. Heaps of power and parts are easy to get. Easier of you go for an older non G series, the G series has a computer, the older ones have BICS. To complicate things even more, there is a BOSS series too, it has a LED display, they can be spendy on parts too.
If you want something for around the yard, a slightly over machine like a 743 is great, no electronics, parts are still available. The engines are a little smaller than the 753, but they still have enough power, you just may need to go a tad slower.
You just need to do some looking around to see what is available, then test drive a few and go from there.
Thanks for the feedback. What are your thoughts on an 853? Found one that looks good based on the pictures sent. The current owner has had it for 4 years with no issues. Tires are about 50%. Skeet

Venom

Thanks for the feedback. What are your thoughts on an 853? Found one that looks good based on the pictures sent. The current owner has had it for 4 years with no issues. Tires are about 50%. Skeet
I picked up a mid '80's 843 a year ago w/4000 hours on it. Lots of power, no frills and very reliable. Keep looking until you find one you like in your price range.

Tazza

Staff member
I picked up a mid '80's 843 a year ago w/4000 hours on it. Lots of power, no frills and very reliable. Keep looking until you find one you like in your price range.
An 853 is a larger machine, more power, can lift more. I believe it runs an oil cooled deutz?
They need timing belts done every 1000 hours. Factor that in when you buy it. If the belt lets go, it will need new push rods.
I have not heard bad things about an 853, good powerful machine.

papa

An 853 is a larger machine, more power, can lift more. I believe it runs an oil cooled deutz?
They need timing belts done every 1000 hours. Factor that in when you buy it. If the belt lets go, it will need new push rods.
I have not heard bad things about an 853, good powerful machine.
we have a mid ninties 753. it has 3000+ hours on it. I dont know much about where it came from other than it wasnt very well taken care of. I do the basic mait on ours and it runs awsome! (creeps a little to the left, and the hydros are a little slow) but I cant belive some the stuff I have done with it for such a small machine. I've backfilled enitre foundations with it and moved some huge boulders. It's an awsome snow machine. You can fine a decent 753 for 5-10K. good luck

Kermode

we have a mid ninties 753. it has 3000+ hours on it. I dont know much about where it came from other than it wasnt very well taken care of. I do the basic mait on ours and it runs awsome! (creeps a little to the left, and the hydros are a little slow) but I cant belive some the stuff I have done with it for such a small machine. I've backfilled enitre foundations with it and moved some huge boulders. It's an awsome snow machine. You can fine a decent 753 for 5-10K. good luck
853 runs a four cylinder Isuzu. 873 runs that goofy oil cooled Deutz. I bought an 853 with 4000 hrs on it, put 5000 more on it nad then sold it again. Good solid machines. By comparison, I have far more problems with my 3000 hour 2003 S185 than I had with my 9000 hour 853.