New Holland LS170 and LS180 owners.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Blatchy

Hi Im looking for a skid steer for maintaining tracks around our property. The New Hollands interest me for there stabillty on steep ground. One of our neighbours has a LS170 which ive hired and enjoyed operating. However, a liitle more size and power would be handy at times. Ive read on here that the 180 is noisy in the drive and is alot heavier on fuel. Are there any other issues to watch for on either? Who makes the engine in the 180? Are they hard to find parts for and work on? Would you recomend the 170 over the 180 for any reason? Thankyou.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I would go with the LS185.b or newer. I have an '05 and am pleased with it. Plenty of power. Engine is loud but you get used to it or wear hearing protection. I had an LS180 and it was bought back by NH for being so noisey.

irvi00

Well, I cannot attest to the 180. But I do own a 170 and love the machine. I have a brush grapple, 5 ft brush cutter, forks, smooth bucket and tooth bucket. For general work around the farm, ie. road maintenance, hay moving, clearing etc., it has served me well and I cannot think of a time I needed more power. It is very stable on steep ground, matter of fact it will work on ground that I'm too scared to put it on. Parts are easily available online from messicks.com. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
B

Blatchy

Well, I cannot attest to the 180. But I do own a 170 and love the machine. I have a brush grapple, 5 ft brush cutter, forks, smooth bucket and tooth bucket. For general work around the farm, ie. road maintenance, hay moving, clearing etc., it has served me well and I cannot think of a time I needed more power. It is very stable on steep ground, matter of fact it will work on ground that I'm too scared to put it on. Parts are easily available online from messicks.com. Hope this helps!
Have you had any problems with It? What is it like on fuel? How many hours has it done? Regards Michael

irvi00

Have you had any problems with It? What is it like on fuel? How many hours has it done? Regards Michael
I'm the second owner of my 170, had 2200 hours on it when I got it. I've put around 500 hours on it myself. Only problem I've had was an electrical short in the oil pressure warning circuit. Previous owner told me he had the turbo charger replaced around 1500 hours. As far as fuel consumption, I've never measured it. I know I can work all day on a tankful.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I'm the second owner of my 170, had 2200 hours on it when I got it. I've put around 500 hours on it myself. Only problem I've had was an electrical short in the oil pressure warning circuit. Previous owner told me he had the turbo charger replaced around 1500 hours. As far as fuel consumption, I've never measured it. I know I can work all day on a tankful.
Your owner manual tells you what to expect for fuel consumption. Mine says 2.9 and it is fairly accurate.

Well, after looking at my manual, it says 3.2 gallons per hour at full load. So there you go! Thanks EU, did not know that was there!
I have had a ls170 for a year now, and am rather pleased with it. it has over the tire rubber tracks. have a smooth bucket, a rock bucket, and a set of forks for it. I still have an old hydramac. love the old oil leak as well but had it for 16 years. the ls170 appears to have less torque than the hydramac, but the lift is great with good reach. This summer I purchased a volvo tandem and could use some extra lift. the old hydromac has more than enough lift but no reach. I have no idea how much larger the 180 is, but bigger is usually not a problem. Buy what you can find or afford. I was considering a john deere 280 to replace the old hydramac, but have changed my mind and am working a deal on a komatsu wheel loader.

The LS170 is a real nice machine, I have 1,500 hours on mine and have never had an issue. Lifting capacity with counter-weight is all I need and it's a tighter/smaller machine than the 180 for tight spots in the barn and woods. It's also much quieter than the 180. If I could do it all over again I'd purchase the 170 over the 180.