New Holland LS 180 oil drain plug

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

onjeffriv

Went to change oil in my LS180 and the oil drain plug just keeps turning but won't back out.I have taken the big belly pan off to get to it better. Tried a really good pair of vice grips with a big screwdriver wedged between the pliers and pan for leverage and no luck. Called the dealership and they really did not know if the pan had a nut on the inside that came loose or if the threads would be stripped. Of course they recommended a new pan. Any one have this problem before or any good tricks to get plug out. I already have an oversized plug to go back in. Thanks

mecster

1st of all I would not try this if there is a nut welded to the inside of the oil pan. However, I have removed striped oil pan plugs by drilling them out with a left hand or counterclockwise drill bits. To keep the pug/bolt from turning you will have to prick punch the around the circumference of the threaded area of the oil pan to insure that the oil pan bolt/ pug will not move. Then step up in drill bit sizes until you get to where you can pick out the remaining threads or drill the oversize hole to accept your new plug This is assuming you can reach the area and have room to work. I hope this helps

OP
OP
O

onjeffriv

1st of all I would not try this if there is a nut welded to the inside of the oil pan. However, I have removed striped oil pan plugs by drilling them out with a left hand or counterclockwise drill bits. To keep the pug/bolt from turning you will have to prick punch the around the circumference of the threaded area of the oil pan to insure that the oil pan bolt/ pug will not move. Then step up in drill bit sizes until you get to where you can pick out the remaining threads or drill the oversize hole to accept your new plug This is assuming you can reach the area and have room to work. I hope this helps
Thx for the info. It was a threaded pan. I used screwdrivers small chisels to put outward pressure on plug and with an impact wrench finally got it out. It was thread by stripped thread though. Then I got a 1/2 inch tap and retapped the hole and used a #8 jic fitting with a cap. Seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help.

decee

Thx for the info. It was a threaded pan. I used screwdrivers small chisels to put outward pressure on plug and with an impact wrench finally got it out. It was thread by stripped thread though. Then I got a 1/2 inch tap and retapped the hole and used a #8 jic fitting with a cap. Seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help.
I realize this is an old thread but does anyone know the wrench or socket size for the drain plug. I don't have a set that big and I only want to buy one socket and have the right one when I crawl under there again.

decee

I realize this is an old thread but does anyone know the wrench or socket size for the drain plug. I don't have a set that big and I only want to buy one socket and have the right one when I crawl under there again.
It was 1"

Latest posts