new holland 555 skid steer hydraulics

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

howe33

Hello, I just bought my first skid steer its a new Holland l555, when I put it under a load it doesn't bog the engine down its like the hydraulics on the drive motors are bypassing, makes some awfull noises and the charge light does flash, any pointers to head me in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks guys.

SkidRoe

There is a member over in the NH section of the forum, Mike10, who should be able to help you with your problem.
Hopefully one of the Moderators will move your thread over there so Mike can see it. Cheers!!

OP
OP
H

howe33

There is a member over in the NH section of the forum, Mike10, who should be able to help you with your problem.
Hopefully one of the Moderators will move your thread over there so Mike can see it. Cheers!!
ok great , thanks, im new to this so bear with me

frogfarmer

ok great , thanks, im new to this so bear with me
Very worn drive motors can bypass enough fluid that the charge system cant keep up and the pumps will growl due to cavitation. Thats just one option there are many things that cause a loss of drive and charge pressure at the same time. Check the fluid levels and condition. If they are low or show signs of water contamination fix that first along with the filters. If the fluids are good run the machine and get a feel for everything it does and report back.

Mike10

If I had to guess I would suspect the drive motors. You really need to check pressures to make sure. You could also remove the small hose that goes from the side of the hydro pumps to the chain case and see how much case drain you have while the levers are stroked. Raise the loader up and block under the frame. Remove the small hose and attach a longer hose so you can direct the oil from the pumps into a bucket. Start the engine and see how much oil is flowing out of the hose. There should be some but it should not be shooting out of the hose. Stroke one lever and see how much the flow increases and then stroke the other lever. I cannot remember how manny gallons per minute is the spec, but if it comes shooting out of the hose you know you have a bad hydro pump.

OP
OP
H

howe33

If I had to guess I would suspect the drive motors. You really need to check pressures to make sure. You could also remove the small hose that goes from the side of the hydro pumps to the chain case and see how much case drain you have while the levers are stroked. Raise the loader up and block under the frame. Remove the small hose and attach a longer hose so you can direct the oil from the pumps into a bucket. Start the engine and see how much oil is flowing out of the hose. There should be some but it should not be shooting out of the hose. Stroke one lever and see how much the flow increases and then stroke the other lever. I cannot remember how manny gallons per minute is the spec, but if it comes shooting out of the hose you know you have a bad hydro pump.
Ok I will check those things and change filters and get back with results, much appreciated!

OP
OP
H

howe33

So i finally got around to checkin this out a little more so before i changed the fluid and filters i thought i would do that. I took that small hose off and stroked each lever like you said and noticed minimal fluid increase with each side, just barely enough to notice increase in flow out the end of the hose. I was happy to see that, so after i change the fluid and filters, clean and reseal inspection covers and also got to change tires i will run it and see how it does, thanks again for the tips and tricks guys talk to you soon!

OP
OP
H

howe33

So i finally got around to checkin this out a little more so before i changed the fluid and filters i thought i would do that. I took that small hose off and stroked each lever like you said and noticed minimal fluid increase with each side, just barely enough to notice increase in flow out the end of the hose. I was happy to see that, so after i change the fluid and filters, clean and reseal inspection covers and also got to change tires i will run it and see how it does, thanks again for the tips and tricks guys talk to you soon!
Hello, so i finally got around to checking this thing out more, and after a complete fluid and filter change and cleaning out the final drive cavities i got to run it a little today and still the same problems, as i am driving forward and raise the boom the charge light flashes, i even tried at full throttle and it did the same, so i am thinking i have a weak pump? it wouldnt even spin around on the grass it just growled at me, lol, anyway i noticed a port on the drive pumps so i checked the pressure and it was 140psi and also someone has welded in a bung at the cooler line at the rear so i put a guage there and it showed 190, this being around 3/4 throttle. Any info to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

OP
OP
H

howe33

Hello, so i finally got around to checking this thing out more, and after a complete fluid and filter change and cleaning out the final drive cavities i got to run it a little today and still the same problems, as i am driving forward and raise the boom the charge light flashes, i even tried at full throttle and it did the same, so i am thinking i have a weak pump? it wouldnt even spin around on the grass it just growled at me, lol, anyway i noticed a port on the drive pumps so i checked the pressure and it was 140psi and also someone has welded in a bung at the cooler line at the rear so i put a guage there and it showed 190, this being around 3/4 throttle. Any info to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Mike10

The charge pressure should be 150 - 190 PSI, so you are a little low. Did you happen to stroke the hydro levers to see how much the charge pressure dropped. If it drops very much it indicates a bad internal leak in the system. I still suspect the hydro motor since you are not getting much case drain coming from the pumps. A heavy flow from the case drain line at the pumps would indicate the leakage was in the pumps. As a rule the charge light momentarily flashing when operating the boom and driving is normal when quickly cycling the components on the L555. What is not normal is the unit not turning.

OP
OP
H

howe33

The charge pressure should be 150 - 190 PSI, so you are a little low. Did you happen to stroke the hydro levers to see how much the charge pressure dropped. If it drops very much it indicates a bad internal leak in the system. I still suspect the hydro motor since you are not getting much case drain coming from the pumps. A heavy flow from the case drain line at the pumps would indicate the leakage was in the pumps. As a rule the charge light momentarily flashing when operating the boom and driving is normal when quickly cycling the components on the L555. What is not normal is the unit not turning.
ok thank you so much. I did notice it drop a little when i moved the levers not much though i will have to try again to see how much. the guy i bought it from said the hydro pump had been replaced, so maybe not. So the hydro pump on the end of the drive pumps pump all the pressure or do they work together? thank you for your time!

OP
OP
H

howe33

hey mike, sorry about all the dump questions, i should have read the repair manual a little more, i did stroke the levers and watch the pressure, it dropped 9psi from the 150, at full forward, i am just gona have to go through the pumps and go from there, im thinking that the drive pumps are weak, if that dont do it ill go through the motors too, thanks!

OP
OP
H

howe33

hey mike, sorry about all the dump questions, i should have read the repair manual a little more, i did stroke the levers and watch the pressure, it dropped 9psi from the 150, at full forward, i am just gona have to go through the pumps and go from there, im thinking that the drive pumps are weak, if that dont do it ill go through the motors too, thanks!
After reading your post again i better start with the motors since i wasnt getting much drainage from the pumps, although at 3300hrs proly wouldnt be a bad idea to go through all of it since the pressure is low, thanks for the info!

Latest posts