need help with bobcat 773

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jim1

Hi guys just bought a used bobcat 773 fuel gauge is not working.I tested gauge with remote ground and it works. Suspect sending unit. Went looking for it cant even find the tank.Raised cab and traced filler hose down to area behind rear passenger tire. How do i get to tank cant even see it. Great on drag cars dont no squat about skid steers. could use some help from sombody whose been there done that. Thanks jim1

woodeneye25

to the half wit that designed these things i hope you cant sleep at night. On a 763 the tank is the first thing they put in then stick every thing on it over it and around it./The 763 tank is under the motor and pump if you look in the center under main drive hoses where they meet the pump thats your tank you can get to the feed line and sender but its not an easy task ./I just fill up every few hours ./ good luck

OP
OP
J

jim1

to the half wit that designed these things i hope you cant sleep at night. On a 763 the tank is the first thing they put in then stick every thing on it over it and around it./The 763 tank is under the motor and pump if you look in the center under main drive hoses where they meet the pump thats your tank you can get to the feed line and sender but its not an easy task ./I just fill up every few hours ./ good luck
Thanks for your reply woodeneye25 Was afraid I would get an answer like that I'll take another look at it see if i can get in there. Not a very good contourtionest don't know to spell it but you know what I mean. We'd be in big trouble if we had to replace the tank! Thanks again Jim1

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for your reply woodeneye25 Was afraid I would get an answer like that I'll take another look at it see if i can get in there. Not a very good contourtionest don't know to spell it but you know what I mean. We'd be in big trouble if we had to replace the tank! Thanks again Jim1
Thankfully the fuel tank doesn't need to be replaced often, its rare for it to fail. I do agree with you on its location... Its not nice at all.
I think the sender can be removed with everything in place, but its a pain in the butt. Worst case, can you remove the 4 engine/pump mounts and sneak the engine back a little to gain access? It won't move far, the engine and pump will move together.

OP
OP
J

jim1

Thankfully the fuel tank doesn't need to be replaced often, its rare for it to fail. I do agree with you on its location... Its not nice at all.
I think the sender can be removed with everything in place, but its a pain in the butt. Worst case, can you remove the 4 engine/pump mounts and sneak the engine back a little to gain access? It won't move far, the engine and pump will move together.
hi Tazza Haven't had time to get back in there, ether that or I'am afraid to crawl back in there nobody to call 911 when I get stuck. In any case I,ll let you guys know what happens in round 2. Thanks for the tips Jim1

7LBSSMALLIE

hi Tazza Haven't had time to get back in there, ether that or I'am afraid to crawl back in there nobody to call 911 when I get stuck. In any case I,ll let you guys know what happens in round 2. Thanks for the tips Jim1
1.11/16 socket can get later senders out. early external dia unkown nevr found anthing to fit. have gone as far as put hose clamp on it.and beat at it, access limted but around thru over or under, it still has to get done.. ive gone as far as pulling pkg, and still crumbles. having to replace tank. the float has been known to detiorete causing blocked pick up tube. needs done,:: hang from feet grow third arm and its gravy

OP
OP
J

jim1

1.11/16 socket can get later senders out. early external dia unkown nevr found anthing to fit. have gone as far as put hose clamp on it.and beat at it, access limted but around thru over or under, it still has to get done.. ive gone as far as pulling pkg, and still crumbles. having to replace tank. the float has been known to detiorete causing blocked pick up tube. needs done,:: hang from feet grow third arm and its gravy
Hey guys finely got the nerve up to go after sending unit. Your tips helped me to find it.What appeared to be a mound of dirt and grease with 2 wires sticking out of it was my sending unit. A couple shots of brake cleaner and a few shots with the blow gun exposed the little rascal.Had to cut out a home made wrench on the band saw bend a 1 inch step in it with a torch in the vice. This is after trying every wrench, plier, cresent, in the tool box. Home made wrench worked pretty good! I was greasey mess when done. working on bobcat not like working on super clean drag car. Anyway glad to be done and fuel gauge works fine. thanks for your help See you when the next problem pops up Jim1

Tazza

Staff member
Hey guys finely got the nerve up to go after sending unit. Your tips helped me to find it.What appeared to be a mound of dirt and grease with 2 wires sticking out of it was my sending unit. A couple shots of brake cleaner and a few shots with the blow gun exposed the little rascal.Had to cut out a home made wrench on the band saw bend a 1 inch step in it with a torch in the vice. This is after trying every wrench, plier, cresent, in the tool box. Home made wrench worked pretty good! I was greasey mess when done. working on bobcat not like working on super clean drag car. Anyway glad to be done and fuel gauge works fine. thanks for your help See you when the next problem pops up Jim1
Great news. I know what you mean about a greasy mess.... No matter how much you clean the machine, there are parts you can never quite get to.

mrdeere1959

Great news. I know what you mean about a greasy mess.... No matter how much you clean the machine, there are parts you can never quite get to.
I have clean for an 8 hr shift and not gotten everything clean. I have told customers that they can save money by keeping a machine clean and cleaning it before bringing it in. (never seems to get through to them)

Ironwood

I have clean for an 8 hr shift and not gotten everything clean. I have told customers that they can save money by keeping a machine clean and cleaning it before bringing it in. (never seems to get through to them)
Soooo, I have a similar problem with fuel guage not working and now the occasional fuel starvation issue becoming more prevalent. Guess the float has deteriorated and is blocking the line,....... so can I just try replacing the sending unit and screen and hopefully not have the remove the TANK , Yikes Ironwood