Melroe 500 bobcat- lugs or bolts

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Slick1951

I pull rear wheels off today and noticed that one of the previous owners had used 1/2" bolts and nuts instead of using lugs and nuts. Holes in hubs and rims have 9/16" holes so the 1/2" bolts were very sloppy. The front hubs are threaded to accept about a 5/8" bolt (not sure, took one off but didn't measure) with no nut.My question is are the rear hubs originally suppose to have lugs and nuts or were the rear hubs threaded like the front? I could not see any visible signs of threads in hub holes due to distoution from the 1/2" bolts. Thanks for reply.

SkidRoe

The hubs are to have lugs not bolts. If the stock lugs are sloppy in the holes, sometimes you can get lugs with larger knurled sections to fit oversize holes. Will likely take some Googling and research.
Hope this helps - SR

6brnorma

The hubs are to have lugs not bolts. If the stock lugs are sloppy in the holes, sometimes you can get lugs with larger knurled sections to fit oversize holes. Will likely take some Googling and research.
Hope this helps - SR
The M-500 came original with bolts. They are a nearly 50 year old skid steer…..you see all sorts of combinations on these machines. The axles (but not the sprocket) are interchangeable all the way from the M444 to the M-610. Lugs became standard with the introduction of the 610.

SkidRoe

The M-500 came original with bolts. They are a nearly 50 year old skid steer…..you see all sorts of combinations on these machines. The axles (but not the sprocket) are interchangeable all the way from the M444 to the M-610. Lugs became standard with the introduction of the 610.
Learned some thing today!! Everyday is a school day!!
Cheers - SR

6brnorma

I hear you Skid……I've been on these old 600 series machines for 45 years and I still learn new stuff all the time. :)
And my first post should have read…. "the axle (but not NECESSARILY the sprocket) are interchangeable."