Mega Diasters

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

Oil ----- I don't know if you'll are up on world news , so I want to tell you'll about the lastest deasiter to hit Louisiana , a drilling rig leased to BP drilling in 5,000 ft of water blew up and killed 11 of the 126 works on board , the BOP didn't activate and it ripped pipelines when it sank after three days of burning , it's is flowing 210,000 gallons of oil a day into the Gulf , this is like the 8th day , the slick is going to hit of coast today , the timing is terrible as shrimping season is kicking off , marine birds are nesting on the islands , fish are spawning , they think it could take 90 days to turn it off , the same thing happened in 1989 in the Bay of Campeche and it took them 9 months to stop the flow and it was in only 150 ft of water , this is 5,000 ft making things much more difficult , personally I think this spill will eventually cover every shore from Key West Florida to Cameron La , and is going to be by far the worst enviromental disaster ever

TriHonu

Any idea on why it is going to take so long to cap the well? They have submersibles that can reach the Titanic in over 12000 ft of water, 5000 ft shouldn't be an issue.
We can only pray that they get it under control quickly, but the clean-up will take a long time. This sure adds to the misery already inflicted on your area.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

Any idea on why it is going to take so long to cap the well? They have submersibles that can reach the Titanic in over 12000 ft of water, 5000 ft shouldn't be an issue.
We can only pray that they get it under control quickly, but the clean-up will take a long time. This sure adds to the misery already inflicted on your area.
the blow out preventer failed as did all of the other saftey system , makes you really wonder what really did happen , maybe we are not being told the whole story , they say that debree is over a couple of the leaks and they need 2 weeks to cut the metal away to get at them , there is 3 leaks total and the numbers of gallons per day keep going up , now the estimate is 1, 005, 000 per day , Exxon Valdez was 11 million , this will go a hundred million at the rate it's flowing if they can stop it in the 90 days they are estimating , I read there are 9 subs working on it -------it's on it's way to being the worst diaster in history

pondfishr

the blow out preventer failed as did all of the other saftey system , makes you really wonder what really did happen , maybe we are not being told the whole story , they say that debree is over a couple of the leaks and they need 2 weeks to cut the metal away to get at them , there is 3 leaks total and the numbers of gallons per day keep going up , now the estimate is 1, 005, 000 per day , Exxon Valdez was 11 million , this will go a hundred million at the rate it's flowing if they can stop it in the 90 days they are estimating , I read there are 9 subs working on it -------it's on it's way to being the worst diaster in history
Fish I thought about you and how much you love to the Gulf waters as soon as I heard about it. I pray that there is breakthrough that can stop this. I talked to a co-worker in Lafayette Louisiana when it first happened and he told me of the grave danger we were facing. I had no idea how bad it was. Amazing that the national news media hadn't picked up on it yet. They tell us what they want us to know and no more. I think you are right that this spill will go down in history as one of he worst man made disasters ever. Think about all the wildlife and the Gulf tourist business. Florida will suffer great economic loss if it damages their beaches. I am all for oil independence but we must conduct ourselves responsibly. Please keep us posted and if there is anything we can do let us know. I talked to my wife about spending our vacation assisting with the clean up if there are any opportunities to help out.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

Fish I thought about you and how much you love to the Gulf waters as soon as I heard about it. I pray that there is breakthrough that can stop this. I talked to a co-worker in Lafayette Louisiana when it first happened and he told me of the grave danger we were facing. I had no idea how bad it was. Amazing that the national news media hadn't picked up on it yet. They tell us what they want us to know and no more. I think you are right that this spill will go down in history as one of he worst man made disasters ever. Think about all the wildlife and the Gulf tourist business. Florida will suffer great economic loss if it damages their beaches. I am all for oil independence but we must conduct ourselves responsibly. Please keep us posted and if there is anything we can do let us know. I talked to my wife about spending our vacation assisting with the clean up if there are any opportunities to help out.
Your right about the national news , when I watch it I wonder who thinks up the question that the reporters ask , as they have nothing to do with the real situation and spins the interview off the target of what is really going on , I really don't believe 1/2 of what I hear on the news anymore , they try hard to make you think they way they want you to , change the channel and get a different prespect -----they have closed fishing zones to commercial and recreantional fisherman and more are coming to close as the slick approaches the interior marshlands , to add to the problems another drilling rig mysterious flipped over after it took on water but has not caused a major problem yet , it appears BP played this incident down saying they had it under controll and sent the first reponsce teams home , only to be recalled days later , the goverment sent armed SWAT teans and soldiers to man platforms and drilling rigs in the gulf , the survivors of the rig explosion said it was more than one blast , makes you really wonder whats going on , if nothing else I think everyone is going to see an increase in fuel cost soon as this area produces 1/3 of the nations oil and another percentage comes thru these pipelines and terminals , I wonder how bad it has to get till traffic will come to a halt , I would figure that older boats that use raw water cooloing system may not be able to work in the sludge and run hot , I can't imagine how many people have already been put out of work from this and how many others will follow , the shrimping , crabbing , oyster , charter fishing and recreational fishing industries have been shut down in a large portion of the state already , which in turn is closing the seafood processors , reatails , and eventually the restaraunts and possible tourism , hotel rooms for the out of town charter fishing clientel , you can actually smell the oil in the air like if you were working in a refinery and I am probally 150 from where the spill took place ,the weather is rough and the oil retaining booms are breaking apart and oil is slushing over them letting the oil come ashore , all in all this is beyond my wildest dreams

TriHonu

Your right about the national news , when I watch it I wonder who thinks up the question that the reporters ask , as they have nothing to do with the real situation and spins the interview off the target of what is really going on , I really don't believe 1/2 of what I hear on the news anymore , they try hard to make you think they way they want you to , change the channel and get a different prespect -----they have closed fishing zones to commercial and recreantional fisherman and more are coming to close as the slick approaches the interior marshlands , to add to the problems another drilling rig mysterious flipped over after it took on water but has not caused a major problem yet , it appears BP played this incident down saying they had it under controll and sent the first reponsce teams home , only to be recalled days later , the goverment sent armed SWAT teans and soldiers to man platforms and drilling rigs in the gulf , the survivors of the rig explosion said it was more than one blast , makes you really wonder whats going on , if nothing else I think everyone is going to see an increase in fuel cost soon as this area produces 1/3 of the nations oil and another percentage comes thru these pipelines and terminals , I wonder how bad it has to get till traffic will come to a halt , I would figure that older boats that use raw water cooloing system may not be able to work in the sludge and run hot , I can't imagine how many people have already been put out of work from this and how many others will follow , the shrimping , crabbing , oyster , charter fishing and recreational fishing industries have been shut down in a large portion of the state already , which in turn is closing the seafood processors , reatails , and eventually the restaraunts and possible tourism , hotel rooms for the out of town charter fishing clientel , you can actually smell the oil in the air like if you were working in a refinery and I am probally 150 from where the spill took place ,the weather is rough and the oil retaining booms are breaking apart and oil is slushing over them letting the oil come ashore , all in all this is beyond my wildest dreams
My wife is in Destin Florida (200 miles east of New Orleans) right now. She called me from the beach and stated you could already see streaks of light oil on the beach.
It will probably be years before it looks this good again. How depressing...

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

My wife is in Destin Florida (200 miles east of New Orleans) right now. She called me from the beach and stated you could already see streaks of light oil on the beach.
It will probably be years before it looks this good again. How depressing...
I like the Destin/ Navare Beach/Panama City , thats what we call the Emerald Coast because of the clear green water , been there many times for spring break and diving adventures , they say the oil is easier to clean up off the sand than the grass like we got , the slick is 180 miles by 80 miles now , the size of PortaRico and going fast , and they are talking about some of it getting caught in the Gulf Flow under water already and rounding Key West and going up the Eastern Seaboard ---------- thats really cool that you talked about coming down and doing some clean up work

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I like the Destin/ Navare Beach/Panama City , thats what we call the Emerald Coast because of the clear green water , been there many times for spring break and diving adventures , they say the oil is easier to clean up off the sand than the grass like we got , the slick is 180 miles by 80 miles now , the size of PortaRico and going fast , and they are talking about some of it getting caught in the Gulf Flow under water already and rounding Key West and going up the Eastern Seaboard ---------- thats really cool that you talked about coming down and doing some clean up work
http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/05/gulf_of_mexico_oil_spill_anima.html --------------doesn't look good on day 14 , 76 days till the estimated shut off , it will be in the entire Gulf by then , estimates are 210,000 gallons a day ---------- some guy called in a radio talk show and gave a fake name to protect himself , said he worked on the rig and that an extreme gas pocket that was between 30,000 and 40,000 psi blew out thru the well and ignitied which caused the blast , but officals still have no answer to what went wrong

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/05/gulf_of_mexico_oil_spill_anima.html --------------doesn't look good on day 14 , 76 days till the estimated shut off , it will be in the entire Gulf by then , estimates are 210,000 gallons a day ---------- some guy called in a radio talk show and gave a fake name to protect himself , said he worked on the rig and that an extreme gas pocket that was between 30,000 and 40,000 psi blew out thru the well and ignitied which caused the blast , but officals still have no answer to what went wrong
$4.00 a gallon gas , $4.35 diesel heading you'll way real soon

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

$4.00 a gallon gas , $4.35 diesel heading you'll way real soon
they hope to cut the flow by 85 % byFriday by dropping a gaint 40 foot funnel with a mile of pipe and hose attached to it over the broke well head 5,000 ft down and suck the oil from the sea floor as it comes out , if that works it would be great ----------- real high tech , ahhhhhh

pondfishr

they hope to cut the flow by 85 % byFriday by dropping a gaint 40 foot funnel with a mile of pipe and hose attached to it over the broke well head 5,000 ft down and suck the oil from the sea floor as it comes out , if that works it would be great ----------- real high tech , ahhhhhh
Sounds a lot like what you would see in a 1960 science fiction movie or someone was changing the oil in their Bobcat and said I wonder what would happen if I reverse this process. I hope it works they need to do something for sure!!

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

Sounds a lot like what you would see in a 1960 science fiction movie or someone was changing the oil in their Bobcat and said I wonder what would happen if I reverse this process. I hope it works they need to do something for sure!!
I was reading revalations about armegeddan , and the thrid sign was an angel that dumped a bowl in the sea which made it turn red and all living things in it died ,well sea turtles , fish and crabs are washing up dead with no oil on them , I think that it is the disperarants that they are pumping on the oil to break it up and make it not look as bad as it is , they said on the news last night that they have pumped more chemicals in the water so far than has been pumped in all the oil spills together in all of history , that can't be good for the enviroment

pondfishr

I was reading revalations about armegeddan , and the thrid sign was an angel that dumped a bowl in the sea which made it turn red and all living things in it died ,well sea turtles , fish and crabs are washing up dead with no oil on them , I think that it is the disperarants that they are pumping on the oil to break it up and make it not look as bad as it is , they said on the news last night that they have pumped more chemicals in the water so far than has been pumped in all the oil spills together in all of history , that can't be good for the enviroment
I saw the concrete box "fix" on the news tonight. They said it is the first time that they have attempted a repair quite like this. I am praying for a miracle.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I saw the concrete box "fix" on the news tonight. They said it is the first time that they have attempted a repair quite like this. I am praying for a miracle.
Day 42 of oil sprewing from the bottom , estimates have it at 40 million gallons so far , marshlands are covered , animals , turtles , and birds full of oil and dying , they put so much deperant on the oil it sank and Cousteu's grandson did a dive and showed film of the oil 30 ft thick at 10 ft under the surface for streches of 25 miles at a pop ,so you don't see the extent of the problem from the air and on TV , there is no end in site , best hope still 50 days away with a relief well they are drilling --------- someone videoed the President who flew in to evaluate the situation with a fly by , someone hired 300 workers and gave them all blue jeans , red shirts , straw hats and white shrimper boots and bused them in and they started racking the beach right under the fly by , after the fly by they all picked up and left , iin the days before that they were no more than 10 people cleaning a beach 10 miles long , what a joke

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

Day 42 of oil sprewing from the bottom , estimates have it at 40 million gallons so far , marshlands are covered , animals , turtles , and birds full of oil and dying , they put so much deperant on the oil it sank and Cousteu's grandson did a dive and showed film of the oil 30 ft thick at 10 ft under the surface for streches of 25 miles at a pop ,so you don't see the extent of the problem from the air and on TV , there is no end in site , best hope still 50 days away with a relief well they are drilling --------- someone videoed the President who flew in to evaluate the situation with a fly by , someone hired 300 workers and gave them all blue jeans , red shirts , straw hats and white shrimper boots and bused them in and they started racking the beach right under the fly by , after the fly by they all picked up and left , iin the days before that they were no more than 10 people cleaning a beach 10 miles long , what a joke
Day 80 something of the biggest oil spill in US history and they finally got the oil to stop flowing by connecting a new BOP device on top the fractured pipe , but it is a temporary thing till the relief well is complete , from reading I see where they are scared to totall shut off the well right now till they do a lot more testing as they are letting the oil flow thru the BOP in pipes to the surface and choking it off slowly while monitoring pressures , the 21 inch pipe was supposively 2 inches thich when this all started and from the estimated 70,000 to 100,000 psi flow which was picking up sand and rocks and sand blasting the inside the pipe I have read where the pipe is now less than 1 inch thich and possiblly can't hold the pressure , if it where to blow the side out the pipe then it would flow thru the mud and rock bottom and start eating away making the hole bigger and bigger and then no way to stop it ------BP put so much disperarant in the water to sink the oil , somewhere around 2 million gallons ( which I believe was to hide the oil from cameras) , that oil is suspended in the water coloum and on the bottom will be popping up for many years to come , President Obama put a moritorium on drilling which put another estimated 20,000 people out of work for what people are saying was political reasons , almost every seafood restaraunt , retail outlet ,processing factory and fisherman is out of work because people are affraid to eat seafood that may be contaminated with disperarants and oil , the disperarants they are using are supposively some very toxic stuff as it is banned in like 30 countries including BP's home town of England , it is truely a terrible thing and getting worst by the day even though the flow has stopped this will go on for a very long time to come