LX885 engine info

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jgeletko79

I have a 98 New Holland LX885. It went down hard a few weeks ago. Wound up demolishing the #1 cylinder, bending the connecting rod, and smashing the piston. The rod and piston weren't a huge deal. I could've bought them and been back in business in a few days. The cylinder was a problem. The damage was significant and not repairable. "No problem," I thought. I'll just call up the local New Holland guys. Their prices were not realistic for ME. I don't make a living w/ it. They don't offer a bare block, new short blocks are unavailable, so that left remanufactured short blocks with a hefty core that I would't get back. Anyway, the point in this for anyone that has a older New Holland skid steer (3 cylinder diesel), is that it's probably a Ford engine that's been around forever. The LX885 has a 332T engine per New Holland. It's basically a Ford 192 w/ a blower. In fact, I'm fairly certain the Ford 192 and 201 3 cylinder blocks are identical. They both use a 4.4" bore. The difference is in the stroke / crankshaft. 4.2" vs 4.4". There have been modifications over the years, but the block itself is the same dimension. One noticeable change was 1/2" head bolts in earlier blocks. Sometime in the early to mid 80's, they changed to 9/16 head bolts. Same with the timing cover. The block was changed from 5/16" to 3/8". My advice for anyone with a similar vintage machine with major engine trouble is to research Ford tractors and casting numbers. Once you crack the code, you'll figure out what you need pretty quick. Maybe this is common knowledge, and I'm the last to find out, but maybe not. The same would also apply to crankshafts, camshafts, rods, lifters, push rods, you name it. The Ford version may be easier to find and/or cheaper. Back to my machine, I found a Ford block with a later casting #. I'm building it as a 201ci vs a 192ci. My hopes are that the naturally aspirated 201 (I'm ommitting the blower) will produce about the same power as the 192 w/ turbo. Everything's sitting at the machine shop now. Hope to have it all back together in a week or 3. It's not going to wind up being cheap, just cheaper. By the way, I'm not anti dealer. I have 2 good ones fairly close to me that I use for what I need. Any comments are welcome. Hopefully none of you ever have the same problem.

Mike10

The EPA laws are why you can not get a new block or new short block or new engine, only reman. That is also the reason for the heafty core charges. The EPA wants to make sure there are no more poluting engines out there than there are already present.

Latest posts