Lx885 Axle/Hub/Wheel came out of machine while running.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

busted_knuckles

Wheel walked out while I was running it, axle shaft and its spline looks good, outboard bearing and seal are still on the axle shaft. I have not pulled the spindle off the machine yet. I assume there are a bunch of parts lying in the bottom the chain case. Do I need to remove the drive spindle, out of the chain case to put this back together ? If I do, how do you get it out, the drive sprocket appears to be in the way. I had a good time getting this heavy tripod into the shop ! LOL Thanks, BK.
04-02-2012 001
04-02-2012 002

jerry

thats the second one like that in just a few weeks, look down below to 675 wheel fell off.

OP
OP
busted_knuckles

busted_knuckles

thats the second one like that in just a few weeks, look down below to 675 wheel fell off.
I read your post, did you pull the the wheel drive sproket out of the chain case, or work with it in there ?
What part broke on yours, was it just the clip ?

skil11

I read your post, did you pull the the wheel drive sproket out of the chain case, or work with it in there ?
What part broke on yours, was it just the clip ?
I think it was just a clip. I bought about 5 different parts. Spacers and whatnot, cost 100 dollars. Not sure. Haven't received parts yet. Not sure if I must remove that sprocket. I have the whole side off. How your repair coming?

skil11

I think it was just a clip. I bought about 5 different parts. Spacers and whatnot, cost 100 dollars. Not sure. Haven't received parts yet. Not sure if I must remove that sprocket. I have the whole side off. How your repair coming?
It isn't hard, and doesn't look too complicated. You must remove all side and hub bolts. 1 panel is silicohed on. Lots of oil, messy but doesn't look too hard.

OP
OP
busted_knuckles

busted_knuckles

It isn't hard, and doesn't look too complicated. You must remove all side and hub bolts. 1 panel is silicohed on. Lots of oil, messy but doesn't look too hard.
I got it apart and cleaned yesterday, my "c-clip" failed, and is in 3 pieces. As the axle came out, it took out the ouboard bearing, and the inner seal.
Im ordering everything. The bearings are Timken 392s, and the Races Timken 394s, and will come from the bearing store. The rest will come from New Holland. Both the inner and outer bearings are the same bearing. Im sharing that for others, in case they want spares.
I jacked up the front of the machine and ran about 6 cans of brake fluid through the chain case after draining it to get all the acculuated crap out of the bottom of the chain case. I used a hand suction grease push pull tool made by lincoln, to remove the gear lube and all the brake clean and crap in the case, for there is no real "drain" plug. The one on the side, is basically the level its supposed to run, its not a drain.
I did cut a finger on both hands (makes it uncomfortable to type), from a burs on the chain, from everything coming apart. The chain did get bound up to the point it stopped the drive on the right side. That is how I knew I had a problem and caused me to stop the machine get out and notice the wheel assembly coming out of the machine, it had not made it all the way yet.

jerry

I got it apart and cleaned yesterday, my "c-clip" failed, and is in 3 pieces. As the axle came out, it took out the ouboard bearing, and the inner seal.
Im ordering everything. The bearings are Timken 392s, and the Races Timken 394s, and will come from the bearing store. The rest will come from New Holland. Both the inner and outer bearings are the same bearing. Im sharing that for others, in case they want spares.
I jacked up the front of the machine and ran about 6 cans of brake fluid through the chain case after draining it to get all the acculuated crap out of the bottom of the chain case. I used a hand suction grease push pull tool made by lincoln, to remove the gear lube and all the brake clean and crap in the case, for there is no real "drain" plug. The one on the side, is basically the level its supposed to run, its not a drain.
I did cut a finger on both hands (makes it uncomfortable to type), from a burs on the chain, from everything coming apart. The chain did get bound up to the point it stopped the drive on the right side. That is how I knew I had a problem and caused me to stop the machine get out and notice the wheel assembly coming out of the machine, it had not made it all the way yet.
On the LX 665 there is a recessed drain plug on the bottom of the chain case in the area of the fill plug. You should have one but may be hard to find if it is packed full of dirt.

OP
OP
busted_knuckles

busted_knuckles

One other note, for those browsing this, if you machine has a grease zerk on the spindle (the part on your machine that holds the wheel to the machine), grease that outer bearing. The zerk can be seen with the wheel on, but not sure you can get to it, to grease it with the wheel on. Ive been greasing mine every 100hrs, and the bearing wear looked fine, except the axle coming out did structrual damage to the bearing.
I have read where guys never greased it, and the outer bearing failed, allowing the same problem I have here, except in my case the c-clip broke instead of the bearing failing.
If you can, find grease that his 3% or more Moly, for those not in the know, this will make every greasable joint on your machine last much longer. I used to be a fleet mechanic, and was also the shop manager (for 12 years, the trucks averaged over a 100k miles a year), and have seen first hand what a difference grease can make on the life span of certian suspension parts. I use it for all grease applications, including high speed wheel bearings (cars/trucks/trailers).
Most grease manufacturers do offer of it (one fortified with moly), I find it at my local farm store.