LX865 Gremlin

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TBONE58

Hi my NH LX865 is finicky and works when it feels like it. Sometimes I can use it for several hours with no trouble. Other times it will start for a minute and out of the clear blue it just shuts down (it will restart in service mode to move it to where it belongs). There are times when in "run" it will start but the hydraulics won't work. I've tried replacing relays (start, interlock) and the hydraulic pressure sensor. Getting fed up with not being able to rely on this machine. Anyone with ideas? Thank you!

Shanmar

My experience would suggest it's a problem with an electrical connection. Most likely in the sockets of the fuses or relays in the engine compartment (or in cab). Had an L185 (it's similar in design electrically, but has an electric brake) that at times would suddenly lock up the brake. During a separate period of problems it would randomly shut down and then crank over but may or may not start. Both of these were resolved my wiring in new fuse or relay sockets for the correct item in the engine compartment. Also had a Deere 6675 (essentially a NH L565 with a Yanmar engine) having an intermittent electrical problem and ended up replacing fuse sockets in cab. In some of these cases, I bought some time by bending/crimping the blade on the fuse or relay some to make it fit tighter.
It's a challenge to figure out which one is the problem. Maybe you can have it running with the boom locked in the up position and then wiggle items to see if you find something that shuts it down.

OP
OP
T

TBONE58

My experience would suggest it's a problem with an electrical connection. Most likely in the sockets of the fuses or relays in the engine compartment (or in cab). Had an L185 (it's similar in design electrically, but has an electric brake) that at times would suddenly lock up the brake. During a separate period of problems it would randomly shut down and then crank over but may or may not start. Both of these were resolved my wiring in new fuse or relay sockets for the correct item in the engine compartment. Also had a Deere 6675 (essentially a NH L565 with a Yanmar engine) having an intermittent electrical problem and ended up replacing fuse sockets in cab. In some of these cases, I bought some time by bending/crimping the blade on the fuse or relay some to make it fit tighter.
It's a challenge to figure out which one is the problem. Maybe you can have it running with the boom locked in the up position and then wiggle items to see if you find something that shuts it down.
Thank you, those are great suggestions. I'll let you know how things turn out. Initially I though it was mice chewing on wires behind PC Board (and they have, at times) but I've replaced most of those wires. Out of curiosity, if copper shows even minutely on a wire, does that change the ampacity and cause the PC board to possibly shut things off?

Shanmar

Mice do bring in another dimension. But I wouldn't think barely exposed copper would cause any problem with the board as long as it isn't touching anything to ground it out.