Lx665 Hydraulic leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dieselrider

I have an LX 665 that has always seeped a bit of oil but the other day it was leaving a stream as I hauled some shale . Not a main hose that I can see up top but somewhere underneath. I have the seat up and the hydraulic pump exposed and can see most of the lines and such but, cannot tell where it is leaking. Could be a loose fitting, a bad line or a seal in the pump but I can't see it. If I put it back together to run it and work it I won't be able to see where either. Are there any places that this model is known to leak or should I just start pulling everything until I get under the pumps? There is a small belly plate under the pump but, very limited access to anything. Wonder why they wouldn't make a larger belly pan that could be removed?

SkidRoe

Leaks are a pain to say the least, especially when you can't get at them easily.
The way I typically find them is to steam clean the machine really well, then open every access panel you can. Start the machine and then using a flash light, carefully scour the machine for the leak. It sometimes helps if the shop is a bit dimly lit.
It sounds like the machine is leaking regardless of the bucket function, so that may eliminate some of the leak paths
The leak could really be coming from anywhere: a rubbed through line, a hose crimp, bad o-ring, etc.
Good Luck!!

jerry

there are some metal boom lines in the fender area, I had one crack and if I remember right the oil came out down underneath .

irvi00

there are some metal boom lines in the fender area, I had one crack and if I remember right the oil came out down underneath .
Given that you are seeing a "stream", it should be fairly easy to find. Not familiar with the underside of the 665, thought most of them had fully removable belly pans. Go with the earlier advice, clean it up good and look for the leak. Try and get it up on something where you can look at the underside.

OP
OP
D

Dieselrider

Given that you are seeing a "stream", it should be fairly easy to find. Not familiar with the underside of the 665, thought most of them had fully removable belly pans. Go with the earlier advice, clean it up good and look for the leak. Try and get it up on something where you can look at the underside.
Unfortunately mine does not have the removable belly pan (the belly pan under the engine is removable but not under the operato and pumps. Just a small plate in the center of the belly pan). I wish the whole thing was removable. It's not one of the hoses that run the boom as the can be seen by removing the fenders. It is either a seal or line under neath the pumps or somewhere in that vicinity. The day it was leaking bad, I did have it under a pretty good strain while digging some shale loose and carrying it a distance to where it was needed. Might that indicate a seal?