LX 865 went up in smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

roache

Help...was 8 degrees today, needed to work on a large manure pile. Upon keying on the starter, the starter continued to crank even when the ignition key was removed. Boom was down, could not disconnect the battery. Cranking but not starting, key in my pocket the positive battery cable caught on fire and melted the battery post right off the battery. Lasted about a minute. I know I sound like a believer in the tooth fairy, but hoping there is some hope for me. For starters, embarrassed to admit I have no idea where any fuses are located. Right now everything is dead. Applied 12 volts to the remaining battery leads but everything is dead including the computer panel. In my heart I know I'm in deep do do. Any encouraging suggestions ?

jerry

Hopefully the damage won't be to bad. I had that happen on 632 bobcat by the time you an get a wrench the battery is dead and the started is a almost glowing piece of junk. If it is this common I;m going to put a external master switch on the positive cable.

Mike10

The engine fuse panel is on the left side of the engine. right below the back of the cab. Under the fuse panel are two relays. the outside one is the starter relay. After you find out how much damage has been done replace this relay and the starter. One of these was probably the cause of the problem. You might also want to replace the start interlock relay in that fuse panel. It is the longeset relay in the engine fuse panel. The only other possible cause would be the ignition switch.
In the engine fuse panel you will find one or two fuse blocks. The right fuse block, the closest to the engine contains the fuses you need to check.
There is also a fuse panel in the cab right behind the service/run switch. You will see two thumbscrews on the bottom of the upper cab frame.

OP
OP
R

roache

The engine fuse panel is on the left side of the engine. right below the back of the cab. Under the fuse panel are two relays. the outside one is the starter relay. After you find out how much damage has been done replace this relay and the starter. One of these was probably the cause of the problem. You might also want to replace the start interlock relay in that fuse panel. It is the longeset relay in the engine fuse panel. The only other possible cause would be the ignition switch.
In the engine fuse panel you will find one or two fuse blocks. The right fuse block, the closest to the engine contains the fuses you need to check.
There is also a fuse panel in the cab right behind the service/run switch. You will see two thumbscrews on the bottom of the upper cab frame.
Jerry thanks for the glimmer of hope, to you Mike, my personal thanks for walking me through the recovery effort. I had idea where to begin.

Cobra-R

Below the fuses in the engine compartment, there are two relays. One is the start relay and the other is the engine preheat relay...they look identical and actually are the same part number. By far the most common cause of this problem is the starter relay. They are cheap and easy to replace, but cause expensive damage when they stick. Brian

OP
OP
R

roache

Below the fuses in the engine compartment, there are two relays. One is the start relay and the other is the engine preheat relay...they look identical and actually are the same part number. By far the most common cause of this problem is the starter relay. They are cheap and easy to replace, but cause expensive damage when they stick. Brian
My thank you to everyone. Good minds.