LX 485 Cold Starting Problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Joe dh

Machine is having problems starting when its cold or hasn't started in a few hours. It wont start unless its full throttle. After initial start up, it seems to start fine even at low idle. I have verified that the relays under the seat are working, the glow plugs are working and the fuel pump is ok. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cobra-R

The only way to make to make sure glow plugs are good is to remove them and put on 12 volts should glow at least a 1/4" all the way to the tip
You can check glow plugs with a continuity tester while leaving the glow plugs in the machine. Remove the power strip that goes from glow plug to glow plug. Put one probe on the positive (threaded) part of the glow plug and the other on a ground. If it is a open circuit, the glow plug is burned out. If there is continuity the glow plug still works. Brian

antfarmer2

You can check glow plugs with a continuity tester while leaving the glow plugs in the machine. Remove the power strip that goes from glow plug to glow plug. Put one probe on the positive (threaded) part of the glow plug and the other on a ground. If it is a open circuit, the glow plug is burned out. If there is continuity the glow plug still works. Brian
Yes you can do that but will not tell if it is getting HOT just that is has power

Cobra-R

Yes you can do that but will not tell if it is getting HOT just that is has power
How is that telling you that it is just has power? I said disconnect the strips (which is the power) In my explanation above, all you are doing is checking continuity.....just like you do for checking a fuse or a wire, ect. It allows you to check the glow plugs without removing them.....

antfarmer2

How is that telling you that it is just has power? I said disconnect the strips (which is the power) In my explanation above, all you are doing is checking continuity.....just like you do for checking a fuse or a wire, ect. It allows you to check the glow plugs without removing them.....
Sorry all your doing is checking continuity (power or ground connection) and a glow plug can have continuity and not work as intended it must glow red 1/4" to the tip to work

Cobra-R

Sorry all your doing is checking continuity (power or ground connection) and a glow plug can have continuity and not work as intended it must glow red 1/4" to the tip to work
I hope you just aren't understanding my description, because I guarantee you it is correct. A glow plug burning out is just like a light bulb or a fuse, 0 resistance if they are good, infinity resistance if they are bad. If you put one end of a continuity tester (registers Ohlms of resistance, not power) on the threaded (the threaded part I am referring to is where the power connects to the glow plug, not where the glow plug threads into the head) part of the glow plug (the power strip HAS to be disconnected from the glow plug) and the other tester wire to a ground..............if you have 0 resistance, the glow plug is good..............if you have infinity resistance........that glow plug is burned out. You can test a glow plug out of the machine the same way, just touch one probe to the threaded part as described above and the other probe to the body of the glow plug.

antfarmer2

I hope you just aren't understanding my description, because I guarantee you it is correct. A glow plug burning out is just like a light bulb or a fuse, 0 resistance if they are good, infinity resistance if they are bad. If you put one end of a continuity tester (registers Ohlms of resistance, not power) on the threaded (the threaded part I am referring to is where the power connects to the glow plug, not where the glow plug threads into the head) part of the glow plug (the power strip HAS to be disconnected from the glow plug) and the other tester wire to a ground..............if you have 0 resistance, the glow plug is good..............if you have infinity resistance........that glow plug is burned out. You can test a glow plug out of the machine the same way, just touch one probe to the threaded part as described above and the other probe to the body of the glow plug.
Yes I understand you are wrong a glow plug can test good with your test and still not work properly just a learning process live and learn!

antfarmer2

Yes I understand you are wrong a glow plug can test good with your test and still not work properly just a learning process live and learn!
The only way sure way to test a glow plug is to put it on the proper voltage and see if it GLOWS 1/4" all the way to the tip!!!

Cobra-R

The only way sure way to test a glow plug is to put it on the proper voltage and see if it GLOWS 1/4" all the way to the tip!!!
So does that also mean the only way to test a light bulb is to connect it to power and see if that glows or lights?? Dude, I sure hope your not a professional mechanic.

antfarmer2

So does that also mean the only way to test a light bulb is to connect it to power and see if that glows or lights?? Dude, I sure hope your not a professional mechanic.
No I am not but 50+ years of working on things 30+ plus years of building car + trucks at G.M I know a little bit a glow plug and a light bulb is not the same thing I am trying to save you hours of frustration but you have given much entertainment to the forum thank you lol.

Mike10

Well you are both right and wrong. You can check the glow plugs while they are in the machine, but just checking for continuity will not tell you if they are heating properly. The ohm resistance must be within a certain range for the glow plugs to work as designed. On a LX 485 the service manual says .7 ohms */- .16. I know if they are not around .7 ohms the glow plugs will not work effectively.

antfarmer2

Well you are both right and wrong. You can check the glow plugs while they are in the machine, but just checking for continuity will not tell you if they are heating properly. The ohm resistance must be within a certain range for the glow plugs to work as designed. On a LX 485 the service manual says .7 ohms */- .16. I know if they are not around .7 ohms the glow plugs will not work effectively.
That is what I was saying