LS170 Electrical Issue - Blowing 5 amp EIC fuse

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vanko23

Have a 2003 LS170 with about 3000 hours. Consistently blowing the 5 amp fuse that feeds the EIC and seat/belt circuit. Everything seems fine until the ignition switch is turned to the 'start' position, when the fuse blows, get the alarm, etc. (But if we switch the service/run switch to service, engine starts and runs fine.) If we replace the 5 amp fuse in the engine compartment, prior to sitting in the seat, the EIC is dark.(normal operation) When you sit in the seat, it goes through its checks, all lights on for a few seconds and then they turn off, and the parking brake and seat belt lights flash. When you plug in the seat belt, both of these lights go out. Turn key to 'run', and you can hear the preheat solenoid pull in and times out for x number of seconds, after done with preheat, you hear the quick beep letting you know it's ready to start. At this time the hydraulic solenoid locks also work properly because I can move both foot pedals for hydraulics..... When you turn the key to 'start' is when the fuse blows after only a few seconds of the starter being pulled in. Alarm sounds, EIC is dark, etc. (But if we switch the service/run switch to 'service', engine starts and runs perfectly.) We have spent many, many hours going through all of the circuits / components. We have checked wire harnesses, jumpering out seat/belt switches, hydraulic lock solenoids, start interlock relays, swapped the start and preheat relays, fuel shut off, cleaned EIC board, etc. We even did some jumpering to isolate the two separate wires coming off the back of the 5 amp EIC fuse. Individually fused the R/LT GN wire that goes directly to pin 14 P2 on the EIC and individually fused the LT GN/R wire that feeds the seat belt switches then to the start interlock relay and to pin 4 P2 on EIC. The fuse that blows has 100% been on the wire that feeds the seat / belt circuit, not the direct wire to the EIC. A key thing we noticed was that this fuse only blows when engine is running or trying to start. It does NOT blow when replacing fuse and nobody is in seat, or when you sit in seat, or buckle seat belt. It ONLY blows when ignition switch is turned to 'start' or if engine is running and ignition switch is in run. This 5 amp EIC fuse is now consistently blowing when turning ignition key switch to 'start', but it wasn't always this consistent. About 2~ weeks ago was the first we started to see issues. One night, sat in seat and everything seemed normal until key was turned to 'start' and everything went dark, no attempt to turn engine over, and no alarm... got out of machine and came back after about 10 minutes. Sat in seat and everything seemed fine again, had lights on EIC but when key was turned to 'start' everything was dark again, no alarm, etc. Didn't look into the issue that night. The next morning dad stopped up to look at it, machine started right up perfectly, no issues for about a day or so, then we started to see the issue intermittently. might run for an hour or so, maybe minutes, or even seconds over the ~2 week period of troubleshooting. But now it seems consistent with what I wrote in the first paragraph. Anybody have any ideas? Are we missing anything? Or is it time to purchase the crazy expensive EIC board? The one area we didn't spend a lot of time physically jumpering out wires/circuits was on the ignition switch and service/run switch... I guess some contacts could be shorted in those switches, but hard to test because they have a molded plug where all wires come off/on at once and a lot going on inside them. Appreciate the help. Looking for any ideas, things to look at. Thanks!

Tractormech

Wow-you are on a witch hunt for sure. The start relay solenoid in the fuse panel on the back of the cab-have you checked amp draw on that? Also, have you taken the start wire off of the starter so it won't spin and seen if it still blows the fuse when you put the key in start position? Also-if it blows the fuse and you flip it to service and start it, have you replaced the fuse and flipped it back to run and see if it operates correctly or instantly blows the fuse again? I assume all this occurs without touching the EIC board to release the brakes or any other function controlled by the EIC?

Tractormech

Wow-you are on a witch hunt for sure. The start relay solenoid in the fuse panel on the back of the cab-have you checked amp draw on that? Also, have you taken the start wire off of the starter so it won't spin and seen if it still blows the fuse when you put the key in start position? Also-if it blows the fuse and you flip it to service and start it, have you replaced the fuse and flipped it back to run and see if it operates correctly or instantly blows the fuse again? I assume all this occurs without touching the EIC board to release the brakes or any other function controlled by the EIC?
Also, take the wire off of the start relay so it won't make the solenoid operate and turn the switch to "start" and see if it blows the fuse then. If so you need to start looking for a short in the wiring. Pull the headliner if it has one and check the wiring harness where it runs down the top of the cab and turns down the right rear post. It has a spot in the curve where it can rub. It's supposed to be bracketed but it can get worn through the mesh jacket,

Batman76

Also, take the wire off of the start relay so it won't make the solenoid operate and turn the switch to "start" and see if it blows the fuse then. If so you need to start looking for a short in the wiring. Pull the headliner if it has one and check the wiring harness where it runs down the top of the cab and turns down the right rear post. It has a spot in the curve where it can rub. It's supposed to be bracketed but it can get worn through the mesh jacket,
hello, I've have a LS170 that was doing the same thing. Mine is only blowing when i was running it hard with a tiller putting in food plots, but it would do it after about 10 or 20 minutes of hard work. I put another fuse in and quickly it blew again. however, if it run the machine doing moderate work the issue does not occur. Was hoping to hear how the problem was solved. Thanks!

Latest posts