LS 170 Battery Warning Light

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sgj3030

I have a LS 170 that when started after about 10 seconds the battery warning light comes on and the alarm sounds. We just replaced the alternator and it still does it. The battery is puting out about 13.5 volts. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Stephen

Mike10

The light does not only warn you when the battery charge is low, but it also warns you if a fan belt breaks. It does this by monitoring the tach output at the alternator. If it is a low voltage alarm it should display a volt reading in the display.
To check the tach circuit, check for continuity between the P/R wire end at the alternator and the P/R pin at the connector on the back of the instrument panel. It should be pin 4.

xtreem3d

The light does not only warn you when the battery charge is low, but it also warns you if a fan belt breaks. It does this by monitoring the tach output at the alternator. If it is a low voltage alarm it should display a volt reading in the display.
To check the tach circuit, check for continuity between the P/R wire end at the alternator and the P/R pin at the connector on the back of the instrument panel. It should be pin 4.
i regulary check the forum for all the troubleshooting tips but missed this one and wish i hadn't. I'd been using one of my skids periodically to move pallets and the battery light was always flashing, i just assumed the old battery needed a charge. Fast forward to a few days ago when we started pushing snow , after about 20 minutes the battery light was flashing again, then the tach went to zero, then the engine temp light came on...sure enough it threw the belt. You know it would only happen in the middle of a storm at 2 am :( Hope everyone is doing well,
Steve