looking for OldMachinist

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
I actually sent him an email a few days ago just to see how things were going, I haven't heard back.
I noticed he hasn't been on for a while, hopefully everything is all good.

OP
OP
C

cp7

I actually sent him an email a few days ago just to see how things were going, I haven't heard back.
I noticed he hasn't been on for a while, hopefully everything is all good.
Thanks Tazza
We'll pray he's alright.

SkidRoe

Tazza

Staff member
Oh boy, this doesn't look good. This is OldMachinist's name and location in Illinois:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/belleville/obituary.aspx?n=donald-sherman&pid=174809493&fhid=24812
http://www.styningerfuneralhomes.com/obits/obituary.php?id=647685
Lines up with his hobbies and last posting date too. :(
It's really not looking good :(
That lines up with him.... I wonder if there are details of what happened.
He will be missed, i always thought if him being older, hense the OLD machinist, but he really wasn't old at all.

Tigerhaze

It's really not looking good :(
That lines up with him.... I wonder if there are details of what happened.
He will be missed, i always thought if him being older, hense the OLD machinist, but he really wasn't old at all.
Here is a more detailed obituary for Donald Sherman- I am not confirming he is one and same with OldMachinist but is the same person in the previously-posted obituary:
http://nash-news.com/pages/?p=13535
Whether this is him or not, I enjoyed reading posts from OldMachinist because his posts were very informative but to the point and he seemed to care about pointing people in the right direction.
Unfortunately in the heavy equipment community we recently lost another knowledgable person (Ed Christopherson) who hosted the "Crawler Heaven" website. I'll say a little prayer for families of both tonight.

6brnorma

Here is a more detailed obituary for Donald Sherman- I am not confirming he is one and same with OldMachinist but is the same person in the previously-posted obituary:
http://nash-news.com/pages/?p=13535
Whether this is him or not, I enjoyed reading posts from OldMachinist because his posts were very informative but to the point and he seemed to care about pointing people in the right direction.
Unfortunately in the heavy equipment community we recently lost another knowledgable person (Ed Christopherson) who hosted the "Crawler Heaven" website. I'll say a little prayer for families of both tonight.
If this is him, it is very sad for friends and family. I will miss his posts……they were always clear and to the point.

Tazza

Staff member
If this is him, it is very sad for friends and family. I will miss his posts……they were always clear and to the point.
I wish i had a way to contact his family, i only had his email address.
I checked another forum that he used to freequent, hobby machinist, his last post there was about two weeks before the date on the obituary....
He was always there for members on here, and he was there when i had machining questions for him too. He left us far too soon.

mark18mwm

I wish i had a way to contact his family, i only had his email address.
I checked another forum that he used to freequent, hobby machinist, his last post there was about two weeks before the date on the obituary....
He was always there for members on here, and he was there when i had machining questions for him too. He left us far too soon.
Tazza, are you on Facebook? I looked him up on Facebook and found him. That led me to find his family. I can send you a link to his brothers FB, (or Don's for that matter) account if you like. Going back in his daughters posts it sure seems that it was him and he is gone. I will certainly miss his insightful posts on here. Shoot me a email at [email protected] if you would like those links.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, are you on Facebook? I looked him up on Facebook and found him. That led me to find his family. I can send you a link to his brothers FB, (or Don's for that matter) account if you like. Going back in his daughters posts it sure seems that it was him and he is gone. I will certainly miss his insightful posts on here. Shoot me a email at [email protected] if you would like those links.
I am indeed on FB, I have emailed you my details.
I always thought he was much older than he really was, far too soon.
Whenever I had machining questions, he was always too happy to give advise.

OP
OP
C

cp7

I am indeed on FB, I have emailed you my details.
I always thought he was much older than he really was, far too soon.
Whenever I had machining questions, he was always too happy to give advise.
Yes very sorry to hear.
We'll pray for his family.

reaperman

:( only the good die young. He was usually spot on with most problems. I sure he will be missed by loved one's as well as our community here
It's sad to hear, it's a shame when someone passes that they can't leave their experience and knowledge behind. I almost hate to bring up the fact that we haven't heard from antfarmer lately either.

Tazza

Staff member
It's sad to hear, it's a shame when someone passes that they can't leave their experience and knowledge behind. I almost hate to bring up the fact that we haven't heard from antfarmer lately either.
Reaperman - you make a very good point..... Let's hope not! hopefully he is just busy.
As for Don, his daughter got back to me and told me what happened:
He went in for a cardiac cath in april to have a possible stint put in. They couldn't do that so he ended up having quintuple bypass surgery. He ended up coding twice after surgery and had a possible stroke. after about two weeks of him improving he went to PT in the morning, came back, coded and died.
She was very nice, as to be expected, the family situation has been a bit hectic.
In a way it's good to know it wasn't something like a farm acciedent that had him suffering, but for something that i assumed that these days was sort of routine, yet risky, it's just terrible.
He will be missed.......

billrbg

Reaperman - you make a very good point..... Let's hope not! hopefully he is just busy.
As for Don, his daughter got back to me and told me what happened:
He went in for a cardiac cath in april to have a possible stint put in. They couldn't do that so he ended up having quintuple bypass surgery. He ended up coding twice after surgery and had a possible stroke. after about two weeks of him improving he went to PT in the morning, came back, coded and died.
She was very nice, as to be expected, the family situation has been a bit hectic.
In a way it's good to know it wasn't something like a farm acciedent that had him suffering, but for something that i assumed that these days was sort of routine, yet risky, it's just terrible.
He will be missed.......
Tazza, I think it brought some comfort to his family that you contacted them; knowing he was appreciated "all over the world", not just locally.

SkidRoe

I'd like to think so too.
Thanks for the details, Tazza.
Heart disease is a congenital defect in our family as well, and my father has undergone all of those procedures, with successful results. It is heart breaking to hear that Don was not so lucky.
My heart goes out to his family, he was far too young. - SR