Looking for a L185

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tmc31

Hey all, I am new to this forum but have been reading the posts for a few weeks now. I currently have a 2002 LS170 with about 2600 hrs on it. I recently traded my older LX565 (which I had for 4 or 5 years) in on this machine. I have recently decided that the LS170 is too small for my needs and I am looking for a L185. Also, I want an enclosed cab with heat and air. If any of you have experiences with the L185 or LS185, good or bad, I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks, Tim

OP
OP
T

tmc31

Dang, I can't believe that on a New Holland forum that no one has an opinion about the L185's Tim

Tazza

Staff member
Dang, I can't believe that on a New Holland forum that no one has an opinion about the L185's Tim
This forum is not specifically for NH. There aren't as may of them floating around vs Bobcat machines. Give it some time, someone may give you their views.

skidsteer.ca

This forum is not specifically for NH. There aren't as may of them floating around vs Bobcat machines. Give it some time, someone may give you their views.
Sorry never sat in a 185, just have the 160
Ken

xtreem3d

Sorry never sat in a 185, just have the 160
Ken
Hi Tim,
I have an LT 185B(track) and an LS 185B (wheel). My 185b specifically, is bacically loaded with almost all options i know of except Hi-Flow. It's about an '03 i think. It is so unbelievably smooth to operate. That air works great as does the heat. It has the turn signals, flashers, beacon , quick attach, weight kit, foam tires, suspension seat,wiper, resevoir,. I just can't say enough good things about it. I also have some 565's and a 985. most of those you can hear some gear whine but the 185 has a different type of drive that is quite and smooth. Someone who knows alot more tha I do can comment on the different drives. I know I ran an LS 180 that has something like a centrifical something?? and it was so loud you alomost needed ear protection,
Best of luck,
Steve

OP
OP
T

tmc31

Hi Tim,
I have an LT 185B(track) and an LS 185B (wheel). My 185b specifically, is bacically loaded with almost all options i know of except Hi-Flow. It's about an '03 i think. It is so unbelievably smooth to operate. That air works great as does the heat. It has the turn signals, flashers, beacon , quick attach, weight kit, foam tires, suspension seat,wiper, resevoir,. I just can't say enough good things about it. I also have some 565's and a 985. most of those you can hear some gear whine but the 185 has a different type of drive that is quite and smooth. Someone who knows alot more tha I do can comment on the different drives. I know I ran an LS 180 that has something like a centrifical something?? and it was so loud you alomost needed ear protection,
Best of luck,
Steve
Thank you Steve for that recommendation. The L185B is the one I really want so the search is on!! Does yours have the hydraulic attachment plate? If so, is it pretty reliable? Sometimes I have to fight the manual plate on my LS170 as did I on my LX565. I find myself switching back and forth from a dirt bucket to pallet forks quite often in the course of my day when on the jobsite. I think the hydraulic one would be a godsend. Tim

xtreem3d

Thank you Steve for that recommendation. The L185B is the one I really want so the search is on!! Does yours have the hydraulic attachment plate? If so, is it pretty reliable? Sometimes I have to fight the manual plate on my LS170 as did I on my LX565. I find myself switching back and forth from a dirt bucket to pallet forks quite often in the course of my day when on the jobsite. I think the hydraulic one would be a godsend. Tim
Tim,
Yes mine has the hyd attach plate and your right , it's a godsend..especially in the summer with the A/C on because you don't have to get out. i have not had any problems with the attachment plate..it seems to always line up fine.
Steve

OP
OP
T

tmc31

Tim,
Yes mine has the hyd attach plate and your right , it's a godsend..especially in the summer with the A/C on because you don't have to get out. i have not had any problems with the attachment plate..it seems to always line up fine.
Steve
Went in to my NH dealer today to check on the search for a L185. He asked me if I would be interested in a L190 that he just took in on trade. The L190 is a 2007 model with 1037 hrs on it. Cab, heat/ac, hyd plate, tires maybe 50%. This machine is less than 800lb more that the L185 I was looking for so it will still fit into my weight/dimension parameters. I am going to take it out and give it a work out this weekend.

OP
OP
T

tmc31

Went in to my NH dealer today to check on the search for a L185. He asked me if I would be interested in a L190 that he just took in on trade. The L190 is a 2007 model with 1037 hrs on it. Cab, heat/ac, hyd plate, tires maybe 50%. This machine is less than 800lb more that the L185 I was looking for so it will still fit into my weight/dimension parameters. I am going to take it out and give it a work out this weekend.
So, I brought home the L190 that my dealer wanted me to look at so I could play with it this weekend. It appears to be an early 2007 L190 with a 81 HP (gross) 4 cylinder normally aspirated engine and a flat glass door. According to a mechanic at the dealership, there was a model change in that year where they went to a curved glass door, updated cab and who knows what other changes. Does anybody know how to tell when the machine was manufactured by looking at the serial number? It does not have an owners manual with it and I can't seem to find the specs. I am not even sure what engine it has in it. Does anybody know where the tag for the engine would be located? This machine seems to be very well kept with fairly low hours (1079 hrs) for it's age. The machine seems to start good and runs well until you advance the throttle to nearly full power. Then it sputters and cuts out (still runs, but rough). If you back off of the throttle, it smooths out. The sputtering started when I picked up a full bucket of dirt. Thought maybe that the fuel gauge was bad and that it was trying to run out of diesel. Gauge shows full and when I tried to add fuel from a 5 gal can, it only took about a gallon. So gauge is ok, Skid is full of fuel. Now I am thinking maybe a dirty fuel filter or an injector problem. I can't see any unusual smoke while operating. . Anybody got any other ideas what might be causing this? The machine might be a keeper if the dealer can sort out this and a few other minor problems. He hasn't given me a price so that will certainly affect my decision too. Thanks, Tim

OP
OP
T

tmc31

So, I brought home the L190 that my dealer wanted me to look at so I could play with it this weekend. It appears to be an early 2007 L190 with a 81 HP (gross) 4 cylinder normally aspirated engine and a flat glass door. According to a mechanic at the dealership, there was a model change in that year where they went to a curved glass door, updated cab and who knows what other changes. Does anybody know how to tell when the machine was manufactured by looking at the serial number? It does not have an owners manual with it and I can't seem to find the specs. I am not even sure what engine it has in it. Does anybody know where the tag for the engine would be located? This machine seems to be very well kept with fairly low hours (1079 hrs) for it's age. The machine seems to start good and runs well until you advance the throttle to nearly full power. Then it sputters and cuts out (still runs, but rough). If you back off of the throttle, it smooths out. The sputtering started when I picked up a full bucket of dirt. Thought maybe that the fuel gauge was bad and that it was trying to run out of diesel. Gauge shows full and when I tried to add fuel from a 5 gal can, it only took about a gallon. So gauge is ok, Skid is full of fuel. Now I am thinking maybe a dirty fuel filter or an injector problem. I can't see any unusual smoke while operating. . Anybody got any other ideas what might be causing this? The machine might be a keeper if the dealer can sort out this and a few other minor problems. He hasn't given me a price so that will certainly affect my decision too. Thanks, Tim
Edit to prior post: when the loader engine is sputtering, it is blowing serious white smoke Tim

Tazza

Staff member
Edit to prior post: when the loader engine is sputtering, it is blowing serious white smoke Tim
May be a filter or some sort of rev limiting. Talk to the dealer about it on Monday, see what they have to say about it.

Bobcatdan

May be a filter or some sort of rev limiting. Talk to the dealer about it on Monday, see what they have to say about it.
I would try filters first too. I don't know what problems these thing have, but double check the coolan level is fine. If I read your post right, you are demo it right? The problem is the the dealer problem, not yours. Do not buy it if they will not fix it before you buy it. The saleman who traded it should have notice running troubles, if he work for us and didn't, he'd get chewed out.

OP
OP
T

tmc31

I would try filters first too. I don't know what problems these thing have, but double check the coolan level is fine. If I read your post right, you are demo it right? The problem is the the dealer problem, not yours. Do not buy it if they will not fix it before you buy it. The saleman who traded it should have notice running troubles, if he work for us and didn't, he'd get chewed out.
Thanks Taz & Bobcat, Yes, I am just demoing it. My dealer only had it on the lot for a day and told me as were looking at it that I knew as much about it as he did. I have been working with this salesman for many years now and I am sure he will fix anything that needs fixing before I buy it. That's the value in demoing a piece of used equipment before committing to buy it. I have had all weekend to play with it and have found several minor issues he needs to take care of. Taz, it definitely is a rpm limiting device. I suspect that the previous owner serviced it before he turned it in as all the fluids were topped off and clean. I can't tell if the filters were changed or not but this does sound kind of like a dirty fuel filter. Tim

OP
OP
T

tmc31

Thanks Taz & Bobcat, Yes, I am just demoing it. My dealer only had it on the lot for a day and told me as were looking at it that I knew as much about it as he did. I have been working with this salesman for many years now and I am sure he will fix anything that needs fixing before I buy it. That's the value in demoing a piece of used equipment before committing to buy it. I have had all weekend to play with it and have found several minor issues he needs to take care of. Taz, it definitely is a rpm limiting device. I suspect that the previous owner serviced it before he turned it in as all the fluids were topped off and clean. I can't tell if the filters were changed or not but this does sound kind of like a dirty fuel filter. Tim
Well I pulled the trigger on the L190 Skid steer. Dealer says he will have all the issues cleared up and it will be ready for me to pick up Thursday I asked him about a warranty, and he threw in a 90 day power train warranty. I also picked up a 36" auger and a 6' extension (already had the auger drive). Now if I can just find an aftermarket cup holder for it! I just returned home from the dealer and a guy called asking me if I still do brush work? I had advertised on CL for doing tractor mowing and brush work. I told him "you bet" I can be there Friday Tim