L565 injector stuck open?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rockpile

After I changed the fuel filter, (was over-due & something might have got past the filter). I have had trouble starting engine, air in lines?? It's a hard start if machine has not run for days, crank it 5-8 times rough start, blows black smoke, then runs well; always starts quickly if only off for 1-4 hours. What is the best way to remove / check injectors or should I look in another direction? Thank you for any help.

frogfarmer

Check the glow plugs. They are known to fail or partially fail. If the fuel system was starving prior to the filter replacement it may be getting enough to foul the cylinder without the heat of the glow plugs now that everything is flowing as it should. The injectors also have been known to act up so dont rule that out but it sounds like a glow problem to me.

jerry

Check the glow plugs. They are known to fail or partially fail. If the fuel system was starving prior to the filter replacement it may be getting enough to foul the cylinder without the heat of the glow plugs now that everything is flowing as it should. The injectors also have been known to act up so dont rule that out but it sounds like a glow problem to me.
I had one glow plug go bad last winter in the 665 and it made a huge difference in starting. Got a new one through NAPA for about 25, I think the dealer wanted close to 50 for one.

OP
OP
R

rockpile

Thanks to both replies, I redirected my efforts. I pulled the rail and tested the resistance on each plug. About 1.2 ohm on 1 & 4, 24. ohms on 2, 44. ohms on 3. Pulled 2 & 3, shorted each across 12 v for about 20 seconds, just warm to the touch. Ordered a couple NGK Y70IRS through O'Reilly be about $30 total, two days. Looking good.

antfarmer2

Thanks to both replies, I redirected my efforts. I pulled the rail and tested the resistance on each plug. About 1.2 ohm on 1 & 4, 24. ohms on 2, 44. ohms on 3. Pulled 2 & 3, shorted each across 12 v for about 20 seconds, just warm to the touch. Ordered a couple NGK Y70IRS through O'Reilly be about $30 total, two days. Looking good.
Pull them and hook to a battery should glow 1/4 to the tip also bleed the air out

frogfarmer

The resistance check is a good place to start but verification that the tip glows red with current attached is the best. I have had several that checked good resistance wise but did not heat to the tip. I personally would replace all the plugs just so I knew they would heat equally when the timer energizes. Even though the old plugs may test good they may take longer to fully heat compared to the new plugs.

antfarmer2

The resistance check is a good place to start but verification that the tip glows red with current attached is the best. I have had several that checked good resistance wise but did not heat to the tip. I personally would replace all the plugs just so I knew they would heat equally when the timer energizes. Even though the old plugs may test good they may take longer to fully heat compared to the new plugs.
I agree!!!!!

antfarmer2

New glow plugs got hot, L565 starting quick & running good, back to moving flood debris. I'll keep an eye on those other two plugs. Probable order a couple just in case. Thanks again, it really matters.
Good to hear but go ahead and replace the other two they will bite you in the ass later and it never happens at a good time