L555 Hydraulic issues- New owner

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

buzzarama

Hello, I have read quite a few topics on here pertaining to hydraulic issues and I know that I need to clean or change the suction filter/screen but I cannot get the cap off, which tells me it hasnt been done in quite some time. It is a cap that comes off right? not the whole pipe (like a filter body) The issue is I have no movement via boom or transmission, the engine slightly draws at low idle when moving the levers but no attemt to move. The fluid is full and looks to be good, the guy I bought it from said he just changed it but I will do a change myself. My main question is, how much suction should there be coming from the hose connected to the standpipe? Mine has very very low suction, even at high throttle. The Hydr charge light is staying on constantly as well. After 30 mins of getting it home I had the engine running, it has a perkins diesel and it sounds strong, new batteries and fixing the starter cable that was chewed into. I only paid $1500 for the machine so I think I have a little room for repair cost. Right? Any help would be great. David

Mike10

You might try an air hammer to rattle the cap and see if that frees it up. Otherwise I would pull the hyd pump and if the shaft has not broken off I would reseal it. Unless the standpipe screen is completely plugged this should get you going. As always check the pump for excessive wear when apart.

Ivan

You might try an air hammer to rattle the cap and see if that frees it up. Otherwise I would pull the hyd pump and if the shaft has not broken off I would reseal it. Unless the standpipe screen is completely plugged this should get you going. As always check the pump for excessive wear when apart.
Not to hijack this thread but if the hyd charge light comes on is this a sign of a plugged screen or something more serious?

Mike10

Not to hijack this thread but if the hyd charge light comes on is this a sign of a plugged screen or something more serious?
A plugged screen is a symptom of something serious going on. The charge light coming on can be something as simple as a bad pressure sender or hyd pump or on the more serious side a thrashed hydrostat system. If the boom and bucket do not work along with the hydrostat, then you have a hyd pump or hyd pump drive problem. A plugged screen should not be overlooked as a possible cause but it is usually something else.

Cobra-R

The thing that jumps out at me is, you said the prior owner just changed the hyd oil. If you change the hyd oil on these machine, when you fill them back up, you need to remove the cap on the suction screen or it can get air locked. I have seen it many many times. Get that cap off, clean the screen and make sure the system is topped off....then put the cap back on. If you still have issues, then the other things mentioned above are where you should look. Brian

OP
OP
B

buzzarama

The thing that jumps out at me is, you said the prior owner just changed the hyd oil. If you change the hyd oil on these machine, when you fill them back up, you need to remove the cap on the suction screen or it can get air locked. I have seen it many many times. Get that cap off, clean the screen and make sure the system is topped off....then put the cap back on. If you still have issues, then the other things mentioned above are where you should look. Brian
OK, finally got the cap off, it was rusted pretty good. Replaced the o ring, cleaned the extremely clogged screen (45 mins worth of nastyness). Put it back in and refilled lost fluid. Started it, it whined for about 30 seconds and then presto. After running for about 5 mins I checked the fluid and it has tons of bubbles and a little milkyness. This machine was clearly not maintained properly and I know I have a ways to go as it whines loud at high rpm but the hydr charge light went out. Now its time to change the fluid/filters, start cleaning, lubing, painting and re decaling :) Then.... Having fun. BTW, what is a fair price for a project like mine? (Thanks for all your replies. Got a lot to learn and hopefully I can help in return.) David