Just bought a 60XT, need some help / advice

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtyb115

Hi all. So after a long search i found what i think is a good deal on a 2002 60XT. Picked it up for 4750. The motor runs great, and the hydraulics seem good from the limited time i have had it running, but it has its fair share of problems. First, the left side steering is just about impossible to use right now. Im 90% sure it is in the linkage, the arm just does not move like it should, likes it binding up or something. Hoping to get a better look sometime in the upcoming week. I also noticed one of the tilt cylinders has a leak so getting ready to order a seal kit. Any tricks or write ups that would help me replace the seals. (im somewhat new to hydraulics so could use any help i can get.) The quick attach levers are also seized so i can not get the bucket to lock in place. I have to give it a good cleaning before i can see what is going on. There is so much rust on the machine, im pretty sure they are just rusted shut. Hopefully wont have to cut them out and replace, but we will see. As i said before, the machine is rusted pretty bad, looks like it was stored outside its entire life. I would like to try and clean up the rust as best as i can and paint it. I dont need it to look pretty just, keep it from rusting again. I have a compressor, but have never done any painting with it. Would i be better off learning to paint with it, or would rattle cans do what i need? What about knocking the rust off? I was thinking maybe a wire brush then something like naval jelly? Also, besides oil, fuel, hydro filters, is there anything else i should look for as far as general maintenance? Sorry for the long post, just getting ready for a big project. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Ram seals are pretty simple, just take note of the direction of the lips on the seals that come out and go back in. Keep things clean and lubed when putting them back in. A good seal shop should be able to match them too. Remove the parts of the ram, rod/piston and gland take it in and they should do the rest.
As its rusty, i'd suspect your steering is bad because of rust.
I have a machine that is rather rusty too, i attacked it on the weekend with a wire buff on a grinder, scabbler and sand blaster. Its a big job, but taking some time, you'll get there.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

Ram seals are pretty simple, just take note of the direction of the lips on the seals that come out and go back in. Keep things clean and lubed when putting them back in. A good seal shop should be able to match them too. Remove the parts of the ram, rod/piston and gland take it in and they should do the rest.
As its rusty, i'd suspect your steering is bad because of rust.
I have a machine that is rather rusty too, i attacked it on the weekend with a wire buff on a grinder, scabbler and sand blaster. Its a big job, but taking some time, you'll get there.
So, i started on the taking the cylinder out to replace the seals and that is when i notice how bad the pins/bushings were that attach to the quick attach plate. In fact the metal was cracked all the way around one of the bosses so if i reuse this quick attach setup ill have to do some repairs. To make matters worse, the handles for the quick attach pins were right in the way of the pins i had to take out. You can not get the pins out unless the handles are up. I had been working on the handles for the last week and they would not budge with a sledgehammer or anything. (The previous owner bolted the bucket to the quick attach so I am guessing the quick attach has been rusted shut for a long time.) Finally i just broke them off so i could get the pins out. So..... that being said, do you think i could use something like this "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-skid-steer-adapter-Adjustable-rollback-/390221511434?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7690707292855571342" Or would i be better off repairing the OEM one that i have?

Tazza

Staff member
So, i started on the taking the cylinder out to replace the seals and that is when i notice how bad the pins/bushings were that attach to the quick attach plate. In fact the metal was cracked all the way around one of the bosses so if i reuse this quick attach setup ill have to do some repairs. To make matters worse, the handles for the quick attach pins were right in the way of the pins i had to take out. You can not get the pins out unless the handles are up. I had been working on the handles for the last week and they would not budge with a sledgehammer or anything. (The previous owner bolted the bucket to the quick attach so I am guessing the quick attach has been rusted shut for a long time.) Finally i just broke them off so i could get the pins out. So..... that being said, do you think i could use something like this "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-skid-steer-adapter-Adjustable-rollback-/390221511434?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7690707292855571342" Or would i be better off repairing the OEM one that i have?
I personally would try and repair the one you have on there now. With how rusted it sounds, you may have a job ahead of you. Others have used shop presses to push the pins out or even a jack hammer. Heat/penetrating oil helps.
Sadly, you have some work to do.
The issue i see with the adaptor plate is that you need to mount it to your loader arms still, the one on ebay just looks like an adaptor to adjust the roll back angle of the attachment you are fitting.