Hydra Mac Mitey Mac 8B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KnightIRD

Hi. I have a Mitey Mac model 8B with an Onan engine in it. Replaced the flywheel, and starter, and now it won't turn over at all. No noise when the key is turned. The engine was out of the loader when we replaced the starter and flywheel. We put it back in, and it does NOTHING. There IS 12 volts to the starter, and the battery is fully charged. The ground cable is okay, no wires pinched, all are hooked up correctly. We put in our old starter, which still works, but has a torn off gear guard, and that did nothing as well. Both of the starters work just fine. Could it be the ignition switch? Please Help ME!!!

Tazza

Staff member
Try jumping from the +ve connector on the starter to the starting terminal on the starter motor. It will by-pass the ignition switch.
It could be as simple as a bad relay.

OP
OP
K

KnightIRD

Try jumping from the +ve connector on the starter to the starting terminal on the starter motor. It will by-pass the ignition switch.
It could be as simple as a bad relay.
Okay, so we got that problem fixed. We didn;t have a wire hooked up right. But now, it turns over, starts, runs for about 5 secs and turns off again. I think it's probably the points. Anyone else think anything else of it? Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Okay, so we got that problem fixed. We didn;t have a wire hooked up right. But now, it turns over, starts, runs for about 5 secs and turns off again. I think it's probably the points. Anyone else think anything else of it? Thanks!
Fuel supply?
Points shouldn't let it run for a few seconds and stop... I'd have thought if they were bad, it wouldn't run or run like a bucket of poo.

OP
OP
K

KnightIRD

Fuel supply?
Points shouldn't let it run for a few seconds and stop... I'd have thought if they were bad, it wouldn't run or run like a bucket of poo.
Okay. So we JUST replaced the fuel, and the same thing. It runs a little better in those 5 secs now, but it's still doin the same thing. Also, do you know how to adjust the hydrostat drive control? Everytime it turns over, it wants too creep forward or backward. Thank

Tazza

Staff member
Okay. So we JUST replaced the fuel, and the same thing. It runs a little better in those 5 secs now, but it's still doin the same thing. Also, do you know how to adjust the hydrostat drive control? Everytime it turns over, it wants too creep forward or backward. Thank
Sorry, never worked on one, it should be an adjustment at the pump though. If it's mainly to get it running properly without creeping and extra load, you can always jack it up so the wheels are off the ground. Then work on the creeping when the engine is right.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry, never worked on one, it should be an adjustment at the pump though. If it's mainly to get it running properly without creeping and extra load, you can always jack it up so the wheels are off the ground. Then work on the creeping when the engine is right.
I forgot to add, does the engine start straight up if you crank after it dies?
I guess compression could be a factor, as are plugs and leads, even the rotor in the distributor.
Can you take a plug off and hook up a plug and rest it on a metal part, check the colour of the spark while cranking? I think it's meant to be blue, red means it's weak. At least this was what i was told.

OP
OP
K

KnightIRD

I forgot to add, does the engine start straight up if you crank after it dies?
I guess compression could be a factor, as are plugs and leads, even the rotor in the distributor.
Can you take a plug off and hook up a plug and rest it on a metal part, check the colour of the spark while cranking? I think it's meant to be blue, red means it's weak. At least this was what i was told.
Okay, so the sparks LOOK blue. I have several pics and vids on my skydrive. IDK if these will help, but I hope they do! https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=65FDFEF61FEB5263!614&authkey=!AOLlYiXaoC4A14E Also, there is a guy in town, who is selling a Gehl 4500. IDK how much, but do you think maybe it would be something to take into consideration? THANKS!!!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
Okay, so the sparks LOOK blue. I have several pics and vids on my skydrive. IDK if these will help, but I hope they do! https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=65FDFEF61FEB5263!614&authkey=!AOLlYiXaoC4A14E Also, there is a guy in town, who is selling a Gehl 4500. IDK how much, but do you think maybe it would be something to take into consideration? THANKS!!!!!!
Blue means you are getting a strong spark, could even be something with the carb now. This is why i'm now a fan of Diesels, compression, air and fuel, no spark to worry about...

OP
OP
K

KnightIRD

Blue means you are getting a strong spark, could even be something with the carb now. This is why i'm now a fan of Diesels, compression, air and fuel, no spark to worry about...
So... What do you suggest that I do now?

OP
OP
K

KnightIRD

Oh. I just got word that it's the ignition switch. He held the key in the start position, and it ran for a good minute. So, we have to get a new ignition, and hopefully it'll work.
Okay, ANOTHER problem. Go figure. We are getting ABSOLUTELY NO spark at all anymore, so how would I be able too check if the coil were bad? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! And if it would be anything else, im in for suggestions.

Tazza

Staff member
Okay, ANOTHER problem. Go figure. We are getting ABSOLUTELY NO spark at all anymore, so how would I be able too check if the coil were bad? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! And if it would be anything else, im in for suggestions.
Can you check that there is power to the coil? it could be a bad connector in the harness....

OP
OP
K

KnightIRD

Can you check that there is power to the coil? it could be a bad connector in the harness....
Okay, sorry for the long time. It turns on, runs for about 4 seconds, and it only runs on one cylinder. One cylinder is wet when we pull the plug out, and the other one is dry. What would cause this, and what would cause it to run in one cylinder? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Okay, sorry for the long time. It turns on, runs for about 4 seconds, and it only runs on one cylinder. One cylinder is wet when we pull the plug out, and the other one is dry. What would cause this, and what would cause it to run in one cylinder? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Could it be a bad lead? or distributor? or is it a two cylinder with a fly wheel mounted coil pack? It's possible one is bad giving you no spark, that is why it's wet, no spark so the fuel will just build up.

joer

Could it be a bad lead? or distributor? or is it a two cylinder with a fly wheel mounted coil pack? It's possible one is bad giving you no spark, that is why it's wet, no spark so the fuel will just build up.
I didn't think the older onans had a distributor, they ran a 2 plug coil and both wires get spark at the same time, which negates the distributor. I'm speaking about the older NHC series, I don't know about the performer series though, As far as the no spark, depending on the engine probably just have the points off, based on what you have written you messed around with it a lot and proabaly bumped the coil pack on top of the engine. I did this on mine. messes it up.

joer

I didn't think the older onans had a distributor, they ran a 2 plug coil and both wires get spark at the same time, which negates the distributor. I'm speaking about the older NHC series, I don't know about the performer series though, As far as the no spark, depending on the engine probably just have the points off, based on what you have written you messed around with it a lot and proabaly bumped the coil pack on top of the engine. I did this on mine. messes it up.
didn't realize this was an old post, but incase any one is reading, about the lunging forward or in any direction for that matter, there is a couple of remedies, Either reach under the seat and bend the Control rods in the direction that takes the pressure off the hydra stat drive gears or take out the seat and twist the ends of the rods. If you don't want to do that I believe there is a set pin on the shaft of the drive gears.