Hubby's got a new project! Please help me!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Sherraw5101

I'm the new proud owner of a m-444 melroe. Can anyone help me find the hydraulic pump specs to this old machine? She's up and running, then pump goes out. I don't know what kind of pump it is? I've surfed the Internet, and there are so many to choose from.

OldMachinist

Bobcat part number 6511860.
Available from here http://www.loaderpartssource.com/hydraulic-gear-pump-for-bobcat-6511860.html
There's note that says the new pump isn't a direct replacement and needs a longer pressure hose.
 photo M444_hydraulicpump_zps92ef06ff.jpg

GlennsM444

Bobcat part number 6511860.
Available from here http://www.loaderpartssource.com/hydraulic-gear-pump-for-bobcat-6511860.html
There's note that says the new pump isn't a direct replacement and needs a longer pressure hose.
I want to thank you for that post. I, myself, just bought an M444 off of craigslist and I'm hungry for information on where to get parts. I paid $2,000 for mine 3 weeks ago and have gotten 3 solid days of work out of her so far. I learned she does not like air in the fuel line. I tried attaching an inline fuel filter and she kept shutting down. I think I'm gonna place the fuel filter low, close to the outlet of the tank so as to not gulp air when shes parked. Otherwise, she runs like a bull! Anyway, I have the full manual as well as the parts breakdown for that machine so if you need any info let me know. gc

OP
OP
S

Sherraw5101

I want to thank you for that post. I, myself, just bought an M444 off of craigslist and I'm hungry for information on where to get parts. I paid $2,000 for mine 3 weeks ago and have gotten 3 solid days of work out of her so far. I learned she does not like air in the fuel line. I tried attaching an inline fuel filter and she kept shutting down. I think I'm gonna place the fuel filter low, close to the outlet of the tank so as to not gulp air when shes parked. Otherwise, she runs like a bull! Anyway, I have the full manual as well as the parts breakdown for that machine so if you need any info let me know. gc
Hey GC, thanks for the info! Ya I know a great place to get parts, http://dakotaskidsteers.com/. A guy named darrin, hes the owner and pretty reasonable on prices. The parts are used but he guarentee's the parts. And the look good too! Also the guys here at the forum have a lot of great advice on things, they are pretty knowledgable. I'm having a problem right now of trying to find out what model I actually have? They said it was a M444, but I'm starting to have doubts. I'm leaning more towards the M500 now, cause some of the specs don't add up. I'll try to send pictures. Maybe someone can tell me? Anyway this is my husbands project, I'm just the researcher and part finder. But it seems to be a pretty good machine for how old it is! Thanks again Sherra

GlennsM444

Hey GC, thanks for the info! Ya I know a great place to get parts, http://dakotaskidsteers.com/. A guy named darrin, hes the owner and pretty reasonable on prices. The parts are used but he guarentee's the parts. And the look good too! Also the guys here at the forum have a lot of great advice on things, they are pretty knowledgable. I'm having a problem right now of trying to find out what model I actually have? They said it was a M444, but I'm starting to have doubts. I'm leaning more towards the M500 now, cause some of the specs don't add up. I'll try to send pictures. Maybe someone can tell me? Anyway this is my husbands project, I'm just the researcher and part finder. But it seems to be a pretty good machine for how old it is! Thanks again Sherra
Thanks sherra, I did cross a post on this site with instructions on how to determine which model you have. I, too, am starting to suspect I may have a 500 as some of the historical specs don't line up. When I get that far ill let you know. Keep me posted on your progress! gc

OldMachinist

Thanks sherra, I did cross a post on this site with instructions on how to determine which model you have. I, too, am starting to suspect I may have a 500 as some of the historical specs don't line up. When I get that far ill let you know. Keep me posted on your progress! gc
The only real difference between the gas powered M444, M500 and M600 machines are the engines.
M444 Onan
M500 Kohler
M600 Wisconsin

Thru the years engines can get swapped out. The M444 had a heavier counterweight than the others(172 lb. vs. 100 lb.) and a larger gas tank. There was a M440 also Onan powered but didn't have pressurized oil to the clutch system.
What specs are different on your machine?

GlennsM444

The only real difference between the gas powered M444, M500 and M600 machines are the engines.
M444 Onan
M500 Kohler
M600 Wisconsin

Thru the years engines can get swapped out. The M444 had a heavier counterweight than the others(172 lb. vs. 100 lb.) and a larger gas tank. There was a M440 also Onan powered but didn't have pressurized oil to the clutch system.
What specs are different on your machine?
To tell the truth, I haven't gotten out to the garage this week I verify the model. When I fire her up this weekend ill look for the serial number. And if I can't find it, I'll weigh te counterweight! Speaking for all the old Melroe owners on here, your knowledge is priceless to us. These are beautiful old machines. It is very rewarding to perform the tasks at hand with a piece of equpiment that represents the beginning of the skid steer. gc