How to engage 853 glow plugs??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Oldnewbie

Hi folks, I'm new here and new to bobcat ownership. Recently purchased an early 90's model 853. Seems good overall. I don't see a switch or button to engage the glow plugs though. It has what I've googled to be the "BOSS" electronic display. It's pretty hard to see though. The display is very dim. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

foton

it might be a good idea to go to the engine and do a glow plug test with a ohm meter , they should read only a few ohms each. The glow plug turn on might be in the start switch if no other switch is seen, sometimes if the switch is turned to the left and held beyond the off position.

rodbuilder

Turn the key backwards!!! #0 seconds if it's under 50 degrees out.....longer whne it's colder. To see if the circuit is working, use a 12 volt test light,,,,,, ground it at the battery....and touch the probe to the power strip that's located at the top of the glowplugs. Then have someone turn the key BACKWARDS. If the tester lights up you're in good shape!! To see if one or more glow plugs is bad, REMOVER that power strip, then touch the top of the glowplugs (individually!) with a volt/ohm meter (set on highest ohms!), then groun the negative lead to the engine. if any numbers come up on the meter, it's good! if there';s no readying (continuity) replace that glowplug. You can buy them on the Net for about $16 each TIP: If the glowplug circuit is junk, buy a cheap starter solenoid, like you'd find on a riding mower! Mount it far enough above the battery, so you can still get the battery out! Run a 4 gauge battery cable from either one of the big studs on the solenoid to the glowplug power strip. run another 4 gauge cable from the battery to the other big stud on the solenoid. Now TWO 14 gauge wires from where the solenoid is mounted, up to beside the seat and install a 30 amp push-button, starter switch there, where you can reach it when youre in the machine!! Now, go back to the battery and hook one of those wires up to the positive terminal on the battery.....and the other one to one of the little terminals on the solenoid. Tis is what i call the "trigger" wire! When you push the switch button, it TRIGGERS the solenoid, which closes the circuit by pulling a plunger down magnetically, which closes the circuit between the two bigger wires!!! You could put it to the battery, but why mess with the little wire when you have to mess with taking out the battery? So drill a small pilot hole in that vertical panel above the battery and attach your ground wire there, with a self-tapping screw!! BINGO!! Now when you press that starter button you will have glowplugs!!! THIS is the bulletproof way to run a glowplug circuit!!! You can use a fuse on either of the wires, but if you shield them with that plastic wire loom stuff and tie them up, you shouldn't have any problems. It;s hard to find fuses that are rated at 40 amps. 30 MIGHT do it, but I haven't had good luck with them. Glowplugs are usually rated at, at least 10 amps. Add 1 bottle of Howes antigell all winter and you'll be good to go! That 853 Isuzu should have no problem starting at 15 below or even lower, without any other aids! NEVER (ya hear me - NEVER hit the glowplugs on a diesel if you're using ether to start it, or you might blow the damn cylinder head right off it!!! That's kinda like throwing a lit M80 into a pot of gasoline.....if you know what I mean?!!! Pick one - either....OR glowplugs. NOT both!!!!!! Got it?

rodbuilder

Turn the key backwards!!! #0 seconds if it's under 50 degrees out.....longer whne it's colder. To see if the circuit is working, use a 12 volt test light,,,,,, ground it at the battery....and touch the probe to the power strip that's located at the top of the glowplugs. Then have someone turn the key BACKWARDS. If the tester lights up you're in good shape!! To see if one or more glow plugs is bad, REMOVER that power strip, then touch the top of the glowplugs (individually!) with a volt/ohm meter (set on highest ohms!), then groun the negative lead to the engine. if any numbers come up on the meter, it's good! if there';s no readying (continuity) replace that glowplug. You can buy them on the Net for about $16 each TIP: If the glowplug circuit is junk, buy a cheap starter solenoid, like you'd find on a riding mower! Mount it far enough above the battery, so you can still get the battery out! Run a 4 gauge battery cable from either one of the big studs on the solenoid to the glowplug power strip. run another 4 gauge cable from the battery to the other big stud on the solenoid. Now TWO 14 gauge wires from where the solenoid is mounted, up to beside the seat and install a 30 amp push-button, starter switch there, where you can reach it when youre in the machine!! Now, go back to the battery and hook one of those wires up to the positive terminal on the battery.....and the other one to one of the little terminals on the solenoid. Tis is what i call the "trigger" wire! When you push the switch button, it TRIGGERS the solenoid, which closes the circuit by pulling a plunger down magnetically, which closes the circuit between the two bigger wires!!! You could put it to the battery, but why mess with the little wire when you have to mess with taking out the battery? So drill a small pilot hole in that vertical panel above the battery and attach your ground wire there, with a self-tapping screw!! BINGO!! Now when you press that starter button you will have glowplugs!!! THIS is the bulletproof way to run a glowplug circuit!!! You can use a fuse on either of the wires, but if you shield them with that plastic wire loom stuff and tie them up, you shouldn't have any problems. It;s hard to find fuses that are rated at 40 amps. 30 MIGHT do it, but I haven't had good luck with them. Glowplugs are usually rated at, at least 10 amps. Add 1 bottle of Howes antigell all winter and you'll be good to go! That 853 Isuzu should have no problem starting at 15 below or even lower, without any other aids! NEVER (ya hear me - NEVER hit the glowplugs on a diesel if you're using ether to start it, or you might blow the damn cylinder head right off it!!! That's kinda like throwing a lit M80 into a pot of gasoline.....if you know what I mean?!!! Pick one - either....OR glowplugs. NOT both!!!!!! Got it?
OOPS! Top line!! Make that 30 seconds!!!!