How I solved the problem with cracked undercarriage on ASV RC 100

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Victor

So, I got this machine with undercarriage broke in many places on both sides. If I just weld, what is stooping to brake again? I came with solution. See YouTube https://youtu.be/ZT-jTLjIqos

OP
OP
V

Victor

Thanks for the info victor. Is this a weakness in all ASV or just that model
It is actually weakness in this specific undercarriage design IF machine working extremely hard. I've seen same problem through all models which using this undercarriage: ASV RC100; RC85 Terex PT100; PT110 Caterpillar 287B

Tazza

Staff member
It is actually weakness in this specific undercarriage design IF machine working extremely hard. I've seen same problem through all models which using this undercarriage: ASV RC100; RC85 Terex PT100; PT110 Caterpillar 287B
I wonder how long the welding will hold though. The welds didn't look great, i don't trust MIG welding on stuff like that, it doesn't seem to burn in deep enough.

thynes

I can see you gave this some thought. I think that will work out well. Regards, Tim in Mass.

OP
OP
V

Victor

I can see you gave this some thought. I think that will work out well. Regards, Tim in Mass.
I did this welding May 2014. As of now been a year. No problems so far. Weld DO hold. I am using ASV RC-100 with Ryan's 15" share and Fecon Bullhog BH74SS. So a lot abuse coming onto this machine. About 400 Hours. So far so good. P.S. If you do not trust mig-weld because it does not penetrate too dip - crank amperage and penetrate deeper. What is the problem?

Tazza

Staff member
I did this welding May 2014. As of now been a year. No problems so far. Weld DO hold. I am using ASV RC-100 with Ryan's 15" share and Fecon Bullhog BH74SS. So a lot abuse coming onto this machine. About 400 Hours. So far so good. P.S. If you do not trust mig-weld because it does not penetrate too dip - crank amperage and penetrate deeper. What is the problem?
I have a 250a MIG, i only really trust it to cut deep if i can bevel both pieces so i get full penetration by ensuring both pieces get hot enough. I just never found that i could get enough heat into the base metal with short welds, more so when there is a hole to weld through.
Each to their own though, if it works, that's great, hopefully it will stay that way.
It could be the gas i'm using too, i admit that some gas mixes are better as they run hotter to melt the base material.

OP
OP
V

Victor

I have a 250a MIG, i only really trust it to cut deep if i can bevel both pieces so i get full penetration by ensuring both pieces get hot enough. I just never found that i could get enough heat into the base metal with short welds, more so when there is a hole to weld through.
Each to their own though, if it works, that's great, hopefully it will stay that way.
It could be the gas i'm using too, i admit that some gas mixes are better as they run hotter to melt the base material.
The idea is the same like a rivets, or duct tape. In single point it is not too strong, but you spread load points across entire structure and you have solid effect.