Going to have to build a new gas tank, metal or aluminum?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dtrndllc

I have an ancient dinosaur. It's a M970...... Gas tank has a leak in it, so am going to have to build a new one. What are everyone's thoughts on building one out of aluminum vs steel? The factory metal one is pretty thin and am not going to be able to match that and on top of that, it will not be galvanized, so am thinking of going with aluminum. thoughts? Thanks

farmshop

Stainless steel? While aluminum is nice I would worry about it corroding if it's sitting on steel

flyerdan

will be setting on rubber.
Aluminium is far easier to work with, and the right alloy welds up nicely. If you can get away with a flat tank you can brake it and eliminate a lot of seams.
You could put a strip of zinc on it somewhere, like where bolts go through to mount it to act as sacrificial metal like they do on boats. Since it won't be operating in salt water (hopefully) there shouldn't be nearly as much galvanic action and it will last forever while providing corrosion protection.

OP
OP
D

dtrndllc

Aluminium is far easier to work with, and the right alloy welds up nicely. If you can get away with a flat tank you can brake it and eliminate a lot of seams.
You could put a strip of zinc on it somewhere, like where bolts go through to mount it to act as sacrificial metal like they do on boats. Since it won't be operating in salt water (hopefully) there shouldn't be nearly as much galvanic action and it will last forever while providing corrosion protection.
no metal on alum contact. just rubber alum contact.

Tazza

Staff member
Use aluminum 5052 or 6061, they weld very well.
Metal would be easier to weld, Aluminium would last longer. Stainless would be easier than aluminium to weld, and not rust.
I hope you get us pics, whichever way you decide to go.