Glow plug run time LX565

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Straydog

What is the correct operation of the glow plug time or engine pre-heat as the manual describes it? Should the power go off as soon as the engine starts? The reason I ask is I was bleeding the injector lines and after cranking the engine in service mode I turned the ignition off and was using a spanner to tighten the injector lines. I touched the spanner against the injector power rail and drew a spark. It seemed odd that it should still have 12 volts on it but I thought maybe since it didn't detect that the engine started might be the reason. I measured the voltage in run mode and the power remains on the injectors after the engine starts for about 30 seconds. Since it does shut off after a while it doesn't seem like there is a jammed relay or something like that.

mfyock

Change out the relay! They are known for hanging up. May have also burnt out some glowplugs already. Its the same relay as is used on the LS180 for starting. Its a little scary when the relay sticks. The starter will keep spinning and drawing current. Before you know it you melt cables terminals etc.... If you want to save some bucks there is often a manufactures number on it and you can match it up to a relay from one of the online electronics houses like Mouser or Newark.

jerry

Change out the relay! They are known for hanging up. May have also burnt out some glowplugs already. Its the same relay as is used on the LS180 for starting. Its a little scary when the relay sticks. The starter will keep spinning and drawing current. Before you know it you melt cables terminals etc.... If you want to save some bucks there is often a manufactures number on it and you can match it up to a relay from one of the online electronics houses like Mouser or Newark.
Let us know if it does it after changing the relay. My Dodge truck has a grid heater and it cycles on and off for a few minutes after starting which is normal for it. I read somewhere stated once that those glow plugs are not built for extended glows of more than 15-20 seconds though. Mine starts good if I do it when it is at 1 second left but if I wait past zero a few seconds it is definitly slower starting.

OP
OP
S

Straydog

I'll do some further investigating and figure out if its a sticky relay or something else.

OP
OP
S

Straydog

I'll do some further investigating and figure out if its a sticky relay or something else.
I took the relay out and proved that it is sluggish to operate. I would like to source one but the only markings on it is logansport.in. I searched google but had no luck finding anything like it. I'm thinking I should probably replace the start relay as well but it scares me to think how much the dealer will want for it.

jerry

I took the relay out and proved that it is sluggish to operate. I would like to source one but the only markings on it is logansport.in. I searched google but had no luck finding anything like it. I'm thinking I should probably replace the start relay as well but it scares me to think how much the dealer will want for it.
Messicks.com shows the preheat relay for about 40 bucks but check with your auto parts dealer also. I had to get a glow plug which was listed for about 50 and got it through Napa for about half that.

mfyock

Messicks.com shows the preheat relay for about 40 bucks but check with your auto parts dealer also. I had to get a glow plug which was listed for about 50 and got it through Napa for about half that.
Google "White Rodgers 120-901". Exact replacement relay. I have used them many times.

OP
OP
S

Straydog

Google "White Rodgers 120-901". Exact replacement relay. I have used them many times.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately here in Australia we don't have as much range in the stores available. My dealer is asking $60 each but didn't have any in stock so I opened up mine and put a little lubrication on the actuator. It is working well now and I see no reason to think it won't last.

jerry

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately here in Australia we don't have as much range in the stores available. My dealer is asking $60 each but didn't have any in stock so I opened up mine and put a little lubrication on the actuator. It is working well now and I see no reason to think it won't last.
Thats interesting, had to replace the starter interlock relay a couple years ago. I should have looked closer at it. The cheapest I saw the white-rodgers was $22 plus shipping.