Gehl HL3000... alternatives to ATF okay?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

XSleeper

Ok so I recently found a manual for my 1976 skid steer... and it recommends type F transmission fluid. As alternatives it lists Type A and Mercon. I guess I'm wondering if JD Hy-tran would be a good alternative as well. The HL3000 has 2 hydrostatic drive pumps. The gear boxes for the wheels and the pump drive are both lubricated with non-detergent 10w. Hy-tran is probably half the price of Mercon locally...

OP
OP
X

XSleeper

No comments on this? I really have no clue when it comes to picking out hydraulic fluid. There are so many kinds at the farm store. I assume there is something better or equal to type F that I could use. I'm changing the fluid and filters this weekend. It's been very cold here, and I'd like something that will work well in 0F for pushing snow. If I have to buy type F I will but it's so expensive! Just wondering if a 46 will work or maybe a 32? Or Hytran? Oils have changed so much since this thing was built I just want to put the right thing in.

doubletrouble

No comments on this? I really have no clue when it comes to picking out hydraulic fluid. There are so many kinds at the farm store. I assume there is something better or equal to type F that I could use. I'm changing the fluid and filters this weekend. It's been very cold here, and I'd like something that will work well in 0F for pushing snow. If I have to buy type F I will but it's so expensive! Just wondering if a 46 will work or maybe a 32? Or Hytran? Oils have changed so much since this thing was built I just want to put the right thing in.
I have an old 4500 and been using 32 for years with no problems