gehl 4500 ignition switch diagram

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

what have i done

My gehl has an electrical draw that drains the battery. I put a disconnect on the neg post. when I remember to disconnect it is usually charged and ready to to use. Well the last time I used it I did not disconnect. I hit the key and it was DEAD. this usually isnt a problem and I can throw the jumpack on and go. well this time no luck.. My buddy noticed some wires were off the ignition switch and guesed where they went. It will crank and start now but the starter drive stays engaged so something is not right. I cannot find a schematic and am not sure what wires he connected and where. I would like a diagram and some help to hook up the bare minimum to get it to start and run and turn off like it is supposed to ...any help? It is an early 80s gehl 4500 with a ford 4cyclinder engine

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds like a bad/stuck relay to me.
I got water in my machines fuse box, it drained the battery too, it was flat too long and was toast. Replaced the relays and dried up the water and it was all good. Hopefully yours is just as easy.

flyerdan

Sounds like a bad/stuck relay to me.
I got water in my machines fuse box, it drained the battery too, it was flat too long and was toast. Replaced the relays and dried up the water and it was all good. Hopefully yours is just as easy.
So you turn the key on and it immediately starts cranking? If that is the case, take the wire off the starter solenoid that comes from the ignition and ring it out (continuity test with DMM) and find which one it is at the switch. Then test the terminals of the switch and find which one only has power when it't in the start position. That will be the terminal that the starter solenoid wire goes to, and it should be the only wire on that terminal.
That should be the only critical wire in the bunch. The others will be coil ignition, fuel pump, diesel shut off, lighting circuit etc. that just go in the on position so they can be turned off with the key. I'm assuming that there isn't an accessory position like on a car where you can run the radio and wipers without having the ignition hot.

Couldn't find a manual for this, but did run across a slew of parts books for Gehl, which I'll add to the manual thread as well.

OP
OP
W

what have i done

So you turn the key on and it immediately starts cranking? If that is the case, take the wire off the starter solenoid that comes from the ignition and ring it out (continuity test with DMM) and find which one it is at the switch. Then test the terminals of the switch and find which one only has power when it't in the start position. That will be the terminal that the starter solenoid wire goes to, and it should be the only wire on that terminal.
That should be the only critical wire in the bunch. The others will be coil ignition, fuel pump, diesel shut off, lighting circuit etc. that just go in the on position so they can be turned off with the key. I'm assuming that there isn't an accessory position like on a car where you can run the radio and wipers without having the ignition hot.

Couldn't find a manual for this, but did run across a slew of parts books for Gehl, which I'll add to the manual thread as well.
I was not able to find an actual diagram, it probably wouldnt have helped much anyway as this 1980 machine has been tinkered with before. I got a replacement ignition switch from john deere, that matched the one that was in there. I lengthened all of the wires about 6 inches and started figuring out what went where. I was turning the key and checking for spark with each new combination. When I got it right the old girl fired right up.. I cleaned up the rest of the connections and got back to work with it. Filled the trench dug last week to replace my sewer line, then moved a bunch of stuff to the burn pile. Tonight I will jump back in the drivers seat to clear the snow we got during the night. Im back to really liking this thing. :)

Tazza

Staff member
I was not able to find an actual diagram, it probably wouldnt have helped much anyway as this 1980 machine has been tinkered with before. I got a replacement ignition switch from john deere, that matched the one that was in there. I lengthened all of the wires about 6 inches and started figuring out what went where. I was turning the key and checking for spark with each new combination. When I got it right the old girl fired right up.. I cleaned up the rest of the connections and got back to work with it. Filled the trench dug last week to replace my sewer line, then moved a bunch of stuff to the burn pile. Tonight I will jump back in the drivers seat to clear the snow we got during the night. Im back to really liking this thing. :)
Glad you got it running, they sure save a lot of hard work when they are running, when they won't, it can drive you mad :)