Gehl 3510 question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bleoh

Hi all, I had a Bobcat 610 for a while but sold that. I have a need for a skidsteer again and I am going to go look at a Gehl 3510. Are there any things particular to this machine that I should look out for or know about when looking at it? Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
As with most gear with an engine, se it starting cold, put your paw on it to make surre it is indeed cold. If a diesel isn't in good shape, the seller will generally warm it up before you get there ro make it easier to start.
WHen you know the motor is good, check for wear in the pivot points be retracting and extending the rams and watching the linkages to see how much they move.
I'm sure i have missed something, but it's a good start.

OP
OP
B

bleoh

As with most gear with an engine, se it starting cold, put your paw on it to make surre it is indeed cold. If a diesel isn't in good shape, the seller will generally warm it up before you get there ro make it easier to start.
WHen you know the motor is good, check for wear in the pivot points be retracting and extending the rams and watching the linkages to see how much they move.
I'm sure i have missed something, but it's a good start.
Thanks for the tips. I went and looked at it today and bought the machine from the original owner who purchased it in 1980 or 1981 (he was not sure). You could tell he was the kind of owner who took care of his tools and this machined showed that. I had to wait a day to go look at it because the owner insisted on putting in a new battery. It is a SL3510 with the Ford gas engine and 1900 hours on the clock. Started right up and ran great with no smoke or funny noises. There is very little play in the joints (all looked like they were regularly greased) and I could not find any signs that it has ever been welded back together. It has the wide tire option (27x8.50x15), a 54" bucket (not sure if it is the "utility" bucket or the light material bucket), a manure fork and a door and covers to close in the cab (though the plastic is very hazy). It also came with the brochure and 68 page owners manual as well as an oil filter and a replacement flasher light. The bad: There is a tear in the seat, the bucket has some rust holes that need to be patched, the engine is due for an oil change and the hour meter stopped working recently when he broke the light (thinks it blew a fuse). Now, if I could find some pallet forks and the grapple kit with aux hydraulics add on for the manure forks that would be awesome! I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures later.

Blaine Man

Thanks for the tips. I went and looked at it today and bought the machine from the original owner who purchased it in 1980 or 1981 (he was not sure). You could tell he was the kind of owner who took care of his tools and this machined showed that. I had to wait a day to go look at it because the owner insisted on putting in a new battery. It is a SL3510 with the Ford gas engine and 1900 hours on the clock. Started right up and ran great with no smoke or funny noises. There is very little play in the joints (all looked like they were regularly greased) and I could not find any signs that it has ever been welded back together. It has the wide tire option (27x8.50x15), a 54" bucket (not sure if it is the "utility" bucket or the light material bucket), a manure fork and a door and covers to close in the cab (though the plastic is very hazy). It also came with the brochure and 68 page owners manual as well as an oil filter and a replacement flasher light. The bad: There is a tear in the seat, the bucket has some rust holes that need to be patched, the engine is due for an oil change and the hour meter stopped working recently when he broke the light (thinks it blew a fuse). Now, if I could find some pallet forks and the grapple kit with aux hydraulics add on for the manure forks that would be awesome! I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures later.
Congratulations on you new toy. The hazy plastic can be cleared up by a Toothbrush and Toothpaste, use to work on the 70's convertibles.