Gehl 2600 tilt cylinders please

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nowhereman

Hello, I have a great running 79 gehl 2600. Problem is the left bucket tilt cylinder cracked and I'm having a hard time finding one. I've also looked for a pair with the idea of replacing in pairs is best. If I can figure out how to tear the cylinder apart I'll try to weld it, it's trash anyway might as well try. I've found out that gehl used two different cylinders on these and there is suppose to be a stamp near the tang to ID which cylinder I have, but no such luck on finding a stamp. Any help from the members is appreciated. Thx, Eric

Tazza

Staff member
Where has it cracked?
If it's the base, you can simply extend the rod, sit it upside down, grind teh crack out a bit, then weld up.
Some cylinders can be a little harder to get open, some have screw in glands, some use snap rings, i have seen some that use a wire....

OP
OP
N

nowhereman

Where has it cracked?
If it's the base, you can simply extend the rod, sit it upside down, grind teh crack out a bit, then weld up.
Some cylinders can be a little harder to get open, some have screw in glands, some use snap rings, i have seen some that use a wire....
Thx Tazza, sorry no follow up, other pressing projects overwhelmed me. After much research I've found that the ram is Columbus brand. I don't think it's cracked now that I have it on bench. It looks like the crack is actually a groove where some kinda retaining ring should be and there is a 1/4 inch flat on the end cap that looks like it allows some type of wrench for screwing out cap??? However, I still can't take it apart and a note from a gehl service person on the tear down process was no help. At this point I'm searching for salvaged/used Rams, but not finding any. I'll take pictures and try to post them. Sure do appreciate your reply.

OP
OP
N

nowhereman

Thx Tazza, sorry no follow up, other pressing projects overwhelmed me. After much research I've found that the ram is Columbus brand. I don't think it's cracked now that I have it on bench. It looks like the crack is actually a groove where some kinda retaining ring should be and there is a 1/4 inch flat on the end cap that looks like it allows some type of wrench for screwing out cap??? However, I still can't take it apart and a note from a gehl service person on the tear down process was no help. At this point I'm searching for salvaged/used Rams, but not finding any. I'll take pictures and try to post them. Sure do appreciate your reply.
I don't see how to attach picture. Are photos not allowed?

flyerdan

I don't see how to attach picture. Are photos not allowed?
Yes, photos are allowed, but if you want anything other than an uninterrupted string of text (ie. pics, links, paragraphs or formatting) you have to hand code in all of the html like building a webpage in notepad.
If you have a link to a pic in photobucket or somewhere, just dump the address text in and one of us will be along to sort it.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, photos are allowed, but if you want anything other than an uninterrupted string of text (ie. pics, links, paragraphs or formatting) you have to hand code in all of the html like building a webpage in notepad.
If you have a link to a pic in photobucket or somewhere, just dump the address text in and one of us will be along to sort it.
Sadly the forum software is a little harder to upload images to
If you look up my profile, send me an email with the picture and i'll hopefully be able to help you out.